Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hand it over Jobe Watson, Cotchy is the 2012 Brownlow medalist!

scottyturnerscurse said:
There is no doubt they will take it off him. None.

If you listened to Worsfold on Grandstand on Sunday - he was of the same opinion and I reckon he was preparing his members that this will happen at some point.

antman said:
Yep - better the devil you know. Gil's all about the "deal".

Yep I predicted this would be the result when he was appointed. The Commission themselves are at fault for not recognising that the AFL needed something of a fresh start when Demetriou left. As it is now the whole place needs a clean out at the top.

IanG said:
Yep I predicted this would be the result when he was appointed. The Commission themselves are at fault for not recognising that the AFL needed something of a fresh start when Demetriou left. As it is now the whole place needs a clean out at the top.

spot on Ian. The Essendon drugs scandal and a stale, comfy keep it in-house AFL has combined for a perfect storm of wrong.

nqtiger said:
The AFL is a corrupt disgrace of an organization, they will stall this until the public hopefully forgets.

Club supporters from 17 AFL clubs and numerous VFL teams will never forget - the AFL and Essendon have developed a reputation that will stick for a very very long time

Rancey18 said:
Anyone else happen to read an article yesterday in the HS where Robbo and Ralph were debating whether Jobe should keep the medal? Was embarrassing on both parties - Robbo hardly offered a fact, was all Essendon fanboy stuff. Ralph started off strong with facts yet somehow had appeared to cross over to Robbo's side by the end of it. The basis of Robbo's argument was that Jobe is a nice guy and that he doesnt deserve to have the medal taken off him and be branded a drug cheat. Um yes he does Robbo if he has been found guilty of taking illegal substances!

On Saturday Robbo was backing the appeal with all his traditional bomber gusto. Even said to my disbelief that Hirds earlier appeal to the Australian courts were about clearing his name. Does anyone in that newsroom say hey Robbo don't you remember that Hird was trying to get the AFL \ ASADA investigation declared illegal so he could AVOID the tribunal in the first place. I always used to be sceptical when I read of the concept of rewriting history is mentioned. Facts are facts I used to think. But here we have Robbo rewriting it what under a year since it happened.
PS Jon Ralph is lucky to make it through a sentence without back tracking. Would be filing the shipping news in the days papers only employed a couple of footy reporters.

The Brownlow for 2012 is already tainted.

Best just to melt it down, recast it with the word 'CHEAT' on it and hand it back.

1eyedtiger said:
The Brownlow for 2012 is already tainted.

Best just to melt it down, recast it with the word 'CHEAT' on it and hand it back.

Agree 1eyed ,we can add 'bloody good guy'though, just for slobbo

A bit late in this convo but clearly Watson should be stripped of his Brownlow medal. In 2012 he polled 30 votes, 4 ahead of Cotchin and Mitchell. But 26 of his 30 votes were awarded in the first 14 rounds. In March Watson had an injury scare which he pulled through. You can't stay as bonafide but who's to say he may not have pulled through so easily without the illegal injections. WHo's to say he would have been able to perform to such a high level consistently over those 14 rounds without the injections. It's just plain wrong. He's admitted taking these drugs, he's been found guilty, he has gained an advantage by deception, he should not have a B&F 2012 medal in his trophy cupboard whether it for best alone or for best and fairest.

The media remain deathly silent on any scrutiny or analysis of a Watson performance spike. Weak as water.

tigersnake said:
The media remain deathly silent on any scrutiny or analysis of a Watson performance spike. Weak as water.

No doubt also caused by his father being a major presence in the media. Just one big boys club.

Also the reason why former players now involved in the media don't come out and call these players 'drug cheats' *cough* Cam Mooney *cough.

Wouldn't want to cross paths with a player we've labelled a drug cheat, now do we?

Irrespective of all the huff and bluff about this matter and all the postulating and opining, it simply is a no-brainer ... just hand the medal back Watson and move on with your life.

Harry said:
what was the verdict ?

There hasn't been a verdict, Harry.
The AFL in all its wisdom has put the issue and subsequent decision on hold until the appeal by the Essendon 34 is dealt with later in the year.
Guess the AFL is hoping that the players' appeal is successful and, as a result, it won't be forced into making any decision.
If, and most likely, when the appeal fails Watson will have no choice but to hand back the Brownlow Medal ... or otherwise the AFL must officially strip Watson of the award.

Got a run again today with the walker Tallent receiving his gold after CAS stripped the Russians London win that the Russian federation drew the line at! Pretty much puts AFL administration in same integrity class as Russian athletics.

Tallent had no hesitation in saying Watson should lose it. Athletes get drug cheating. They see someone surge past or disappear over the horizon and are immediately impacted... They miss finals, medals, glory, money. Few in the whole Ess saga have focused on the performance enhancing part of the issue. It's as we have forgotten that the whole aim was to obtain an unfair endurance advantage.