GWS Chasing Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Chasing Martin

GoodOne said:
The whole situation sucks, and its just another case of self-indulgent stooges sitting at their AFL headquarters with no real understanding or care about what this is going to do to some struggling Victorian clubs.

Its clear that the AFL want 8 or less teams in Vic. They seem to forget who built the foundaations for the AFL - it was the VFL and its teams and, most impoatnatly, club supporters. They really *smile* me off sometimes. The little man always forgotten.

jb03 said:
Hasn't Martin been targetted due to his Sydney/NSW connection through his old man?

That's one of the points why he is being targeted.

Richmond should counter attack and get Martin's old man to move down to Melbourne with a nice $$ job.

Now forget that he's played 8 games, all i ask is that he be paid relative to where he sits in the tiger pecking order, now that's plain for anyone to see...by my reckoning only Lids, Foley, perhaps Jack and maybe Cotch would be ahead of him, that is all. Front load 60% of a 1.8m contract, maning he could see 900k in his first year...that narrows any advantage of these extaordinary bids...Plain and simple really

GoodOne said:
Interesting how all the stories are about GWS chasing Martin. Why not Scully and Trengove? Why the focus on the Tigers?

I think it's more because he's a Sydney boy, or rather has lived there for the past few years with his Father and played in the local leagues.

He'd be a real poster boy.

People saying you wouldn't pay overs to keep him - are you crazy? He is one of few players on our list that we can't afford to lose (Lids, Cotch, Riewoldt, etc) or we're well and truly *smile*. If that means we have to pay a little over what he's worth and maybe heavily front load his contract then so be it IMO. I certainly wouldn't be matching that 800k offer though, that's ridiculous.

Edit - don't avoid the swear filter

Sheedy wants to chase Martin because he thinks our club is hopeless and is not able to hold onto such a player.
Sheedy is a bitter and twisted old fart who was pissed off that we didnt give him the job after we got rid of Wally.
He doesnt give an **** about anyone but himself and keeps using our club time after time.
Why doesnt he chase Scully hes only on a 2 year contract at the Dees?
Some Richmond man Sheeds has turned out to be.

Baloo said:
I think it's more because he's a Sydney boy, or rather has lived there for the past few years with his Father and played in the local leagues.

He'd be a real poster boy.

has played in Castlemaine for some time whilst living with his mum actually

Firstly, Sheedy has to build a team and is obliged to go after any available player of quality, so please give the whole Traitor thing a rest. Likewise, Martin is a professional footballer and should make a choice based on what is best for his career. On that basis, the Tiges would be MAD not to pay over the odds, when we have so many expendable players. I would rather have Martin and my 4 year old than King and Thompson.

hutstar said:
Firstly, Sheedy has to build a team and is obliged to go after any available player of quality, so please give the whole Traitor thing a rest. Likewise, Martin is a professional footballer and should make a choice based on what is best for his career. On that basis, the Tiges would be MAD not to pay over the odds, when we have so many expendable players. I would rather have Martin and my 4 year old than King and Thompson.

The issue people have with Sheedy is the fact that he is constantly having a dig at the RFC.

WesternTiger said:
The issue people have with Sheedy is the fact that he is constantly having a dig at the RFC.

exactly. If I ever see that prick walking down the street I'll be sure to give him a few choice words.

Cant believe I used to have a soft spot for him. NO MORE.

Sheedy you are scum :mad:

se7en said:
That's one of the points why he is being targeted.

Richmond should counter attack and get Martin's old man to move down to Melbourne with a nice $$ job.

Martin moved from Sydney when Swans were sniffing around as a junior. I see no reason why he would now up and leave. And his father was in Sydney back then.

brigadiertiger said:
Martin moved from Sydney when Swans were sniffing around as a junior. I see no reason why he would now up and leave.

Because he was drafted by Richmond, a Victorian club. He had no choice in the matter.

Barnzy said:
Because he plays for them?

Last time I checked Bendigo was in Victoria. He came back before we had drafted him. Otherwise we would have been recruiting him from some Sydney club.

brigadiertiger said:
Last time I checked Bendigo was in Victoria. He came back before we had drafted him. Otherwise we would have been recruiting him from some Sydney club.

Nevermind, I miss-read what you said.

Still a worry though. He's previously stated football is his life and it's all he has so if he thinks the GWS offer is what's best for him I'm sure he would have no hesitation in going back up there, especially with his family connections.

Barnzy said:
Nevermind, I miss-read what you said.

Still a worry though. He's previously stated football is his life and it's all he has so if he thinks the GWS offer is what's best for him I'm sure he would have no hesitation in going back up there, especially with his family connections.

he was living with his mum in castlemaine prior to being drafted, I take it his folks are divorced..one in ea state

BillyJean17 said:
he was living with his mum in castlemaine prior to being drafted, I take it his folks are divorced..one in ea state

My understanding is he was heading off the rails so to speak so he went to Sydney with his dad for a bit. Whilst there Swans wanted him but he didn't qualify and despite interest from Sydney he came back anyway.