Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist!

Ian4 said:
I don't think its hollow at all. Jobe is officially a drug cheat. the AFL have no other option but to take it off him.

What's even funnier, is that he leaked it.

TigerForce said:
I also reckon it'll work out like that if Watson is stripped. Seems too belated now for Mitchell and Chimp to enjoy it.

ridiculous comment. the AFL awarded retrospective Brownlow's for players that lost on a countback decades after the event. how is this any different?

Ian4 said:
ridiculous comment. the AFL awarded retrospective Brownlow's for players that lost on a countback decades after the event. how is this any different?

Because it was just the counting system that was wrong, whereas 2012 has more to do with a cheat who now doesn't deserve it.

I'd rather Chimp and Mitchell get the medal, but I'm sure they'd feel a bit hesitant.

Ian4 said:
I don't think its hollow at all. Jobe is officially a drug cheat. the AFL have no other option but to take it off him.

case in point: walker Jared Tallent. he won the silver in London, but there have been rumours about the Russian gold medallist for years... which in the coming months its almost certainly about to be proven true. he wants the gold medal and thinks he deserves it. how is this any different?

Fair point. Be interested to hear what Chimp has to say on the topic...

Ian4 said:

The difference to me is your scenario is due to a change of official rules. Nothing altered the votes. Whole different ball game with Bummer players getting votes in a year that they've now been found guilty of cheating in.

TigerForce said:
Because it was just the counting system that was wrong,

rosy23 said:
The difference to me is your scenario is due to a change of official rules.

not disputing that, but you're both missing my point. it has been suggested that 3 years is too much water under the bridge to award Cotchy the Brownlow now. and I'm giving that notion the ridicule it deserves.

rosy23 said:
Watson should be stripped of his Brownlow. Him getting votes and the medal as a cheat shouldn't stand. I'd opt for no Brownlow for that year. The ball game would change dramatically if Watson and his cheat mates hadn't got votes that year. Interesting to see what happens. I wonder if the AFL will keep their noses out of it or if they'll even make a decision trying to win back some respect.
Rosie has it right on this. WADA has adjudged the whole Essendon football club as having cheated the game in 2012 by usage of illicit PE drugs. Thus, match results and Brownlow votes for all their games have been compromised. We have already suffered due to this corruption that year by having to play Blues rather than a discredited EFC in that elimination final. Have little doubt we would have won that game, just as we had slaughtered them in round 23.
Neither Cotch or Mitchell would even want to accept Charlie in these circumstances. It is now the blackest year in AFL history. A no Brownlow for that year is the only realistic answer. Cotch is too decent a man to ever feel proud of being awarded it in these circumstances. Best forgotten; move on to aiming for success in 2016. [Not comparable to Tallent and a one-off Olympic event either; Charlie votes awarded for 23 compromised Dons games!]

February meeting for this. Forget it, shove it under the carpet and keep sucking the Bummers arse Gil.

Olympic medallists are stripped of their medal for drug cheating.

The NRL stripped the Storm of their premiership(s) for cheating the salary cap.

There's no way Watson can keep the Brownlow.

Well McLaughlin has just announced that it will be reviewed by an AFL Commission group, but I'm tipping Jobe Watson will hand it back anyway. He was a gullible fool, easily deceived by Hirdy the Messiah and believing in the 'program' to obtain rapid success, but for all that, don't think he is completely lacking in character.

This medal should go to the rightful winners full stop. The Premiership Cup was still awarded, the Coleman Medal was awarded every other trophy I don't care about was awarded under a tainted season. Not one award wasn't affected by the EFC, all ladder positions and stats were stuffed around by them cheating. The medals belong to the best and FAIREST players for the season as awarded each game on their own merit. Put their names on it it is the only choice.

leon said:
A no Brownlow for that year is the only realistic answer. Cotch is too decent a man to ever feel proud of being awarded it in these circumstances. Best forgotten; move on to aiming for success in 2016. [Not comparable to Tallent and a one-off Olympic event either; Charlie votes awarded for 23 compromised Dons games!]

are you serious or is that a wind up? no Brownlow that year is not the only realistic answer... although it is the only answer if you're looking to take the easy way out (which is what the AFL like doing tbh).

and it is totally comparable to Tallent. they are virtually identical in fact. the Russian athlete was part of a systemised doping program devised by his coaches. it even happened in the same year.

HR said:
This medal should go to the rightful winners full stop. The Premiership Cup was still awarded, the Coleman Medal was awarded every other trophy I don't care about was awarded under a tainted season. Not one award wasn't affected by the EFC, all ladder positions and stats were stuffed around by them cheating. The medals belong to the best and FAIREST players for the season as awarded each game on their own merit. Put their names on it it is the only choice.

this.

HR said:

Its true. Sure it is far from ideal, and Mitchell and Cotch would give interviews saying things like 'seems a bit hollow to be honest', etc etc, but they will still have a Brownlow Medal. And as the years pass, the spin put on the drugs saga (poor players etc etc), will fade and it will be simply 'the drugs scandal'. And Cotch and Mitchell will be 'Brownlow Medalists 2012'.

Carl Lewis was awarded an Olympic Gold Medal in an office under the grandstand, far from ideal, but he is still an Olympic Gold medalist.

I really hate that we didn't get to toast Cotchy in 2012 though

tigersnake said:
Its true. Sure it is far from ideal, and Mitchell and Cotch would give interviews saying things like 'seems a bit hollow to be honest', etc etc, but they will still have a Brownlow Medal. And as the years pass, the spin put on the drugs saga (poor players etc etc), will fade and it will be simply 'the drugs scandal'. And Cotch and Mitchell will be 'Brownlow Medalists 2012'.

correct. initially they will feel a bit hollow, but that will change after their careers end and they reflect back on it. long after the drugs scandal has passed and been long forgotten, the history books will still they are Brownlow medallists.

you also need to factor in the perks of winning a Brownlow. history of course (he'll be part of RFC folklore forever). the annual invite for life. the money side of things too. none of this can be ignored.

leon said:
Well McLaughlin has just announced that it will be reviewed by an AFL Commission group, but I'm tipping Jobe Watson will hand it back anyway. He was a gullible fool, easily deceived by Hirdy the Messiah and believing in the 'program' to obtain rapid success, but for all that, don't think he is completely lacking in character.

May be handed back to the AFL and no one is rewarded with the Brownlow for that year.

We will know by Feb I guess as per Gils comments today.

He will meet with Jobe I think he said!

It's been 3 years since. Jobe had an unbelievable year 2012. Remember watching him and Essendon play that season as a neutral and his year was wow.

He seems like a decent young man and hope he does the right thing even if he believes he did no wrong to gain an unfair advantage over his peers.

Whether Trent or Mitchell will accept it may taken from them as if Jobe loses his medal and is suspended, as others have been intelligible with a * next to their names , he should be no exception.

Didn't he do an interview and said he took something, wasn't it banned? , my memory is not great and it was when the booing of him started? Am I correct?

Anyway we will know soon enough.

Will they take the decision off Jobes hands and make it easier or will they ask him too???