How far off are we really? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How far off are we really?

Another gun mid who can extract the ball.???
A classy fwd/mid - bennell
A CHB to replace Chaplin ( Carlisle is avail? i like him)
Yarran will prob help running around if he's heads right ( to replace grigg)

This should push us into top 4 and from there I reckon we've got a real chance. We can beat all the top teams. I reckon we're very close. That's why I think this trade period is so important for us to bring in established A grade talent!!!

Saw a report on one of the trade rumour sites that Bennell met with Tigers today......not sure of its veracity obviously ...

I agree with others that say we aren't far off.

We need some more class and bigger bodies in the middle, Bennell and Redden could change our team massively.

Whilst I get why some people are unsure of Yarran, but IMO the Yarran types are useless in lower ladder teams but the cream that the teams at the top need. Bradley Hill, Stephen Hill and Josh Hill are perfect examples, they add class to their teams but I reckon if you put those guys in bottom 5 teams instead of top 5 teams they would be as much use as Yarran was this year.

Those 3 would make us an infinitely better team.

We do need to replace Maric and Chaplin at some point but I think the 3 named above change us enough to get into the Top 4 and really then its anyones game.

With the improvement that we should see from Lennon, C Ellis, Menadue and the likes of them we are in a decent place. Bringing in a big bodied mid and someone with class (particularly an A grader like Bennell) and over the next few years I reckon we have a real shot.

houdini said:
We are one good coach away from being contenders, but unfortunately we are stuck with one of the worst in the AFl

How many coaches have taken us to 3 consecutive final series? Seriously why do people make such comments? Its far more reasonable to say he's a good coach with limitations that may prevent him from being a premiership coach.

Hard to say. If we persist with our ultra defensive choke game plan then we are a long long way off. We need to evolve into a more attacking team and game plan with more run and flair with more attacking players. If this transition is not done right it could backfire and we could slide down the ladder. However we need to do this otherwise we wont get near a flag, so some short term pain might well be required to get to the flag. Just a matter of how much is the question. Handbrake needs to release the handbrake, but my gut feel is hes too afraid and stubborn to do so.

Harry said:
Hard to say. If we persist with our ultra defensive choke game plan then we are a long long way off. We need to evolve into a more attacking team and game plan with more run and flair with more attacking players. If this transition is not done right it could backfire and we could slide down the ladder. However we need to do this otherwise we wont get near a flag, so some short term pain might well be required to get to the flag. Just a matter of how much is the question. Handbrake needs to release the handbrake, but my gut feel is hes too afraid and stubborn to do so.

Reckon he will Harry ... when we're 3-10.

Harry said:

I think Dimma's two-speed set up is an attempt to get them understand when to attack and when to defend. I hope the idea is to get to a stage where they don't need to be told.

houdini said:
We are one good coach away from being contenders, but unfortunately we are stuck with one of the worst in the AFl

Sums it up really well! :clap :clap

KnightersRevenge said:
I think Dimma's two-speed set up is an attempt to get them understand when to attack and when to defend. I hope the idea is to get to a stage where they don't need to be told.

This has merit I reckon.. I used to do training sessions at work where they spoke about moving from a state of unconscious incompetence to conscious incompetence to conscious competence and finally to unconscious competence .......Hawks are pretty much at that unconscious competence stage, where they instinctively do the right thing most of the time....I think we are now at the conscious competence stage....ie., we still have to consciously move to the right positions and organise etc when we don't have the ball.....but we improved a lot in this respect this year...Still a way to go though.

A couple of good on field leaders away

They don't grow on trees unfortunately

It is in the heads that we fail.

The coaching failed, some of the best players failed.

We almost won whilst being outplayed.

We need to get it together psychologically.

Yes we need another ruckman, a small forward, another big backman.

But it is the upstairs factor that will make us or break us.

Not far.

Some gaps to fill, that's up to the recruiters. The rest is up to the players - unless they're ravenous for success, they'll continue to fall short.