How far off are we really? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How far off are we really?

3 elimination finals losses

1st - semi final
2nd - prelim (1 goal off GF)
3rd - prelim (5 goals off GF)

It's rare for teams from 5th-8th to make a prelim, but we've been knocked out twice by teams that did go on to make a prelim and nearly a Grand Final.

From this perspective, our last 2 elimination finals losses are difficult to gauge because they've been at the hands of far superior teams than you'd usually expect to face in an elimination final.

We're closer than we look IMO.

Chimptastic said:
From this perspective, our last 2 elimination finals losses are difficult to gauge because they've been at the hands of far superior teams than you'd usually expect to face in an elimination final.

I don't buy that North are a far superior team. The rolled us because we're they're bunnnies. They were lucky to hit a depleted Swans in the Semi.

Chimptastic said:
3 elimination finals losses

1st - semi final
2nd - prelim (1 goal off GF)
3rd - prelim (5 goals off GF)

It's rare for teams from 5th-8th to make a prelim, but we've been knocked out twice by teams that did go on to make a prelim and nearly a Grand Final.

We're closer than we look IMO.

how can we be closer than we look if teams we meet in EFs are "far superior"?

you can't have both.

Hawthorn are in another class, maybe. West Coast perhaps. But no one else.

Baloo said:
I don't buy that North are a far superior team. The rolled us because we're they're bunnnies. They were lucky to hit a depleted Swans in the Semi.

Agree, and at that ghetto oval.

i can't fathom how the team that won 2 finals isn't better than the team that won none.

does anyone actually believe Dimma's take about the eagles losing 3 eliminations finals in a row from 2002-2004 before playing off in 2 GFs? its just spin for mine.

Ian4 said:
does anyone actually believe Dimma's take about the eagles losing 3 eliminations finals in a row from 2002-2004 before playing off in 2 GFs? its just spin for mine.

It either happened or it didn't. Not something you can make up and get away with

Ian4 said:

It's feel good bit of narrative is all. Think of another scenario and it too has probably happened.

We didn't improve the squad that much, if at all. Unless the Club find a way to make a meaningful improvement this off season, we might actually see a decline - much hinges on this trade period and draft.

DLR said:
It's feel good bit of narrative is all. Think of another scenario and it too has probably happened.

We didn't improve the squad that much, if at all. Unless the Club find a way to make a meaningful improvement this off season, we might actually see a decline - much hinges on this trade period and draft.
Yeah, just because a side lost 3 consecutive EFs then won a flag 2 seasons later is absolutely meaningless. I'm sure there's a case where a side has lost 3 EFs then slumped back out of the finals the following year.

tigertim said:
i can't fathom how the team that won 2 finals isn't better than the team that won none.

Only on PRE. North have been superior, pretty hard to dispute facts.

jb03 said:
Only on PRE. North have been superior, pretty hard to dispute facts.

There is a significant difference between "superior" and "far superior"

tigertim said:

Any team can win on their day. That doesn't make them the better team overall, just the better team on the day. Are Melbourne a better side than us? Are the Suns? We played horribly and the score flattered North with some junk time goals. It was very close most of day even though our skipper had his worst game for the club and Lids failed to fire. That suggests to me that North are far from superior. Goods sides win when they are underdone, but that is harder to do at the end of the season and it showed. I expect Hardwick to have our engine room in much better nick next September.

KnightersRevenge said:
Any team can win on their day. That doesn't make them the better team overall, just the better team on the day. Are Melbourne a better side than us? Are the Suns? We played horribly and the score flattered North with some junk time goals. It was very close most of day even though our skipper had his worst game for the club and Lids failed to fire. That suggests to me that North are far from superior. Goods sides win when they are underdone, but that is harder to do at the end of the season and it showed. I expect Hardwick to have our engine room in much better nick next September.
I thought someone would bring in other scenarios and excuses. We aren't talking about Melbourne or GCS. We,re talking about North and Richmond 2015. North beat Richmond in rd9(?) and also in the EF. They then went on to win again the following week v Sydney. I think that makes North superior to RFC on 2 fronts. They beat us regularly and they win finals (again against us and other teams)

tigertim said:
I thought someone would bring in other scenarios and excuses. We aren't talking about Melbourne or GCS. We,re talking about North and Richmond 2015. North beat Richmond in rd9(?) and also in the EF. They then went on to win again the following week v Sydney. I think that makes North superior to RFC on 2 fronts. They beat us regularly and they win finals (again against us and other teams)

That's cool tt, these are opinions dude. 8- We would have beaten Sydney too had we got past North. Some teams match up well against others. We've seemed to get close to the Hawks even when we were still a bottom 8 side, we used to beat Brissy in Brissy even when they were on top. North have us as bunnies but it's a very slim margin ATM. They won so they were better on the day, I don't consider them a better side (in personnel terms) but they are a better "team".

KnightersRevenge said:
That's cool tt, these are opinions dude. 8- We would have beaten Sydney too had we got past North. Some teams match up well against others. We've seemed to get close to the Hawks even when we were still a bottom 8 side, we used to beat Brissy in Brissy even when they were on top. North have us as bunnies but it's a very slim margin ATM. They won so they were better on the day, I don't consider them a better side (in personnel terms) but they are a better "team".
no worries KR :)

Ian4 said:
IT SMACKS OF DESPERATION FROM A COACH TRYING TO HANG ON TO HIS JOB , WAY LONGER THAN HE SHOULD

tigertim said:
Yeah, just because a side lost 3 consecutive EFs then won a flag 2 seasons later is absolutely meaningless. I'm sure there's a case where a side has lost 3 EFs then slumped back out of the finals the following year.
Training on amphetamines is a big advantage in developing a tank, that might be a contributory factor, ask Chick

In 2015 we performed very well against the top four and poorly against the rest of the eight. How do you make sense of that? It's definitely a game style/team shape thing.

Dyer'ere said:
In 2015 we performed very well against the top four and poorly against the rest of the eight. How do you make sense of that? It's definitely a game style/team shape thing.
I think its the 'Hunter vs the Hunted' concept Jack. We still don't seem to have a Plan B to combat when other teams shut down our Plan A.

Rancey18 said:
I think its the 'Hunter vs the Hunted' concept Jack. We still don't seem to have a Plan B to combat when other teams shut down our Plan A.

You'd probably think Bennell and Yarran may be part of that Plan B that we are looking for.