Game Day- Round 1 , 2016 - Richmond V Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day- Round 1 , 2016 - Richmond V Carlton

BiddiscombeSkills said:
We were arrogant at the selection table, plain and simple.
Arrogant? Or ignorant? Or hopeful? Or stupid? When you select both Morris and Hampson it's hard to tell.

SkillzThatKillz said:
The umpires were just as rusty as some of the players out there last night.
Yeah they gifted the blues 2 or 3 goals. Not sold on the harshness of the deliberate out of bounds rule. I think Crimes took the ball out and was pinged. Then there was the Kreuzer one and another from the tiges in the same fashion.

The_General said:
I think we are serious. I'm sure the club thinks we've gone as far as we can with Chaplin, Batchelor etc. we'd picked some hard bodies to surround the kids, but I think we're trying to get some more pace and run into the side. We want to kick a few more, and playing slow, stop start footy ain't gonna cut it.
That's not arrogance, that's courage. The club could have gone safely safely. I'm glad they didn't. We played like a team lacking unity and feeling the pressure. That will pass.

Think it was a combination of things - not wanting to risk players who were 50-50, also knowing we need to develop players to strengthen the 22 or our window will close quickly and we'll be where Carlton was two years ago. Maybe he underestimated the opposition as well, but it's what new coaches do - re-invigorate the older players and bring renewed energy to everyone at the club. Their demographic's very similar to ours in 2005 when Wallace had us sitting in the top four at 7-2 after coming off a wooden spoon, but of course it was all downhill from there.

Sydney is going in against Collingwood with its youngest team since 2006. They'll cop a hit, but they're not going to push to the cliff edge.

North on the other hand is fielding the third-oldest Round 1 team in history tomorrow. They'll have to set all sorts of records to make it work for a full season. Reckon Scott might struggle to see the year out.

SkillzThatKillz said:
The umpires were just as rusty as some of the players out there last night.

One of the worst I thought was Astbury taking that mark in the defensive 50, getting it punched out of his hand late, ump called play on, they picked it up and scored a goal.

Carlton are going to give out a few surprises this year. They won't make finals but they will scare a few who do. Last night was the first of those games, they came up against a somewhat vulnerable Tiger team that was playing a few kids and a few not-good-enuffs and they had nothing to lose. So they opened their shoulders and teed off, just missing the green and ending up in the rough. They will nail a few shots during the season.

Happy to get out of this one with no real damage done.

tigerlove said:
One of the worst I thought was Astbury taking that mark in the defensive 50, getting it punched out of his hand late, ump called play on, they picked it up and scored a goal.

It was either a mark or a free for too high - he punched him in the head

TOT70 said:
Carlton are going to give out a few surprises this year. They won't make finals but they will scare a few who do. Last night was the first of those games, they came up against a somewhat vulnerable Tiger team that was playing a few kids and a few not-good-enuffs and they had nothing to lose. So they opened their shoulders and teed off, just missing the green and ending up in the rough. They will nail a few shots during the season.

Agree TOT they were better than I thought they would be. And, their best players - Murphy/Simpson/Kreuzer/Gibbs/Cripps/Dockerty/Jamison - all had very good games as did a couple of new players. They will not finish 17th, their midfield is too strong and backline serviceable. the obvious issue will be kicking goals but they will take some scalps.

At of our best, only Martin/Edwards/Rance had consistently good games. So much more to expect from so many others. Plenty of upside.

dusty delivers said:
Agree TOT they were better than I thought they would be. And, their best players - Murphy/Simpson/Kreuzer/Gibbs/Cripps/Dockerty/Jamison - all had very good games as did a couple of new players. They will not finish 17th, their midfield is too strong and backline serviceable. the obvious issue will be kicking goals but they will take some scalps.

At of our best, only Martin/Edwards/Rance had consistently good games. So much more to expect from so many others. Plenty of upside.
The Tiges were frustratingly woeful last night. Play that badly against opposition aiming to achieve anything this season and we'll get pumped by 10 goals.

That said, Carlton are perhaps a bit better than tipsters have thought. That list of their elite end players is actually a very solid spine. Probably drops off quickly after that. But not quite the bunnies they're being made out to be. The likes of Brisbane and perhaps Essendon will be far worse than them this season.

Does it say something about Malthouse's coaching ability during his tenure at Carlton?

TOT70 said:

Not sure about that. Some of the youngsters played well but they relied far too much on too few in the middle. They tired in the last and were running up and down on the one spot. They don't have a forward line, don't really have a true ruckman, and their backline is old. Looks like they'll be better than last year but last year they were woeful in some games I watched. Not saying much to be better than that.

Tigers of Old said:
Kade Simpson must lick his lips when he plays against us. Has been chopping us up on the spread for years.
everyone who plays loose man in defence does. ;)

McGovern, Hansen, Shaw, Simpson, Hodge etc - they all pencil Tigers games in as their season favourite. Beavis has never known how to deal with it.

The Hawthorn game last year was the first time in Hardwick's career he wised up and manned up any loose man in our forward. And of course we won.

Unfortunately after that game we reverted back to our old system and Hansen cut us up in the EF as expected.

evo said:
everyone who plays loose man in defence does. ;)

McGovern, Hansen, Shaw, Simpson, Hodge etc - they all pencil Tigers games in as their season favourite. Beavis has never known how to deal with it.

Didn't we beat all those teams last year :) Ok I'll give you West Coast but McGovern only had 15 disposals last year and 4 frees against.

tigerlove said:
Didn't we beat all those teams last year :) Ok I'll give you West Coast but McGovern only had 15 disposals last year and 4 frees against.
all what teams? Every team has a HB creator, I just named a handfull.

Houli would love to play against us

evo said:
all what teams? Every team has a HB creator, I just named a handfull.

Houli would love to play against us

My point is you don't necessarily have to deal with the loose man in defence if your tactics win you the game anyway. And we beat all those teams bar one. I actually hate it when we play a loose defender. I prefer a more attacking mindset.

Good to escape with the win after playing so poorly. I think we need to use our first pick for the next three years or so on genuine midfielders if we are going to be competitive moving forward. We need more midfielders either trade in A graders or use them on midfielders. You can never have enough players like Cripps in your team. He is going to cause us some major problems over the next decade. Graham and Kerridge are astute picks of genuine midfielders as well.

I reckon when we look back at seasons end we,ll see that Carltons best form will have been early and by the latter rounds will be copping hidings.