Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist!

waiting said:
Didn't he do an interview and said he took something, wasn't it banned? , my memory is not great and it was when the booing of him started? Am I correct?

p!ssed it up on On The Couch. Don't worry, Gil will buy him a coffee, hug him like a kid and let him keep his toy.

*smile* on waiting till the AFL has an official board meeting in Feb. If Jabbie has half an ounce of integrity n is a quarter of the person that so many claim he is, then he should simply rock up to headquarters some time this week n hand the bloody thing back.
Due to the tainting of the award n the fact that both Cotch n Mitchell missed out on all the kudos that go with being a medalist, it wouldn't bother me if there was just an asterix placed over that season n no medalist announced retrospectively. Jabbie just needs to hand the thing back, he shouldn't need to be told.

TF did he say anything in that interview? Think he did cause the booing started after that interview.

Yeah Gil will probably let him but the Commission has the final say don't they? They will probably do the same.

TM hope so.

Think he is a better man than his dad so I guess we will see, if cut from the same cloth, whatever that expression means or he will keep it to prove a point to all that he, the players, the club DID NO WRONG.

Everyone wants the saga to be over except the AFL apparently. Why drag out the issue of Watson's Brownlow for yet another month or two? The international body has found him guilty, what more do they need? An OK from Tim? Fair dinkum. As my old foreman would have said, these blokes are on drugs.

The decision should be pretty clear cut shouldn't it? If there's something in the rules then do it. I don't see how they can take it back if it's not covered in the rules.

This is the AFL$ Rosy

Snake I agree with you but my reasoning is that the AFL and the ALFPA want to give the players time to 'grieve'

He is done just relate to other guilty parties who lost medals titles etc. the whole scenario about essendon being found guilty is a form of stealing. The innocents lose out and feel sterile that's why it's soooooo disgusting. They lose for being honest....

Not just Watson, any Essendon player on the program who got votes that season should have them removed from the record books. I think if Watson loses it, as he should, they'll put an asterisk next to it and say no award was given that year.

It's s disgrace Cotchin was robbed if his moment by Essendon. Must be awarded a belated medal preferably presented by Hird with an apology.

What's were the votes in the RFC v EFC matches that year ?

tigersnake said:
Everyone wants the saga to be over except the AFL apparently. Why drag out the issue of Watson's Brownlow for yet another month or two? The international body has found him guilty, what more do they need? An OK from Tim? Fair dinkum. As my old foreman would have said, these blokes are on drugs.

IMO the issue for them is not whether to take it off Watson but whether to award it to Cotch and Mitchell or deem it as no award for that year. And they might want Watson to hand it in of his own accord which Watson would do if he had an ounce of integrity and brains, its clear that if he doesn't history will not regard him as a brownlow winner.

IanG said:
IMO the issue for them is not whether to take it off Watson but whether to award it to Cotch and Mitchell or deem it as no award for that year. And they might want Watson to hand it in of his own accord which Watson would do if he had an ounce of integrity and brains, its clear that if he doesn't history will not regard him as a brownlow winner.

I think the longer they think on it, the more likely they will award it to Cotch and Mitchell. How could they not? Precedence of suspended players getting the most votes, McKernan and Grant, (medals awarded to coincidentally Hird and Voss, and Harvey), fine upstanding drug-free players denied justice. Its not like 2012 was before living memory, and even if it was, votes is votes and suspended is suspended. From their perspective, they could spin that much better than just a gloomy no medal awarded. But then to me that is logical, whether the AFL sees the same logic, who knows.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
R8
3 - Deledio
2 - Stanton
1 - Watson

Cotchin 29 disposals, 6 tackles, 3 goals, 0 votes

R22
3 - Cotchin
2 - Tuck
1 - Deledio

What about Ess v Haw L2?

We could start a grassroots campaign in alliance with Hawthorn supporters: 'Charley for Cotchy 'n Sammy'. It could be hard managing all those dogs, cats and goldfish but.

tigersnake said:
Its true. Sure it is far from ideal, and Mitchell and Cotch would give interviews saying things like 'seems a bit hollow to be honest', etc etc, but they will still have a Brownlow Medal. And as the years pass, the spin put on the drugs saga (poor players etc etc), will fade and it will be simply 'the drugs scandal'. And Cotch and Mitchell will be 'Brownlow Medalists 2012'.

Carl Lewis was awarded an Olympic Gold Medal in an office under the grandstand, far from ideal, but he is still an Olympic Gold medalist.

I really hate that we didn't get to toast Cotchy in 2012 though

Bingo!

I remember an interview where Cotch was asked if he'd accept it if Jobe had to hand it over..
He sure didn't say he wouldn't take it. Not sure exactly what he said but his words were along the lines of 'anyone who gets a Brownlow medal is deserving of it' ie no matter what the circumstances.

maverick said:
It's s disgrace Cotchin was robbed if his moment by Essendon.
Daughter reckons it's a bigger disgrace that she was robbed of twelve large by Jabbie n Essendrugs. Three years n she still gets the death stare happening when Jabbies name gets mentioned.

tigersnake said:

too true

maverick said:
It's s disgrace Cotchin was robbed if his moment by Essendon. Must be awarded a belated medal preferably presented by Hird with an apology.

maybe Turdy can give Cotchy his medal he didn't deserve it anyway :hihi