Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist!

22nd Man said:
Tallent had no hesitation in saying Watson should lose it. Athletes get drug cheating. They see someone surge past or disappear over the horizon and are immediately impacted... They miss finals, medals, glory, money. Few in the whole Ess saga have focused on the performance enhancing part of the issue. It's as we have forgotten that the whole aim was to obtain an unfair endurance advantage.

It'd be interesting to know what our players think, with big wins against Hawthorn and Sydney either side of getting manhandled by Essendon in 2012 Dreamtime. It was disheartening for me as a supporter to see the team giving 100% and getting swept aside by some mediocre players, so I assume our players support the bans in principle.

I heard a radio commentary last night that it was surprising that cotchin said he would accept the Brownlow. I think we need to look at what he actually said when asked if he would which was "you would have to I think".

Too much can be read into that comment which is really no more than saying if he was told he was the Brownlow medallist he would have to accept the award. The comments were also followed by a lot of praise of Jobe Watson which we can agree with or not but I certainly didn't see his comments as suggesting that the Brownlow should be taken off watson which is what some are assuming in the media.

22nd Man said:
Got a run again today with the walker Tallent receiving his gold after CAS stripped the Russians London win that the Russian federation drew the line at! Pretty much puts AFL administration in same integrity class as Russian athletics.

Tallent had no hesitation in saying Watson should lose it. Athletes get drug cheating. They see someone surge past or disappear over the horizon and are immediately impacted... They miss finals, medals, glory, money. Few in the whole Ess saga have focused on the performance enhancing part of the issue. It's as we have forgotten that the whole aim was to obtain an unfair endurance advantage.
Dave Culbert, the former Australian long jumper, is absolutely filthy on anything to do with drug cheating and has been very vocal against what Essendon did and their justifications. He's said that Watson should be stripped of the medal and new ones should be awarded to Cotchin and Mitchell. They even spoke about how and where they'd present them. Be fitting to do it at a Richmond V Hawthorn match.

Sintiger said:
I heard a radio commentary last night that it was surprising that cotchin said he would accept the Brownlow. I think we need to look at what he actually said when asked if he would which was "you would have to I think".

Of course there's the PC thing to say and then there's the overwhelming opinion from supporters and no doubt players that if you cheat to win an award then you shouldn't win it. Deep inside I believe Cotchy (or any other player in his position) would be very happy to accept the Brownlow in these circumstances.

T-Shirt Tommy said:
No doubt also caused by his father being a major presence in the media. Just one big boys club.

Also the reason why former players now involved in the media don't come out and call these players 'drug cheats' *cough* Cam Mooney *cough.

Wouldn't want to cross paths with a player we've labelled a drug cheat, now do we?

Apart from being proven as drug cheats the Essendon players have also been exposed as liars.

Every Essendon player who did an ASADA drug test in the 2012 season lied to ASADA by failing to disclose that they were receiving injunctions by answering the specific question on the disclosure form that exists exactly for the purpose of investigating these things.

These tested players were obviously told not to disclose the program, and it is not unreasonable to assume that every other player was also part of this conspiracy to mislead ASADA along with others at Essendon. Simply lying to ASADA is reason for suspension and these facts totally destroy the "We were innocent dupes" spin that the Essendon players have been using since day one of this sorry saga.

Sintiger said:

Too much can be read into that comment which is really no more than saying if he was told he was the Brownlow medallist he would have to accept the award. The comments were also followed by a lot of praise of Jobe Watson which we can agree with or not but I certainly didn't see his comments as suggesting that the Brownlow should be taken off watson which is what some are assuming in the media.
You dont have to read into it at all. Jobe doesnt deserve the medal. Trent and sam do. It is not jobes to be apart of the discussions and he should not have to make any decision either to keep or hand back. Trent and sam also should not need to answer the awkward questions regarding it and of course they are going to say politically correct terms to ensure they dont get mixed up in a decision that is not theirs to make. The external athletes tell the truth and the general public who have been disgusted by the saga and the AFLs handling of it know what needs to happen on an ethical and moral level. Give the medals to the Brownlow medalists for 2012.

CarnTheTiges said:
They even spoke about how and where they'd present them. Be fitting to do it at a Richmond V Hawthorn match.

Dave Culbert reads PRE

HR said:
You dont have to read into it at all. Jobe doesnt deserve the medal. Trent and sam do. It is not jobes to be apart of the discussions and he should not have to make any decision either to keep or hand back. Trent and sam also should not need to answer the awkward questions regarding it and of course they are going to say politically correct terms to ensure they dont get mixed up in a decision that is not theirs to make. The external athletes tell the truth and the general public who have been disgusted by the saga and the AFLs handling of it know what needs to happen on an ethical and moral level. Give the medals to the Brownlow medalists for 2012.
This really has little to do with my post. You are giving an opinion on what you think about that Brownlow which is irrelevant to the point I was making.

Cotchin has never given an opinion on whether the Brownlow should be taken from Watson and his recent comments don't change that which was my point. He did nothing except saying that if he was offered it he would have no choice but take it.

Sintiger said:

I heard this as well and thought they hadn't really listened to what was said. I wonder if Cotchin might be starting to get a bit of the 'boys club' treatment because he doesn't really fit the mould of the mugs that dominate sports media. His so-so form, and inability to stamp his name on games makes him ripe for tall poppy syndrome these days. And his non-heart on sleeve, distanced way that he presents himself, might be seen as un-football like in the eyes of these jokers. What you have described as Cotch's reserved and considered reply is the way i heard it too.

I hope Cotch regains his football genuis and fakes them all out. And retrospectively gets awarded the Brownlow. The WADA findings identified that Essendon players where complicit in a culture of hush hush and cover up, and 'The Watson's' would have been in it up to their Private School ears as much as anyone. If they want to present themselves as 'collateral damage victims', then why didn't they speak up and question the program when it really mattered. Yeah yeah yeah, Jobe and Tim are stand up guys, so why did Jobe (and 'good old Dad"), end up turning a blind eye to Jobe being a pin cushion. Real leaders there. Just like the good Doctor whatshisname.

blutiga said:
I heard this as well and thought they hadn't really listened to what was said. I wonder if Cotchin might be starting to get a bit of the 'boys club' treatment because he doesn't really fit the mould of the mugs that dominate sports media. His so-so form, and inability to stamp his name on games makes him ripe for tall poppy syndrome these days. And his non-heart on sleeve, distanced way that he presents himself, might be seen as un-football like in the eyes of these jokers. What you have described as Cotch's reserved and considered reply is the way i heard it too.

Been top 20 in the Brownlow five years running. The others in that boat are Fyfe, Pendlebury and Selwood, but listen to the media (and neutral supporters in general) and it's like one of Cotchin's legs fell off. Terribly lop-sided commentary on the back of a bad final.