Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist!

Baloo said:
If Chimp and Sam do get awarded the Brownlow, it would only be fitting for them to receive it before the next match we have against each other. While they couldn't get the glory of the night, they'll have 50-60k supporters cheering both of them on when they get it.

This, or roll it into this years Brownlow ceremony and formally accord them the recognition they deserve. No for me if it's an under the table, tarnished, belated gesture carried out at KAOS headquarters. If they're going to get it, please, some respect and dignity.

If the afl act on this I bet that they'll say no Brownlow was won that year.

Mitchell made his thoughts clear at EFC and what he truly thought with the jab in the arm action. I think he would gladly take it and rightfully so !

I bet thought the AFL will gag him and make sure he is humble. But imo his view would be they cheated, juiced up players and one of them beat me to the award. they are guilty/suspended like any other player rubbed out thus ineligible for the brownlow. (Eg Corey Mckernan).

In fact he should approach the AFL and plead his case to receive the award.

"The CAS panel labelled 'wholly unconvincing' claims from captain Jobe Watson that he was doubtful of the disastrous injection regimen, pointing out he continued being jabbed until late in the season. 'Mr Watson’s explanation as to why, if he had lost faith in the program, he did not simply say that he did not intend to receive further injections, was that it was easier to just say ‘yeah OK’, was not wholly convincing ...'"

- CAS finding according to HS

More than likely he continued receiving the injections because he was playing the best football of his life.

The AFL shouldn't even deign to hear Watson's "case".

23.21.159 said:
Not sure this is true.
Going by this page : http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jobe_Watson.html
his averages for each season are:-

2003 : 2.0
2004 : 11.3
2005 : 11.0
2006 : 22.8
2007 : 23.3
2008 : 24.1
2009 : 24.7
2010 : 27.2
2011 : 26.2
2012 : 29.0
2013 : 27.5
2014 : 27.4
2015 : 23.9

His 2012 stats could be seen as just the natural peak of a career.
OR
You could note that in the five years from 2010 to 2014, it does stick out when compared the other four which are extremely similar.

I got mine from Footywire. Strange they are different, or I messed it up.

Can't believe Tim Watson thinks he should keep it. Does he not realise how it will be forever tainted, Jobe will never be regarded as a brownlow medallist.

IanG said:
Can't believe Tim Watson thinks he should keep it. Does he not realise how it will be forever tainted, Jobe will never be regarded as a brownlow medallist.
Watson won't be the first player to have got the most votes in a particular year but not collected the medal.
Cotchin and Mitchell deserve the award.

CarnTheTiges said:
Not just Watson, any Essendon player on the program who got votes that season should have them removed from the record books. I think if Watson loses it, as he should, they'll put an asterisk next to it and say no award was given that year.

This is what's most likely to happen.

And what's this crap about meeting with Jab Watson in Feb?
Are they hoping he'll just hand in his medal?

FOLKS, DO NOT GET SUCKED INTO THIS MEANINGLESS DEBATE. THE REAL ISSUE IS THE INTEGRITY OF THE AFL, THE DISHONEST ATTEMPT TO COVER UP THE ISSUE AND THE COLLUSION TO PROTECT THEIR FAT SALARIES.

THIS WAS A SYSTEMATIC CLUB-WIDE DRUG PROGRAM THAT THE AFL LAMELY ATTEMPTS TO PROTEST THAT AN INJUSTICE HAS BEEN DONE.

ALL INVOLVED IN THE SCANDAL AT BOTH THE EFC AND AFL SHOULD BE MADE TO RESIGN.

TO BE CLEAR JOBES BROWNLOW IS NOT THE ISSUE (SHOULD HAVE BEEN STRIPPED FROM HIM A LONG TIME AGO)

THE AFL NEEDS A CLEAN SLATE TO REBUILD ITS REPUTATION.

Tigerflag2008 said:
FOLKS, DO NOT GET SUCKED INTO THIS MEANINGLESS DEBATE. THE REAL ISSUE IS THE INTEGRITY OF THE AFL, THE DISHONEST ATTEMPT TO COVER UP THE ISSUE AND THE COLLUSION TO PROTECT THEIR FAT SALARIES.

THIS WAS A SYSTEMATIC CLUB-WIDE DRUG PROGRAM THAT THE AFL LAMELY ATTEMPTS TO PROTEST THAT AN INJUSTICE HAS BEEN DONE.

ALL INVOLVED IN THE SCANDAL AT BOTH THE EFC AND AFL SHOULD BE MADE TO RESIGN.

TO BE CLEAR JOBES BROWNLOW IS NOT THE ISSUE (SHOULD HAVE BEEN STRIPPED FROM HIM A LONG TIME AGO)

THE AFL NEEDS A CLEAN SLATE TO REBUILD ITS REPUTATION.

and it won't happen. Gil is the new Sepp.

Ghost of Punt Road said:
I got mine from Footywire. Strange they are different, or I messed it up.

