GWS Chasing Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Chasing Martin

French Tiger said:
So after being in the comp for 1 yr they still get to poach uncontracted players ? Why cant the Gold Coast ?

You can read it here: http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=86208

"Team GWS will have access to 16 uncontracted players, from AFL clubs, across a two-year period. If it can’t sign 16 players in 2011, it can continue signing players in 2012"

So they have 2 years to sign one of our uncontracted players,either at the end of 2011,or the end of 2012.

michael roach said:
So they have 2 years to sign one of our uncontracted players,either at the end of 2011,or the end of 2012.

Yep.

se7en said:
Reported on triple M that the Greater Western Sydney is targeting Dustin Martin.
Offering $500,000 a season. Unsure what the contract length is.
Kevin Sheedy very keen to get him to the club.
Can't blame them

If in the unlikely event that Martin was to go, we should get the first pick in the 2011 draft - no exceptions.

This sounds like Cotchin deja vu. Martin won't be going anywhere. Doubt there will be too many of the young players uncontracted over the next few years. We have already seen teams making an effort to sign up their most valuable players. I think this signing of uncontracted players will turn out to be quite unsuccessful as most of the players who they will be able to choose from will be a lower rung of players. The best bet for these new sides is the hording of the national draft players. Sure it will take 5 years but then they are going to be very powerful teams.

se7en said:
You can read it here: http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=86208

"Team GWS will have access to 16 uncontracted players, from AFL clubs, across a two-year period. If it can’t sign 16 players in 2011, it can continue signing players in 2012"

Given most players sign either 2 or 3 year deals, most of the league will be out of contract to either GC or GWS during their window to poach.

We're going to lose someone along the way, as will most teams.

Hopefully its not Martin.

DragicevicFan said:
Given most players sign either 2 or 3 year deals, most of the league will be out of contract to either GC or GWS during their window to poach.

Why? You can extend contracts whenever you want.

Martin, Post and Nason are sharing a house together and all three are required players at Richmond, the bond of living together and playing together should keep all three at Tigerland.

Ripplestick said:
Heard it too... Lyon basically said GWS werent chasing the 24-26 yr olds, they were going to chase the guys who are 18-19 now and will be 22 when GWS come in.

He then went on to say that Martin is the one at the top of their list having the Sydney link to his old man.

If he signed for 3yrs like CC says ( and we all know CC knows his stuff) then its all hopefully a load of hot air.

As if Lyon would know :rofl

Whilst we might not be able to get the AFL to rethink draft selections for 2010/11 given our lowly position and the guaranteed privileges given to GC and GWS. I do think that we should be approaching the AFL re GC and GWS access to our uncontracted players given our position. I believe Leigh Matthews wrote an article along these lines.

strachanie19 said:
Whilst we might not be able to get the AFL to rethink draft selections for 2010/11 given our lowly position and the guaranteed privileges given to GC and GWS. I do think that we should be approaching the AFL re GC and GWS access to our uncontracted players given our position. I believe Leigh Matthews wrote an article along these lines.

I can't see how the AFL can realistically do this, and the AFLPA would not stand for it. The clubs might not get treated equally, but how can the AFL deny an uncontracted Tiger player the opportunity to chase big bucks if other players in the comp can.

This would really be a "Restraint of Trade" case and the AFL knows it.

Streak said:
I can't see how the AFL can realistically do this, and the AFLPA would not stand for it. The clubs might not get treated equally, but how can the AFL deny an uncontracted Tiger player the opportunity to chase big bucks if other players in the comp can.

This would really be a "Restraint of Trade" case and the AFL knows it.
oh well...then just make sure we pay martin whatever the hell he wants!!!!

strachanie19 said:
oh well...then just make sure we pay martin whatever the hell he wants!!!!

Absolutely.

BTW, I wasn't having a go at your idea. I remember being very suprised that someone like Matthews would come up with it.

Yeah, it's gunna be hard to find the spondula to keep Martin given we will have to find it to pay guns like Polak, McGuane, Moore, McMahon, Simmonds, Edwards, Hislop, etc, etc. :spin :spin

GoodOne said:
Why? You can extend contracts whenever you want.

With the opportunity to inflate their prices, I'm sure player managers will be pretty keen to at least test the waters and hold off signing an extension, even if they have no real intention of leaving.