Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist!

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
R8
3 - Deledio
2 - Stanton
1 - Watson

Cotchin 29 disposals, 6 tackles, 3 goals, 0 votes

R22
3 - Cotchin
2 - Tuck
1 - Deledio

So, strip him of all his votes, and Cotch and Mitchell would still finish on the same amount of votes? Then they both deserve a belated medal? I'll go with that.

We now have to wait for the AFL to decide in a months time, lets drag it out even further....

Ghost of Punt Road said:
Watson, disposals per game, 2011: 17
Watson, disposals per game, 2012: 29

Not sure this is true.
Going by this page : http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jobe_Watson.html
his averages for each season are:-

2003 : 2.0
2004 : 11.3
2005 : 11.0
2006 : 22.8
2007 : 23.3
2008 : 24.1
2009 : 24.7
2010 : 27.2
2011 : 26.2
2012 : 29.0
2013 : 27.5
2014 : 27.4
2015 : 23.9

His 2012 stats could be seen as just the natural peak of a career.
OR
You could note that in the five years from 2010 to 2014, it does stick out when compared the other four which are extremely similar.

It's a no brainer for me.
Take it off him.
Have an * next to 2012's brownlow.

Giving it to Trent and Sam puts them in a difficult position, so I say no.

Cotchin and Mitchell would be worthy Brownlow Medallists.

And it would give the AFL an opportunity to show they get it. (so don't count on it)

Tigers of Old said:
Absolutely. Who could argue that they don't deserve it?

Hird, Dank & EFC who have submitted a letter to the AFL for JAB to keep it for FS !

Ling, T Shaw have already publicly said he should loose it.

#handitbackjobe

Imagine if Watson had been suspended by Wada before the medal count..

Would people say Cotchin & Mitchell deserved it then?

It's not their fault that this drama has taken 3 *smile*ing years to play out.

Lesson should be cheats never prosper. Give it to the clean runners up.

Tigers of Old said:

:clap spot on !

If Chimp and Sam do get awarded the Brownlow, it would only be fitting for them to receive it before the next match we have against each other. While they couldn't get the glory of the night, they'll have 50-60k supporters cheering both of them on when they get it.

Tigers of Old said:

x2 Hard to logically argue against stripping the award from Watson. Though if you could argue rationally with Essendon supporters there would be no Essendon supporters (apologies to House).

Jobe can't keep the brownlow. I can't think of any other sport in the world where you could keep an award you won during a period you have been fould guilty of taking a banned substance.

If it is to be seen as a credible organisation, the AFL must take a strong and principled stand against sanctioned drug cheats, particularly in elite professional football. And such a public stand includes stripping Watson of his Brownlow medal and awarding it to the rightful recipients.
It's a no brainer in my book.

poppa x said:
It's a no brainer for me.
Take it off him.
Have an * next to 2012's brownlow.

Giving it to Trent and Sam puts them in a difficult position, so I say no.
Goes a lot deeper than Watson I suspect that a number of the other banned players ie Heppell, Stanton, Hurley etc polled votes - all should be invalid. If you upgrade the votes say in a game Hurley got 3 and Watson 2 and X polled 1, He should get 3 you could wind up with someone else finishing in front of Mitchell and Cotch. In addition in the example above who might have got the 2 and the 1. I think the * is the only solution.

Gazmatron said:
Goes a lot deeper than Watson I suspect that a number of the other banned players ie Heppell, Stanton, Hurley etc polled votes - all should be invalid. If you upgrade the votes say in a game Hurley got 3 and Watson 2 and X polled 1, He should get 3 you could wind up with someone else finishing in front of Mitchell and Cotch. In addition in the example above who might have got the 2 and the 1. I think the * is the only solution.

The differences using this method would be

+2 Pavlich
+1 Cassisi, Dangerfield, Brett Ebert, Nicholson, Sloane, Wells

Essendon polled the 3-2-1 in 5 games.

Jonathan Brown on Fox footy getting interviewed; will JW keep his Brownlow? paraphrasing; 'nuh, can't see it, it will be awarded to Sam Mitchell and Trent Cotchin who were next in the votes.'