How far off are we really? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How far off are we really?

toby64 said:
Who are our Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge.

Until we get influential leaders who stand up in big games rather than go missing we won't get close to a flag.

100% correct.
The 4 flags are on the back Hodge and then Mitchell, Roughead and Lewis.
All know one way. Hard and tough.
Not like the cats we have.
Time to off load the ones that let us down consistently.
Conca, Ellis, Grigg.

zippadeee said:
100% correct.
The 4 flags are on the back Hodge and then Mitchell, Roughead and Lewis.
All know one way. Hard and tough.
Not like the cats we have.
Time to off load the ones that let us down consistently.
Conca, Ellis, Grigg.
You forgot "Griffens" :D

After 3 EFs, this group has plateaued. Is the club prepared to make some tough decisions on players, coaching staff? So far at least I'm not seeing it.
I hope that they're not still thinking that natural improvement will come from within.
I'm not comfortable with the club simply playing finals. I hope they're not.
Flag is the only acceptable result next season anything else is a fail.

Tigers of Old said:
After 3 EFs, this group has plateaued. Is the club prepared to make some tough decisions on players, coaching staff? So far at least I'm not seeing it.
I hope that they're still thinking that natural improvement will come from within.
I'm not comfortable with the club simply playing finals. I hope they're not.
Flag is the only acceptable result next season anything else is a fail.

I hear ya. For me a prelim a bare pass. A gf a good pass, a tick. A flag, obviously an A+, a big tick and multiple koala stamps

You two are taking it easy on the club.

For me I won't be satisfied unless we beat Melbourne, no matter whether we win a GF or not.

I'd like to beat the bulldogs twice in a season.

Then move on to Hobart roos

Our inconsistency kills us can't beat teams like dees dogs cats who are crap now and north but can beat top 4 sides. This is our Achilles heal hence why I have no faith in us all the time. This inconsistency must affect the players mind set.

We are at least 2 / 3 decent players away from rectifying this minimum.......

duddelist said:
Our inconsistency kills us can't beat teams like dees dogs cats who are crap now and north but can beat top 4 sides. This is our Achilles heal hence why I have no faith in us all the time. This inconsistency must affect the players mind set.

We are at least 2 / 3 decent players away from rectifying this minimum.......

Don't agree. Generally speaking we win the games we should and are pretty consistent. Every top side drops 1 or 2 games against bottom sides, and also usually has a bit of a slump during a season. We aren't unusual really in that regard. The broader issue is we have to lift across the board to make the top 4.

Hawks have poached gun players from other clubs & the result is before our eyes. Tigers have supplement its list with delisted players & the result is somewhat disappointing.. Now how do the Hawks manage to fit all their players into the their salary cap ?. Can someone elaborate on that ?.

Depends on this Trade Period. If we don't bring in A grade talent the club and players may have a year from hell next year. The players have taken a pay cut, the club has talked up the need to improve our list - we cant just roll into next season rolling out "We are going to be better and make up for the disappointment of losing the final" Who knows maybe a down year is what we need - clear the decks for a Fresh push to the Flag. It really all comes down to the recruiting.

Tigaman said:
Hawks have poached gun players from other clubs & the result is before our eyes. Tigers have supplement its list with delisted players & the result is somewhat disappointing.. Now how do the Hawks manage to fit all their players into the their salary cap ?. Can someone elaborate on that ?.

Lets see hey Mr A Grader we see your not playing finals this year and are a free agent, how about you join us at Hawthorn?

You'll get a little less than you could at XXXXX club, but we guarantee you'll finish in a final four team with a good chance at a premiership.

Interested?

We'll let you have a chat to a few of our previous recruits from other clubs, to get a feel for how that usually works out?

Doesn't see like a bad pitch to me !

Mappa said:
Lets see hey Mr A Grader we see your not playing finals this year and are a free agent, how about you join us at Hawthorn?

You'll get a little less than you could at XXXXX club, but we guarantee you'll finish in a final four team with a good chance at a premiership.

Interested?

We'll let you have a chat to a few of our previous recruits from other clubs, to get a feel for how that usually works out?

Good after footy career move too - get National TV recognition. so the payoff would be better for $$$ after footy.

Mappa said:

Interested?

Lake joined Hawthorn after they had gone 4 years since winning their last Grand Final. Not sure how any team can guarantee that they will finish top 4.

tigersnake said:
Don't agree. Generally speaking we win the games we should and are pretty consistent. Every top side drops 1 or 2 games against bottom sides, and also usually has a bit of a slump during a season. We aren't unusual really in that regard. The broader issue is we have to lift across the board to make the top 4.

In all but one of the early season starts under Hardwick's tenure we have played crap either barely winning matches against woeful opponents or losing against them, this is totally unacceptable to have a side come out of a pre-season with crap skills and running around like it is just a training session.

A decent side sets up their finals campaign early building wins and percentage to make things easier when it really counts, if our coaching staff cannot get our side ready by Round 1 each season then we need new coaching staff.

With Newman ,Pettard, Knights ,McDonut, Foley & Arnott off our books I do think Lennon ,Lambert, Menadue , Corey Ellis & McBean will step up next year after this 2015 season. Add Castagna as well as a lot of people have a high opinion of him. With the trade Tigers must pick up a quality player without getting the short end of the stick. Maric does a great job & I would like to see another one recruited to support him. Nicholls maybe.

Tigaman said:
With Newman ,Pettard, Knights ,McDonut, Foley & Arnott off our books I do think Lennon ,Lambert, Menadue , Corey Ellis & McBean will step up next year after this 2015 season. Add Castagna as well as a lot of people have a high opinion of him. With the trade Tigers must pick up a quality player without getting the short end of the stick. Maric does a great job & I would like to see another one recruited to support him. Nicholls maybe.

Reckon next year might be a step back, with bigger steps forward in the couple of years after.

I'll be happy just to get into the 8 next year.

Midsy said:
Reckon next year might be a step back, with bigger steps forward in the couple of years after.

probably right. step back, dimma sacked, new coach, bigger steps forward.

toby64 said:
Who are our Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge.

Until we get influential leaders who stand up in big games rather than go missing we won't get close to a flag.

There's a lot to this. Successful teams have successful leaders.
The Hawks leaders are what makes them a great club.
They know what it takes and stand up in the big moments.
It's impressive.
On the other hand our leaders were found wanting (AGAIN) on the big stage.
Incredibly frustrating.