GWS Chasing Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Chasing Martin

Barnzy said:
Going off the rails? In what way.

Off the rails is a bit strong but I suspect it was when he left school and was playing up a bit (like most kids). Was sent up to live with his old man to straighten out and grow up.

WesternTiger said:
Off the rails is a bit strong but I suspect it was when he left school and was playing up a bit (like most kids). Was sent up to live with his old man to straighten out and grow up.

Yes that is a better description.

BillyJean17 said:
he was living with his mum in castlemaine prior to being drafted, I take it his folks are divorced..one in ea state

maybe they just into long distance relationships

Barnzy said:
Nevermind, I miss-read what you said.

Still a worry though. He's previously stated football is his life and it's all he has so if he thinks the GWS offer is what's best for him I'm sure he would have no hesitation in going back up there, especially with his family connections.

I can understand this but aside from the very very big drawcard in the money, Martin would go from playing in front of an average crowd of 40,000 week in week out for richmond, playing in blockbuster games to moving out to GWS and playing in front of potentially 8000 people each week. I remember Judd said 2 years ago (I realise he's on very very good money) but nonetheless he said he would hate to play in front of small crowds for a start up team in a city that does not yet fully appreciate his sport. If GWS want to pay Martin 800K then that's their prerogative, however I think they're already doing their club a massive disservice to offer this kind of cash to a player that has played only 8 games, not to mention if he does sign with them this year and Richmond are made aware, he won't play another senior game for the club. So therefore an 18 year old with 20 games experience could net a 2.5 million dollar contract, it just doesn't add up to me. There is plenty of more uncontracted talent (no disrespect to Martin as we all know he WILL be a gun) running around that warrants this kind of money.

Sheeds is just being sheeds.

Shame though he is dogging the tigers so bad in the media.

I think there is extra bitterness there from not being jumped on when he offered to coach the tigers.

Sheedy can get *smile*. He screwed the tigers for years, using them as his bargaining pawn at Essendon to get himself a better contract. Then when he was passed over for the Richmond job, he suddenly is out to *smile* us over. Bitter, senile old fool, like his mate KB.

zips said:
Sheedy can get *smile*ed. He screwed the tigers for years, using them as his bargaining pawn at Essendon to get himself a better contract. Then when he was passed over for the Richmond job, he suddenly is out to *smile* us over. Bitter, senile old fool, like his mate KB.

Wow! Pretty vitriolic response. It would take a very paranoid mind to consider that Sheedy screwed us to up the ante at Essendon. Frankly, I cannot recall him playing any games at all in contract talks - other than the same ones that 98% of footy people would be doing to maximise their value

Give Dustin, Sheedy's last book "Stand your ground" to read, after reading that he wouldn't want to go anywhere near him.

Nothing to worry about my fellow tigers.

My birdie has travelled a few extra kilometres in their time recently and tells me there's nothing to worry about and Dustin will not be going to Hollywood. (No need to put in one of these wink things to look good).

geoffryprettyboy said:
Nothing to worry about my fellow tigers.

My birdie has travelled a few extra kilometres in their time recently and tells me there's nothing to worry about and Dustin will not be going to Hollywood. (No need to put in one of these wink things to look good).

Sorry GPB, no wink, no credence.

Just in case if anyone missed it there was another article in the Herald Sun about Sheedy chasing young players, including Martin.
Quote from Sheedy's about Richmond:

"Richmond is in the big ball game now and for a long time any player off contract has been fair game," Sheedy said.
"Clubs have been into our 17-year-olds and telling them not to sign with us.
"So Brendon Gale said the Tigers didn't need help and the president is saying they do.
"Chief executive and president saying different things - sounds like Richmond."

Geez, he loves to sink the boot in when possible

Massai said:
GWS aka Sheedy can take a running jump straight into Sydney Harbour.

Revoke Sheedy's life membership I say. Its one thing to be chasing Martin on the quiet but to lambast the club so publically like he's done so unnnecessarily, well he can *smile* right off.

IanG said:
Revoke Sheedy's life membership I say. Its one thing to be chasing Martin on the quiet but to lambast the club so publically like he's done so unnnecessarily, well he can *smile* right off.

Not a bad idea.

IanG said:

I'd vote for that.

IanG said:
Kick him out of our Hall of Fame too

Sheeds is doing what he,s paid to do.Ironic that some on this thread are the same who want us to get Scully.Hyprocritical much.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Sheeds is doing what he,s paid to do.Ironic that some on this thread are the same who want us to get Scully.Hyprocritical much.

I didn't realise Sheedy's contract required him to publicly denigrate the off-field department of another club.