Game Day- Round 1 , 2016 - Richmond V Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day- Round 1 , 2016 - Richmond V Carlton

Ridley said:
Disagree. We laid a lot of tackles but a lot of them were pathetic. So many times Carlton players were able to release the ball when tackled.

It's an area we really need to improve. We are nowhere near strong enough when tackling.

agree. But too early to make the calls of your prev post. It looked to me like your classic bum side playing above themselves and with guts that a decent side has to work hard to put away. You could be right on some of it, (could be on al of it!) Astbury worries me, and the ruck isn't good, thats no secret, we'll see.

It is fun to read the thread after the game....
Always knew that we weren't going to win well, it was blatantly obvious that the Scum were looked after by the umps, and it was a givin that Cotch was gonna play an ordinary game .....

However, we still managed to win a game that could have easily been lost, we still managed to stand up when we really had to, and we got thru it unscathed.....
We are blessed that some of our young kids were virtualy thrown to the wolves, and triumphed!!
Menandue, CEllis, and Lloyd..... Will all benefit from the game....and will become elite.....and now we have a kid that needs no introduction...Rioli!!
He isn't ready proper....but he is now an X factor already.....his tackling tonight was brilliant!!

It's on,y Rnd 1, a round that is traditionally full of upsets, uncertainty, and nervous starts...but we came thru.
The scum won't get any better, they had their best team in, but one (Thomas)... Meanwhile, we performed at about 50%, but still won.....

Key players to come in, young kids getting exposure........and still winning......all is good people

Jetboy said:
It is fun to read the thread after the game....
Always knew that we weren't going to win well, it was blatantly obvious that the Scum were looked after by the umps, and it was a givin that Cotch was gonna play an ordinary game .....

However, we still managed to win a game that could have easily been lost, we still managed to stand up when we really had to, and we got thru it unscathed.....
We are blessed that some of our young kids were virtualy thrown to the wolves, and triumphed!!
Menandue, CEllis, and Lloyd..... Will all benefit from the game....and will become elite.....and now we have a kid that needs no introduction...Rioli!!
He isn't ready proper....but he is now an X factor already.....his tackling tonight was brilliant!!

It's on,y Rnd 1, a round that is traditionally full of upsets, uncertainty, and nervous starts...but we came thru.
The scum won't get any better, they had their best team in, but one (Thomas)... Meanwhile, we performed at about 50%, but still won.....

Key players to come in, young kids getting exposure........and still winning......all is good people

:yourock

Teams defeating reigning wooden spooner in first game: 84
Teams defeating reigning wooden spooner in first game and winning flag: 11
Teams defeating reigning wooden spooner in first game by 9 points and winning flag: 2

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Teams defeating reigning wooden spooner in first game: 84
Teams defeating reigning wooden spooner in first game and winning flag: 11
Teams defeating reigning wooden spooner in first game by 9 points and winning flag: 2

Is that exactly 9 pts or pts &.under?

Frustrating game. We lacked touch and hardness. Hard to win in that case but we dos, that's the main thing. Reckon from half way through the NAB 3 game, we purposely didn't try. Then we abandoned an intra club. I expected we would be soft and lack touch and that is what happened.

On the other hand, we were the younger and less experienced team out there. With Hampson in, we also had the lower average IQ. On that basis we have done ok.

But big improvement required next week or a whack coming our way

Only redeeming feature of the game was that the performance was even. No very good players (except Lambert), no very bad players (except par from Morris and the air Hammer). The antithesis of the normal Richmond game.

When Carlton moved the ball they looked exciting. When we moved the ball we were god awful boring. Very disappointing. Looks like another 3 years of anaconda football. Hope Rioli can somehow resist the richmond way and bloom despite his environment. Love him already.

tbartiger said:
Patrick Cripps will be a superstar. That will be the worst he plays against us for the next decade, and he was very good. Scary thought.

Agree. Give me this kid over hogan every day of the week. A beast, should have won the rising star. The next Fyfe and potentially better!!!

tbartiger said:
Patrick Cripps will be a superstar. That will be the worst he plays against us for the next decade, and he was very good. Scary thought.

Pick 13 too, who'd we pick at 12 again?

Other then a few little cameos here an there, generally thought we were poor in most aspects of the game .....biggest thing for me is the inability for a key forward other then Jack to take a pack mark.....cmon big Reecy there's a spot for you there champ.

Possitive though was Fringies like Astbury, Lloyd, Lambert did roles

I get your point CC, but how long can we call them fringies when they literally win us the game. Our stars (ex Dusty and Rance) sure weren't doing it. Lucky we had those guys.

Blues seemed to have a lot of space last night and that's what worried me the most.

tbartiger said:
I get your point CC, but how long can we call them fringies when they literally win us the game. Our stars (ex Dusty and Rance) sure weren't doing it. Lucky we had those guys.
good sign if they can keep winning us games tbar, the bottom 12 must all improve for us to improve

It's almost impossible to tell anything from the opening game, when 16 other teams still have to play. Carlton had nothing to lose and that's how they played. We on the other hand had a hell of a lot to lose and were very tight due to it. Across the board many of our players lack self belief, and that shows. Carlton, Essendon and Brisbane (my bottom 3) will cause upsets this year, purely and simply because they go into nearly every game with that nothing to lose, throw everything at the opposition attitude and mindset. We came good when and where it counted, but still have massive amounts of improvement. It does worry me that we look to be off to an ordinary start to the season again, though.
Good things to come out of last night: Menadue (best on for mine), looks to be a real player and even has a little bit of x-factor about him. Rioli is developing very quickly, much quicker than many of us thought. Lambert has taken his game up a level as he needed to. Townsend looked good (another Miles maybe, in that the fish GWS reject come good for us?). The best game I've seen Sam Lloyd play, not so much in that he kicked a couple of goals late, but more that he didn't just lurk about in the front half of the ground waiting for something to happen, but worked around the ground and went and got his own ball, tried to bring others into the game. Rance picked up where he left off last year. Vlastuin was quite good, too. Astbury played okay and didn't get injured, hope for him as a key defender yet.
Bad things: Cotchin was putrid. Brandon Ellis continued to go backward. The fumbling when the ball was on the deck. The lack of a distinguishable system for how we moved the ball at times. Hampson is a tap ruck man only, we'd be better off playing Griff and Ty tandem in the ruck. Morris is VFL standard only and should not play another game for the seniors unless we're in danger of not being able to field a team and even then I think I'd prefer to go in a man short.