GWS Chasing Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Chasing Martin

I think dermie knows his stuff but the way he words it doesn't make him sound smart.
Martin runs and carries the ball well, the older he gets the easier it will get but I do
think he won't improve a heap year after year like other 18 year olds.

A "plodder" hey Dermie.
A bit like the curent captain of Hawthorn. That's the type of player & bodyshape that I se in Dustin.

Spud bought up a good point, in that if we lose Martin, there goes pick three in 2009, let alone the priority picks we already miss out on. Surely if they can help put Geelong then they can consider this a bit longer. The AFL didn't see this coming.

hellenictiger said:
I think dermie knows his stuff but the way he words it doesn't make him sound smart.
Martin runs and carries the ball well, the older he gets the easier it will get but I do
think he won't improve a heap year after year like other 18 year olds.

Another ridiculous comment. Fast twitch muscle fibres don't disappear, young players fatigue faster and lose their speed sooner in the game. As Dustin improves his fitness his speed will improve throughout the game, more upside than anybody else in that draft.

He also came second in the kicking drill, we have seen glimpses of this, but again fatigue and the adjustment to the pace of the game mean he has a massive upside in the impact he can have on the game.

He has a natural ability to get the inside ball and accumulate possesions, the hardest thing to learn. Along with the other 2 higher picks, Scully and Trengove, his upside is as big as anybody in the league.

Speaking to Dusty the other night, the few things he's working on at the moment are:

defensive game
Using handball and teammates linking up to move the ball rather than trying to break through packs himself. He knows he can do it, but says after a game where he's tried to do that a lot, he gets fatigued easily. By using handball to break the pack and then running forward to receive again, the club thinks he can be more damaging and improve his durability without any improvement on his fitness right now. Any additional improvement to his fitness will be a bonus.

The other thing he's working on, is improving on his strength, rather than putting on more weight. The club are happy with him sitting at 88kgs.

Neville Stippard, recruiting manager for GWS, just stated on pre game show that he catagorically denies GWS have ever spoken to or had contact with Martin, or his manager about him playing for GWS. I tend to belive him, he called it a complete media beat up.

Just saw on Channel 10 news Dustin said he was keen to stay at Tigerland and had no thoughts of going anywhere :clap

The_General said:
Speaking to Dusty the other night, the few things he's working on at the moment are:

defensive game
Using handball and teammates linking up to move the ball rather than trying to break through packs himself. He knows he can do it, but says after a game where he's tried to do that a lot, he gets fatigued easily. By using handball to break the pack and then running forward to receive again, the club thinks he can be more damaging and improve his durability without any improvement on his fitness right now. Any additional improvement to his fitness will be a bonus.

The other thing he's working on, is improving on his strength, rather than putting on more weight. The club are happy with him sitting at 88kgs.

Interesting stuff General. Good to see you contributing again. :)