GWS Chasing Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Chasing Martin

Re: Sheedy chasing Martin

Sydney wanted him and he came back to Victoria anyway don't think we have to worry about anything here. Sheedy is a senile old fool.

brigadiertiger said:
Sydney wanted him and he came back to Victoria anyway don't think we have to worry about anything here. Sheedy is a senile old fool.

I don't think Sheedy is a senile old fool, cunning old fox is more like it. Currently the Tigers are sitting down with Martins management
in contract discussions, looking to sign him up beyond 2011, probably a extra 3 years to take him up to end 2014, which would deny
GWS from grabbing him. Bit of a risk in signing him up for such a long period, but given what he has shown everyone in such a short
time, I believe its a risk well worth taking, particularly given the draft selections will have to choose from in the next 2 years, we must
keep our top young players through to end of 2014 at least.

Thread title has a typo, should read: Sheedy chasing Martian

Just reported on Footy Classified that former Richmond player and completely bonkers individual Kevin Sheedy is chasing Martian.

‘Why not?’ pondered Sheedy. ‘I’m always looking for new avenues and recruiting outside the square. Remember when I tried recruiting NFL reject Dwyane Amstrong? People said that was nuts and it was. He had no idea about the game and neither do Martians but I don’t see this as a hindrance to success” cackled Sheedy.

Couldn't you just imagine the last remants of love for Sheedy draining from the RFC if Sheedy scooped up Martin.

:rofl

anyone else noticed that he has been using his sunday article in the herald sun to take cheap shots at Richmond.

He is obviously still bitter about not getting the Richmond coaching job.

super_coach said:
anyone else noticed that he has been using his sunday article in the herald sun to take cheap shots at Richmond.

Sheeds is just trying to get the Martin deal across the line.
Who knows he might be shaking the tree and see what else falls out.

This is not the end of the world. The Tigers will probably have to pay Martin a lot more than he deserves at this stage of his career to keep him, but I don't mind that.

It's not a bad thing if the Tigers get the reputation for paying good money to young kids with a lot of potential, you want the kids to see the club as a good and possibly lucrative place to play.

I thought we were front loading contracts anyway, it shouldn't be a problem
Given another 8+ players will be gone at the end of the year and we still have 14 players from last year on fixed salary contracts determined by the collective bargaining agreement for draftees, there will be plenty to go around.

I would suggest the offer would be a front loaded contract...EG if we were to offer 1.5 over 3 years..800k may be in first year..providing him with opportunity to invest and generate returns early...offsetting the gap in what other parties could offer from day 1...

super_coach said:

agree, that's why I don't read it.

I am worried about this. I must admit I don't really know where we are at ( in regards to getting Martin signed up ) and where GWS are at.

All I know is that to lose Martin to GWS would be a disaster and totally unfair. I understand that the 2 new teams need players and a chance to develop a team, but you can't have the bottom team in the comp providing their best young player to the new team.

We are rebuilding from scratch. I just cant think of a worse situation that by the end of 2011, if some of our young players are starting to bloom and we lose the best one we have. We will never get off the bottom.

The theory is that each team provide one or 2 players to the new teams and therefore it is an even thing accross the comp. But if at this stage we have no players the new teams want, other than our best kids, it makes you wonder why we rebuild at all. You just cant have a club like Richmond rebuild purely on youth, only to develop those players for other clubs. Totally unfair. And I think would just about cripple our club. Just when our club should be in a position to become competitive, it would set us right back again.

Also what worries me, is that Dustin to me looks like the sort of kid who won't just be satisfied to be a AFL player. He looks like a competitive kid who wants sucesss. Because he is just new to the club, he wouldn't of developed a love for the club yet, and could be swayed on the promise of money, and maybe finding success quicker.

Like I said, I don't really know where the whole situation is at, and I'm a bit pressed for time to read everyones comments. Those in the know, where are we at? From what I have heard, we are in negatiations to sign Dustin to a long term deal. How is this progressing? We must sign him ( like we did with Cotchin ) sooner than later. The kid has star written all over him. It is like he is a 100 game player already, and he will probably finish in the top 10, or even top 5 of the B and F this year. He must be signed.

Jack said:
I am worried about this. I must admit I don't really know where we are at ( in regards to getting Martin signed up ) and where GWS are at.

All I know is that to lose Martin to GWS would be a disaster and totally unfair. I understand that the 2 new teams need players and a chance to develop a team, but you can't have the bottom team in the comp providing their best young player to the new team.

We are rebuilding from scratch. I just cant think of a worse situation that by the end of 2011, if some of our young players are starting to bloom and we lose the best one we have. We will never get off the bottom.

The theory is that each team provide one or 2 players to the new teams and therefore it is an even thing accross the comp. But if at this stage we have no players the new teams want, other than our best kids, it makes you wonder why we rebuild at all. You just cant have a club like Richmond rebuild purely on youth, only to develop those players for other clubs. Totally unfair. And I think would just about cripple our club. Just when our club should be in a position to become competitive, it would set us right back again.

Also what worries me, is that Dustin to me looks like the sort of kid who won't just be satisfied to be a AFL player. He looks like a competitive kid who wants sucesss. Because he is just new to the club, he wouldn't of developed a love for the club yet, and could be swayed on the promise of money, and maybe finding success quicker.

Like I said, I don't really know where the whole situation is at, and I'm a bit pressed for time to read everyones comments. Those in the know, where are we at? From what I have heard, we are in negatiations to sign Dustin to a long term deal. How is this progressing? We must sign him ( like we did with Cotchin ) sooner than later. The kid has star written all over him. It is like he is a 100 game player already, and he will probably finish in the top 10, or even top 5 of the B and F this year. He must be signed.

If Dimwittio lets this happen,it reinforces my belief that he is a corrupt tool.

Jack said:

So Martin would go to a club that is more likely to be a success because of a raft of high draft picks? Would that be draft picks like say;
1 (delidio)
2 (Cotch)
3 (Martin)
4(tambo)
8(Vickery)
13(Jack)
19(Rance)
19(Griffiths)
20(polo)
26(Post)

The Tigers have has plenty of high draft picks, obviously it's no guarantee of success, I would be suprised if a player thought he would be moving to one of these clubs and gaining success any faster than he would at the Tigers. The picks GWS get look very similar to ours, does not guarantee them success any more than it does us.

linuscambridge said:
So Martin would go to a club that is more likely to be a success because of a raft of high draft picks? Would that be draft picks like say;
1 (delidio)
2 (Cotch)
3 (Martin)
4(tambo)
8(Vickery)
13(Jack)
19(Rance)
19(Griffiths)
20(polo)
26(Post)

The Tigers have has plenty of high draft picks, obviously it's no guarantee of success, I would be suprised if a player thought he would be moving to one of these clubs and gaining success any faster than he would at the Tigers. The picks GWS get look very similar to ours, does not guarantee them success any more than it does us.

Don't forget all the other high drafts picks we have had too. High draft picks that are either at other clubs, or career finished.

Plus money can speak all languages.

Not saying you are wrong. Just saying it is a lot for a 18yo to consider.