You quoted 17 for the average in 2011. According to the page I quoted that was the number of games he played. Did you read the wrong column?

Al Bundy said:
Mitchell made his thoughts clear at EFC and what he truly thought with the jab in the arm action. I think he would gladly take it and rightfully so !

I bet thought the AFL will gag him and make sure he is humble. But imo his view would be they cheated, juiced up players and one of them beat me to the award. they are guilty/suspended like any other player rubbed out thus ineligible for the brownlow. (Eg Corey Mckernan).

In fact he should approach the AFL and plead his case to receive the award.

Chris Grant.

TigerForce said:
and it won't happen. Gil is the new Sepp.
We could start a petition calling for the resignation of key AFL officials responsible for the corrupt drug tribunal process. Anyone know how to do this?

Tigers of Old said:
Imagine if Watson had been suspended by Wada before the medal count..

Would people say Cotchin & Mitchell deserved it then?

It's not their fault that this drama has taken 3 *smile*ing years to play out.

Lesson should be cheats never prosper. Give it to the clean runners up.

spot on. i'm at a loss to comprehend the mentality of the people who have said 'there should be no Brownlow awarded for that year.'

tigertim said:
If the afl act on this I bet that they'll say no Brownlow was won that year.

the AFL have a reputation for always making the soft/easy decision.

Tigerflag2008 said:
We could start a petition calling for the resignation of key AFL officials responsible for the corrupt drug tribunal process. Anyone know how to do this?

Where is Phantom when we need him.

Is it as easy as taking the medal off the now suspended Jobe Watson and awarding it to the joint runners-up?

Yes IMO.

Why? Because all votes are included in the counting of a Brownlow Medal even the votes for suspended and therefore ineligible to win players. Therefore the votes for the 2012 Brownlow must stand. It is feasible that a player can poll the most votes in a Brownlow but not be awarded the Medal as he has been suspended during the year. What is the difference of the winning vote collecting player being suspended after the event?

This then raises the question of the betting payout on the 2012 Brownlow Medal - there is absolutely no chance those that collected on Jobe Watson winning the Brownlow will give their winnings back to the Bookmaker/TAB. But are those that punted on Sam and Trent eligible for a dead-heat dividend?

NO IMO.

Why? If a winning horse is guilty of been doped and the fact is found out weeks after the race, the horse is disqualified and the owners of the horse lose the prizemoney but the correct weight for betting payouts stand.

Then comes the question of how do Trent and Sam feel about being awarded the 2012 Brownlow after the "first-past-the-post" is disqualified?

I draw a simile to the great Australian Women's Sprinter Raelene Boyle - In 1972 in the 100m and 200m she was beaten by the East German Renate Stecher who was later to be found to have participated in the East German Government sponsored athletics enhanced drug taking program. Raelene to this day feels she has been cheated by Renate. Raelene has never been awarded the Gold Medals.

I feel it would be wrong to put Sam and Trent through the same agony as Raelene when they reflect on their illustrious football careers.

As a kid growing up my father always said the Brownlow is for the Best and FAIREST player in the League for the year. Drug cheating does not represent the word "fairest" IMO and therefore Jobe Watson should be disqualified from the 2012 Brownlow Medal.

The only possible wiggle room I see the AFL Commission having is that Jobe Watson was not suspended at the time of the Medal count and therefore was eligible for the 2012 Brownlow Medal. His suspension is for 2016 and therefore he cannot win the 2016 Brownlow Medal - which he will now find very difficult to poll votes in anyway.

Tigerflag2008 said:
Call Eddie McGuire and maybe Jeff Kennett.

All depending on what top-up players the Bummers get, and if they start winning games, this could really start a war within the season.

I can't believe they're allowing Jabba to 'answer his case' at the AFL for the Brownlow Medal. This is nothing but a formality.

I cant see Jobe keeping it, as much as he is now a convected drug cheat i believe him to be a proud young guy, he will hand it back.

I am also in the camp that it goes to 2nd place- Cotch & Mitch...

Of course there are then queries as to voting in EFC games and them taking votes of other etc etc....

Unfortunately for Cotch and Mitch they won't get the true recognition they deserve...

FWIW i also agree with others i cant see Mitch saying NO to it, great player but a massive FIGJAM

TigerForce said:
I can't believe they're allowing Jabba to 'answer his case' at the AFL for the Brownlow Medal. This is nothing but a formality.

If Dane Swan's medal was tainted, I don't think the AFL would hesitate to strip it. This all about image protection for Jobe and, by extension, Tim.

Watching footage of Tim Watson pleading the case for Jobe to keep his medal was a bit sad and pathetic. I don't begrudge him for doing it, he's his dad. The blokes asking the questions couldn't look him in the eye. Said if you look at Jobe's testimony to CAS, you'll see he should keep it. Then I looked at the analysis of Jobes testimony in the link jb posted in the main essendon drugs thread, seems like the opposite is actually true.