GWS Chasing Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Chasing Martin

Baloo said:
No chance.

If it's anything other than sour grapes then maybe he is trying to manufacture a Victorian based rival for his GWS team.

I did say only 1% of me was thinking like that.

I think the man is a fool who doesn't know when his time in the sun is over. He embarrassed himself by attending the Melbourne interview. He should have said to the Melbourne board my coaching record speaks for itself, if you want me lets talk otherwise seeya. Instead after a 27 year coaching career he sat through a game simulation and failed! What a goose!

Thank God our board was wise enough to avoid appointing this bloke, who at the time was everything Richmond. Why? Because nobody wanted him. He did use our stupid club as leverage in his contract negotiations with the bombers to his advantage. If he cared for our club like he said he would have returned in 1999, certainly no excuse for not returning in 2004. The truth is he was never interested in returning, he was too comfortable at Essendon, using us dumb *smile*s as insurance.

I say *smile* him.

tiger12 said:
Thank God our board was wise enough to avoid appointing this bloke, who at the time was everything Richmond. Why? Because nobody wanted him. He did use our stupid club as leverage in his contract negotiations with the bombers to his advantage. If he cared for our club like he said he would have returned in 1999, certainly no excuse for not returning in 2004. The truth is he was never interested in returning, he was too comfortable at Essendon, using us dumb *smile*s as insurance.
2004 was the perfect time for him to come back. He was out of contract with the Bombers, they were dropping down the ladder and we were changing coach. Serves him right for taking the easy option which ended up giving him a shorter time as a coach than he would have got with us. He's got some nerve expecting to just waltz back in the door once he's been given the ass from Essendon expecting us to just hand over the keys to the joint.

Would love the club to publically announce that his life membership has been revoked and has been removed from our hall of fame.

ZeroGame said:
2004 was the perfect time for him to come back. He was out of contract with the Bombers, they were dropping down the ladder and we were changing coach. Serves him right for taking the easy option which ended up giving him a shorter time as a coach than he would have got with us. He's got some nerve expecting to just waltz back in the door once he's been given the ass from Essendon expecting us to just hand over the keys to the joint.

Would love the club to publically announce that his life membership has been revoked and has been removed from our hall of fame.

bloody well said

Interesting thoughts by Dermie this morning on SEN about Martin and the offer.He didn,t directly come out and say Martin should accept the offer however he said that with Martin,s Body shape by the time he,s 26 he could very well be a "wobbler".ATM there is no problem with Martin,He,s not quick but can get away with whats he,s doing because of his age etc.By the time he,s 26 he could turnout like a Mathew Larkin.His time for the peak of his contract status is between now and 26,the opposite to most others.
Interesting.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Interesting thoughts by Dermie this morning on SEN about Martin and the offer.He didn,t directly come out and say Martin should accept the offer however he said that with Martin,s Body shape by the time he,s 26 he could very well be a "wobbler".ATM there is no problem with Martin,He,s not quick but can get away with whats he,s doing because of his age etc.By the time he,s 26 he could turnout like a Mathew Larkin.His time for the peak of his contract status is between now and 26,the opposite to most others.
Interesting.

Dermie also said Jack would never be a forward like Buddy or Roughy and kick bags! Time will tell.

Interesting.

Heard the end part of Dermie's convo. Geez he talks crap.

Bryce Gibbs just signed reportedly an $800K to $900K deal over 2 years. Please tell me why Martin would command $800K per year over 3 years. It's just simply over the odds.

Interesting.

Martin has explosive speed to get out of packs so he's wrong straight off the bat.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Love your avatar mate. You must have Mr Sheened your cranium.
That is me on the left ;), armour all with a little turtle wax

On Dermutts comments, what a crock of *smile*, two things I noticed talking with Dustin the other night is he is taller and leaner then most would think, where the hell does goldilocks get the idea that DM is not quick ???

CC TIGER said:
That is me on the left ;), armour all with a little turtle wax

On Dermutts comments, what a crock of sh!t, two things I noticed talking with Dustin the other night is he is taller and leaner then most would think, where the hell does goldilocks get the idea that DM is not quick ???

1/100 of a second of the fastest guy at draft camp last year, does Dermot do any research before he opens his mouth?

linuscambridge said:
1/100 of a second of the fastest guy at draft camp last year, does Dermot do any research before he opens his mouth?

Martin also came 2nd in the wobble run test.

Dermie's got no idea

Dusty has maori blood in him, and if anyone hasn't seen how fast and strong those guys get well just watch any all blacks game and you'll see.

The fact is, apart from the money, why would he want to go to the GWS when :
a) you'll leave the melb market and the money to be made outside footy here
b) be coached by a bloke who the game has gone past (lets be honest about sheeds)
c)live in western sydney (otherwise it would take him 3hrs to get to training each day)
d) play for a team that has little chance of success for 5 years

They would only be able to pay him that for a couple of years then the concessions go and how is he then when he's competing with 10 other first rounders all looking for a slice of the salary cap pie and few out of footy revenue opportunities??

Brereton is proof that being a gun footballer doesn't make you an gun commentator, or even and expert on the game.

He does say some intelligent things and make some interesting observations, but that's probably more to do with 'infinite monkey theory' than insight.

Mr Pumblechook said:
He does say some intelligent things and make some interesting observations, but that's probably more to do with 'infinite monkey theory' than insight.

;D Ain't that the truth! Love the way Dermie always pauses in conversation trying to portray someone who thinks deeply and thoughtfully about what he is going to say. But all goes astray when the words come out.

Pretty much stopped paying attention to anything Brereton said about a year after he stopped playing football. Loved him as a player however, he is an appallingly biased commentator (a) in favour of Hawthorn (b) against Richmond - assume it's because he didn't rate us when he played against us & to be fair - it's not as if we have set the world on fire since. I doubt he would research anything much. Dermott would pretty much know everything about everything.

Again, to support these observed performances, we look to see the screening details.

Martin
Elite kicking ratio in Buck's testing - elite kicking
Superior VO2Max & Shuttle - high engine
Agility - average
5m & 20m - elite explosive pace
Leap - ordinary, but he's a midfielder.
Hanspan, good & armlength, very good - supporting his marking overhead.
So, the screening results give us some stats to support our observations of his on-field performances.

Posted by Phantom http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=38499.180

CC TIGER said:
On Dermutts comments, what a crock of sh!t, two things I noticed talking with Dustin the other night is he is taller and leaner then most would think, where the hell does goldilocks get the idea that DM is not quick ???

Brereton is just crystal balling, he must be doing some kind of introductory course in genetic engineering and has come to this conclusion.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Brereton is just crystal balling, he must be doing some kind of introductory course in genetic engineering and has come to this conclusion.

that would assume then that Dermie has the nous to do such a course .... I very much doubt that.