Game Day- Round 1 , 2016 - Richmond V Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day- Round 1 , 2016 - Richmond V Carlton

TIGEREXTRA said:
We always look so slow and unfit in round one through to round 7.

It's true. WTF is with that?

Such a relief to get away with the win. We didnt deserve it.

Even Essendon looked better than us against the Blues. Eseendon! Their best player is Matt Dea!

At this stage Carlton will be the sixth-oldest team of the round (behind North, Freo, Essendon, Hawthorn and Geelong); Richmond the fifth-youngest.

For a club that's supposed to be in a rebuild, last night was downright fraudulent.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
At this stage Carlton will be the sixth-oldest team of the round (behind North, Freo, Essendon, Hawthorn and Geelong); Richmond the fifth-youngest.

For a club that's supposed to be in a rebuild, last night was downright fraudulent.
And if you look at their best players, most of them were not new names.

Go Toigs! said:
This is awful. Why TF is Morris out there?

Indeed. Look at his stats for the night. Two kicks, 2 handballs and scored the lowest Supercoach points of, wait for it, 18. That's right, 18!!!

Must not play again.

they played thier best game of the year and we played the worst and we still won!!
thats a fact
game over

now for the druggies

LeeToRainesToRoach said:

I think we (the public) have been tricked into thinking this. You pointed out pre game their average was older than us and post game Rance made a point of saying how Carlton had recruited some experience in Wright and Kerridge. All the focus on Wietering but forgetting Rioli.

R_for_Richmond said:
Houli Houli Houli - if ever a softer player there was.........

A bit rough on Houli Dooli R for R.

By the end of the night he was our 4th. best player behind only Lambert, Riewoldt and Rance. Scored 78 Supercoach points. Had 15 kicks and 9 handballs.

He is not our worst player by a long shot. In fact he is one of our better players.

graystar1 said:
Indeed. Look at his stats for the night. Two kicks, 2 handballs and scored the lowest Supercoach points of, wait for it, 18. That's right, 18!!!

Must not play again.
hehe.

One game McGuane scored -7!

I think we had 6 players under 22 games eg 1 season (Lambert, Lloyd Townsend, Rioli, Menadue, Ellis)

They had Weitering, Graham, Phillips, Boehorst.

tigertim said:
I think we had 6 players under 22 games eg 1 season (Lambert, Lloyd Townsend, Rioli, Menadue, Ellis)

They had Weitering, Graham, Phillips, Boehorst.

Only Brisbane and Melbourne are going in with fewer total games this week than Richmond.

CarnTheTiges said:
And if you look at their best players, most of them were not new names.

Really? Docherty 29 disposals (22yo), Cripps 27 disp (21yo), Kerridge 24 disp (22yo), Graham 23disp (21yo), even 18yo first gamer Weitering had 17 disposals 7 marks. Reckon the Carlton heirarchy would have been pretty buoyed by the performance of their younger brigade.

nswtiger said:
they played thier best game of the year and we played the worst and we still won!!
thats a fact
game over

now for the druggies

hmm, I'd say the fact is we both played our best and worst game of the season so far.

tigerlove said:
Really? Docherty 29 disposals (22yo), Cripps 27 disp (21yo), Kerridge 24 disp (22yo), Graham 23disp (21yo), even 18yo first gamer Weitering had 17 disposals 7 marks. Reckon the Carlton heirarchy would have been pretty buoyed by the performance of their younger brigade.

Graham was a surprise. Been touted for a while, but every time I've seen him he's been awful. Cripps is a star, Docherty a solid player, Weitering will obviously be good. Not sure Kerridge will be able to keep that standard up, though.

Wallace could've been successful if our drafting/development was up to scratch. Lot of eggs in Silvagni's basket.

We were arrogant at the selection table, plain and simple. Brought in a few high risk high reward inexperienced types, gave a kid a chance to taste the pace of afl footy, and assumed that Carlton would be so poor that we could carry a couple of underdone players still restricted by injury.

The experience gap left by Chaplin and Batchelor - a third of last year's impressive back 6 - was plugged with Morris. Can only assume Hunt is injured too, or that the selection panel is ok with non-contributors.

And it didn't help that a bunch of blokes had very poor games. If Cotchin and BEllis want to run around with stupid haircuts, they need to damn well earn them.

I could almost accept Hampson as a tap ruckman who gives us first use and little else. But he kinda wasn't doing that. And missing badly from 25 out directly in front at an important stage of the game? He didn't have enough credit left in the forgiveness bank to be stinking it up like that.

So yeah, we went into the game with complete disrespect for the opposition and it very nearly blew up in our faces.

When we decide we want to be serious about winning games of football, we'll probably be ok.

Let's not forget that Carlton's midfield had 3 former no. 1 draft picks. Add Cripps and its not hard to see why they did so well last night in the middle of the ground. Young Cripps is going to be a superstar. Lennon?

BiddiscombeSkills said:
The experience gap left by Chaplin and Batchelor - a third of last year's impressive back 6 - was plugged with Morris. Can only assume Hunt is injured too, or that the selection panel is ok with non-contributors.

Chaplin, Batchelor and Hunt? No loss. Should only be depth players this year and hopefully off our list next year.

nswtiger said:
thats a fact
game over

now for the druggies

How's that for a fact?
Plenty more games for the season

BiddiscombeSkills said:
We were arrogant at the selection table, plain and simple. Brought in a few high risk high reward inexperienced types, gave a kid a chance to taste the pace of afl footy, and assumed that Carlton would be so poor that we could carry a couple of underdone players still restricted by injury.

So yeah, we went into the game with complete disrespect for the opposition and it very nearly blew up in our faces.

When we decide we want to be serious about winning games of football, we'll probably be ok.
I think we are serious. I'm sure the club thinks we've gone as far as we can with Chaplin, Batchelor etc. we'd picked some hard bodies to surround the kids, but I think we're trying to get some more pace and run into the side. We want to kick a few more, and playing slow, stop start footy ain't gonna cut it.
That's not arrogance, that's courage. The club could have gone safely safely. I'm glad they didn't. We played like a team lacking unity and feeling the pressure. That will pass.