Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist!

tigersnake said:
Watching footage of Tim Watson pleading the case for Jobe to keep his medal was a bit sad and pathetic. I don't begrudge him for doing it, he's his dad. The blokes asking the questions couldn't look him in the eye. Said if you look at Jobe's testimony to CAS, you'll see he should keep it. Then I looked at the analysis of Jobes testimony in the link jb posted in the main essendon drugs thread, seems like the opposite is actually true.

I don't blame him for having his point of view as Jobe's father but he clearly should not be put in the position where he is supposed to discuss the issue objectively on 7. 7 should not use him in programs like last night and/or he should refuse to do them.

One interesting thing according to what he said on SEN this morning he was angry at the club and Hird yet we saw none of it in public in fact the opposite appeared to be the case.

IanG said:
I don't blame him for having his point of view as Jobe's father but he clearly should not be put in the position where he is supposed to discuss the issue objectively on 7. 7 should not use him in programs like last night and/or he should refuse to do them.

100% agree.

IanG said:

Agree, it was crass, cynical tabloid TV. The would have loved it if he'd shed a few tears.

tigersnake said:
Agree, it was crass, cynical tabloid TV. The would have loved it if he'd shed a few tears.

Saved for Jabba's AFL Commission hearing next month.

The AFL have no choice but to strip Watson of the Brownlow. The rules are very clear and unambiguous. The reason for the delay is damage minimisation. Essendon fans are reeling from the news their 2016 season has gone kaput. Many will turn their backs of football this year and take their wallets (and TV ratings) elsewhere. No question, this will adversely affect AFL and club finances. e.g. Essendon fans won't turn up to away games.

The AFL are cushioning the blow and letting Bomber fans get the bad news in dribs and drabs. I've read posts from many Bomber fans who've said "If they take Jobe's Brownlow, that's it for me. The AFL will lose me forever." Nobody really wants that.

It's not up to Jobe to hand back the medal - the AFL will probably present it that way to make Jobe (and themselves) look good. It's also on the AFL to make a decision whether award retrospective medals to Cotchin and Mitchell or declare 'no winner' for 2012. Doesn't matter whether Cotchin prefers not to receive a tainted, hollow award. Same with Mitchell. It's not up to them.

The AFL will gauge public opinion how to proceed. It could go either way. We mustn't assume they will do the right thing and give Cotchin his medal. Rival fans would prefer to see no winner. Tribalism and petty jealousy. F*** them...

The onus is on Richmond and Hawthorn fans to kick up a stink and let the AFL know if they want us all to "move on" from this drug scandal, then they should give Cotchin and Mitchell their medals, or else we will grumble about it until they do. It might take years and years of campaigning, but eventually they will concede. Just give them their medals and let's all move on.

Who cares if the awards are hollow? It's better than nothing. Cotchin may have been robbed of his night in the spotlight (and all the endorsement coin which would've followed) but at least he'll get to retire with "Brownlow Medalist" alongside his name.

Why would any true Tiger fan want to deny him that accolade?

I agree as I felt for Tim as a father but Ch 7 should never have put him in the spot and commenting on his sons Brownlow!

Should never have fronted yesterday's news in my view.

And on another thing Koch ? Shouldn't have been involved in a program promoted last night on 7 about the Essendon saga. I didn't see it and I don't know what was said and how he spoke. Conflict of interest as 2 of his clubs players have been suspended.

Interesting that Watson got 23 votes by round 14, and wasn't that about the time they stopped the injections etc.

I think it around the time a spate of soft tissues injuries started to occur.

Someone can correct me on this???,

jokershoppe said:
Interesting that Watson got 23 votes by round 14, and wasn't that about the time they stopped the injections etc.

Jobe was a pretty average footballer before he started on that program. Went to another level about the same time. :p ::) :p

Tigers of Old said:
Jobe was a pretty average footballer before he started on that program. Went to another level about the same time. :p ::) :p
ipso facto ...... ergo ..... You've nailed it ToO
C'est la vie Jobey - hand the bastard back!!!
Pronto!!!

Hopefully the Feb meeting is just to follow due process. In my opinion, there should be no discussion. Watson is now a drug cheat so should be stripped of the medal, and it is then awarded to Mitchell and Cotchin. Whether they want to physically receive the medal is irrelevant. At least we all know that in perpuity the trivia answers to : which is the first club to be stripped of premiership points? Who was stripped of his Brownlow for using performance enhancing drugs? will be Essendon and Watson. It is a permanent stain on the club. Is it bad that I've enjoyed typing that?

joegarra said:
Hopefully the Feb meeting is just to follow due process. In my opinion, there should be no discussion. Watson is now a drug cheat so should be stripped of the medal, and it is then awarded to Mitchell and Cotchin. Whether they want to physically receive the medal is irrelevant. At least we all know that in perpuity the trivia answers to : which is the first club to be stripped of premiership points? Who was stripped of his Brownlow for using performance enhancing drugs? will be Essendon and Watson. It is a permanent stain on the club. Is it bad that I've enjoyed typing that?

No worries Joe, I enjoyed reading it.

Watson & the Bombers are copping what they deserve. It is astonishing though, that every time Essendon had a decision to make regarding the investigation, they pulled the wrong rein every single time.

Does anyone know if Lance Armstrong's stripped titles were awarded to the runners up?

Ta Joe. I kinda assumed they would have been and it would be a good precedent.

rosy23 said:
Ta Joe. I kinda assumed they would have been and it would be a good precedent.

It was because there are so many cyclists with question marks over drug use. I read somewhere that in one year they would have had to go down to 10th place. There are other more recent years though when it was awarded to second, and American Floyd Landis won it in the late 2000s, and Contador around the same time ??, who also won it apparently drug free other years, they were stripped and it was given to second place.

The Brownlow cannot be tarnished after this, Watson has to lose it.

It would be a real disaster for the AFL if some previous medal winner came out and said they hand their medal back if action wasn't taken.

Jobe Watson says legal team is reviewing doping decision
Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/01/13/15/29/essendon-captain-jobe-watson-says-team-is-struggling-to-come-to-terms-with-doping-bans#i31W2BZKgau4s5uf.99