GWS Chasing Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Chasing Martin

The club has moved Martin into March's family home.

Sounds like they are trying to protect him from the clutches of the evil GWS.

Makes you wonder if this is a precaution or that Martin or his manager are already having talks with GWS.

se7en said:
The club has moved Martin into March's family home.

Sounds like they are trying to protect him from the clutches of the evil GWS.

Makes you wonder if this is a precaution or that Martin or his manager are already having talks with GWS.

Well, March's words today in that article in the Age don't exactly fill me with confidence. Telling the GWS to stay away from the bottom teams kids only a year or 2 in the system. He has a point but just seems odd.

Barnzy said:
Well, March's words today in that article in the Age don't exactly fill me with confidence. Telling the GWS to stay away from the bottom teams kids only a year or 2 in the system. He has a point but just seems odd.

I have heard we will be making an announcement on Martin's future in the coming weeks. The source is pretty good but I am not holding my breath. I am confident he will sign with the club.

Tigerbob said:
I have heard we will be making an announcement on Martin's future in the coming weeks. The source is pretty good but I am not holding my breath. I am confident he will sign with the club.

Sounds good Bobby. Hopefully that's the way it will pan out.
If he does sign up again I'm tipping that we're going to have one of the premier midfields of the comp in around 4 or 5 years time

Tigerbob said:
An announcement to be made in a few weeks?
"The RFC wish to advise that Dustan Martin is leaving for GWS at the end of 2011"
PRE goes into meltdown :hihi :hihi :hihi :hihi

Tigerbob said:
I'd imagine he'll sign a 2 year extension with us,it mightn't be easy to keep him after that contract.

I'm losing patience with Sheedy. When he was at Essendon, he would use the Tigers coaching rumour every 3-4 years to bump his contract up. Then he throws his hat into our coaching ring during the Wallace demise debarkle. That wasnt helpful at all. When he was taped on the shoulder and told "Kev, your yesterdays man", he leaves and takes the GWS marketing job and starts to criticise Tigers through the media. I remember an article (cant cite it) in which Sheedy basically said we got ourselves into this mess with 25 years inept administration and recruiting (a true but unhelpful comment from a tiger man) and shouldnt get any help off the AFL (I disagree with him there). Now, he allegedly offers a 9-game player the world to leave us. The best outcome is that we end up paying him way over the odds, the worst that he goes. I am sick of Sheedy and I think I'll tell anyone who will listen in a bar or at the footy, that he is yesterdays man, that his decline is undignified and that his behaviour towards the Tigers indicates a bitter egotistical goose. That'll fix him.

Tigerbob said:

I hope you're right. :nailbiting

they would be doing GWS a great diservice if they didnt chase him.

The media love these sorts of stories.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. One thing players are when they are young is loyal.
It's only after they've been in the system for a few years do they realise what the industry's all about and start thinking of themselves(some, not all).

In Rioli's first year he had 6 clubs offer him similar to what GWS are reportedly throwing at Martin.

Martin won't go.

theScabman said:
The media love these sorts of stories.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. One thing players are when they are young is loyal.
It's only after they've been in the system for a few years do they realise what the industry's all about and start thinking of themselves(some, not all).

In Rioli's first year he had 6 clubs offer him similar to what GWS are reportedly throwing at Martin.

Martin won't go.

Do you recognise the poster known as Spanish Prisoner? We reckon he's one of yours.

theScabman said:

It's different when the shoe is on the other foot. If Richmond were throwing money at Rioli, I wouldn't complain - he is all class.

I'm surprised the most of the media hasn't picked up on the biggest problem with GWS chasing Martin.
The club is basically funded by the AFL. They are not using their own money.
When they throw $2,400,000 at Dusty over 3 years they are essentially using AFL money.
We have every right to argue the AFL should not be funding an over the top raid on our best junior.
It's way past being a level playing field.

2c.

Interesting how all the stories are about GWS chasing Martin. Why not Scully and Trengove? Why the focus on the Tigers? Simple, because the Tigers are an easy target when it comes to media bashing. Frankly, I think its ridiculous that one one hand the AFL gives GWS loads of money to attack with, and then on the other hand tells us that we have to try and protect our own. It's like giving one gang guns and another sticks and telling them to defend themselves. The whole situation sucks, and its just another case of self-indulgent stooges sitting at their AFL headquarters with no real understanding or care about what this is going to do to some struggling Victorian clubs.

As far as I am concerned, the GWS is getting the bulk of best draft picks, they should not be able to target 2nd and 3rd year players at other clubs unless its at realistic market value and on fair terms that struggling clubs can realistically compete with.

GoodOne said:
Interesting how all the stories are about GWS chasing Martin. Why not Scully and Trengove? Why the focus on the Tigers? Simple, because the Tigers are an easy target when it comes to media bashing. Frankly, I think its ridiculous that one one hand the AFL gives GWS loads of money to attack with, and then on the other hand tells us that we have to try and protect our own. It's like giving one gang guns and another sticks and telling them to defend themselves.

Almost GO, but I would say we are an easy target because we are no good. Who wants to stay at a weak club for , say, $300k when you can stay at a young club that may or may not struggle, for $800k?

Thankfully it sounds like Dustin won't sell out but who could blame him?

Solution to the problem

We approach the AFL that will see the Tigers relocate.
For this massive sacrifice we ask for conditions

Conditions:

we get priority draft picks
can raid uncontracted juniors
protection for whoever we sign

Then we rezone Punt Rd as Melbourne Park or even Burnley

tigertim said:
Almost GO, but I would say we are an easy target because we are no good. Who wants to stay at a weak club for , say, $300k when you can stay at a young club that may or may not struggle, for $800k?

Thankfully it sounds like Dustin won't sell out but who could blame him?

Therein lies the problem. $800K for a 2nd year player? No-one bar GWS could afford to do that either financially or moral-wise. Even if we could afford to pay Martin $800K to keep him, what affect on morale, and potential to keep other top players with such a large chunk taken out of the salary cap. I wouldn't blame Martin for selling out if he's that way inclined, but it would be a short-term focus. Based on early shows Martin will most likely be earning that down the track anyway. This AFL-created scandal really irks me. Money hungry scum. Relocation of a current AFL team was the only way to go in my opinion. 18 teams in a single competition is just too much.