Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist!

Baloo said:
To quote The Weapon "covert operations". Say that again !

It isn't right that WADA leaves it to the sporting body to sanction a club in the event of multiple player breaches. AFL should be suspending the jabbers it's obvious the club were up to their nuts in it. Considering the AFL has the most to lose I understand why they've gone the softly softly route. I still feel there's heaps yet to play out. Here's hoping there's no hush clauses on Hamilton, Weapon et al that one day they can tell their stories.

This is truly embarrassing. Jobe should show some character and just hand it in. I think it would do far more for his reputation going forward, rather than holding onto it, which I'm sure the essendon football club would love as yet another act of defiance.

An international governing body found the actions of the playing group nefarious enough to find you guilty of not following the rules. Your club has "no idea" what was injected into you. You omitted facts upon questioning. The club hired a well known dark lord of sports science to run the shambolic scheme. You have never played anywhere near as well as 2012.

Not intentionally setting out to cheat isn't cutting it any more under the weight of what we now know.

He could set himself apart from the idiots at the essendon football club, and the afl boys club by coming out and stating that given what has transpired that he felt that keeping the medal was not appropriate.

tiger76 said:
He could set himself apart from the idiots at the essendon football club, and the afl boys club by coming out and stating that given what has transpired that he felt that keeping the medal was not appropriate.

I don't see how he could do it without saying "I'm not a drug cheat, but...".

I'd have more respect if he forced the AFL to pry it from his hand.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Yep Jab won't hand it over. He thinks he's done nothing wrong. The AFL should tell him he can keep it as a doorstop and cut a real one for our Skipper.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

That's the thing, they won't. if anything they will come out and blather on about how the ruling body doesn't understand team sports and blah blah, shuffle the deck and guess what Jobe keeps his medal.

I can't fathom why he would want to keep it given the circumstances. He is as delusional as the rest of the essendon heirachy if he still believes he should hang onto it. Perhaps there is a little George Costanza methodology at play here with "It's not a lie if you don't believe it to be one".

Jobe won't hand it back on his own accord and will force the AFL to act, which we know they won't.

So Jobe will end up keeping it!

They will come out with some ruling for him to hold onto the Brownlow. The AFL have shown through this sorry saga it doesn't have the fortitude to act with integrity.

The AFL will lose supporters in the face of this ruling .

Wish we could gather a poll or gauge how the players of the other AFLclubs to see how they feel!

waiting said:
Jobe won't hand it back on his own accord and will force the AFL to act, which we know they won't.

So Jobe will end up keeping it!

They will come out with some ruling for him to hold onto the Brownlow. The AFL have shown through this sorry saga it doesn't have the fortitude to act with integrity.

The AFL will lose supporters in the face of this ruling .

Wish we could gather a poll or gauge how the players of the other AFLclubs to see how they feel!

Just start a petition on change.org!

tiger76 said:
This is truly embarrassing. Jobe should show some character and just hand it in. I think it would do far more for his reputation going forward, rather than holding onto it, which I'm sure the essendon football club would love as yet another act of defiance.

An international governing body found the actions of the playing group nefarious enough to find you guilty of not following the rules. Your club has "no idea" what was injected into you. You omitted facts upon questioning. The club hired a well known dark lord of sports science to run the shambolic scheme. You have never played anywhere near as well as 2012.

Not intentionally setting out to cheat isn't cutting it any more under the weight of what we now know.

Excellent summary T76
It would be nice to think there were wise enough heads at Essendon to read this and then act and do the right thing

tiger76 said:

In days of yore when tough hard gentlemen played our great game what you suggest above would have happened quietly and without fanfare.

These days where the Holy Dollar is Lord of our game and the objective is to maintain a "Brand" there are many avenues, byways, highways to travel before a person or group of people or corporation will give up a marketing edge.

Like you I yearn for people with integrity within our game - for their personal integrity when added to all the other personal integrities within the game creates the games integrity. Like innocence is the first loss in times of war, integrity is a major loss in times of sports incorporating.

The returning of Watson's Brownlow Medal creates issues for the brands of Watson and Essendon in that it would be an admission of guilt of taking performance enhancing drugs.

The stripping of Watson's Brownlow Medal by the AFL Commission does exactly the same and the AFL Commission cannot afford this self confirmation of a blight on the AFL Industry.

The Brownlow Medal will stay with Watson - the interest lies in what path/excuse/reason the AFL takes/uses to keep it with Watson.

RemoteTiger said:
Like you I yearn for people with integrity within our game - for their personal integrity when added to all the other personal integrities within the game creates the games integrity. Like innocence is the first loss in times of war, integrity is a major loss in times of sports incorporating.

The game's history is replete with deeds that exceeded the bounds of "gamesmanship". Perhaps that's how we ended up with the administration we have today. But for almost all followers of sport, doping is in a category of its own - the lowest of the low.

It's not even a high level of integrity we're expecting in this case. What must happen is obvious.

The AFL will loose all credibility if Jobe is allowed to keep his Brownlow after being found guilty of doping and banned for two years. It will be another example of protecting its brand over what is right.

Imagine if a Russian athlete who wins a gold medal in Rio and is banned for two years is allowed to keep their medal over a clean Australian athlete because they blame their coach/doctors. There would quite rightly be widespread outrage in this country.

Jobe really should just hand the medal back but if he doesn't and the AFL lets him keep it is I believe an unethical decision.

olympics8.jpg

Screw it. I've made Cotchin and Mitchel their own Brownlow medal.
It's a cookie medal, they can eat it as well if they get hungry.
Can't do that with the AFL's Brownlow.

Posting tomorrow. :thumbsup

se7en said:
olympics8.jpg

Screw it. I've made Cotchin and Mitchel their own Brownlow medal.
It's a cookie medal, they can eat it as well if they get hungry.
Can't do that with the AFL's Brownlow.

Posting tomorrow. :thumbsup

I hope they're WADA approved :eek:

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It's Jobe's medal: former AFL lawyer

(paywalled) http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jeffrey-browne-says-jobe-watson-should-be-allowed-to-keep-his-2012-brownlow-medal/news-story/aabec6e2b2b172d3683b11a60d6217ea

So typical of the mindset that is devouring the AFL's credibility from the inside.

Chris Kaias has just noted on twitter that Jeff Browne is the uncle of 1 of the 34 players, so he is hardly an unbiased observer, as a lawyer he should know better.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
It's Jobe's medal: former AFL lawyer

(paywalled) http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jeffrey-browne-says-jobe-watson-should-be-allowed-to-keep-his-2012-brownlow-medal/news-story/aabec6e2b2b172d3683b11a60d6217ea

So typical of the mindset that is devouring the AFL's credibility from the inside.

The logic is so flawed. By this logic, why not ignore the CAS penalties altogether? Don't suspend any players, JW keeps his Brownlow. It is, as you say, typical and in keeping with the bob-each-way modus operandi of the AFL thus far, as encompassed in McLachlan's interview on 360.