Game Day- Round 1 , 2016 - Richmond V Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day- Round 1 , 2016 - Richmond V Carlton

BluesBloke said:
Proud to be a Blues man tonight and equally as excited at having Brendon Bolton on board as coach.

Just wait. one week against us means nothing.
A couple flogging a will bring you back to earth.
Casboult delist
Everitt crap
Kerrige rubbish
Cripps trade to Richmond

year of the tiger said:
They (blues) looked much better than last year - but strangely reckon your team had more to play for tonight and it showed on the ground.
They looked to be playing with a lot more freedom and confidence. Used run and carry to their advantage and spread well. A total opposite to most of Malthouse's tenure as coach (the exception being 2013...).

keepa lids onit said:
Another example of where the players may not think our game plan and game coaching is up to std. We were out coached tonight by a man who has been there 6 months. Ours 6 years. I have no idea what our game plan was. Did we have one???
They spread and had loose players plenty of times when they had the ball. Us very rarely got easy outs from the back.
I don't have a lot of faith in dimma game day and tonight against most prob the second worst team in the afl we lost out on the coaching side. It's not only my opinion it's the players opinion and I as a supporter can clearly see it and agree with it.
Wtf is dimma and co doing???
Anyway the board reckons he's good for another 2 year extension. WTF.....?????.....

Now you got me thinking back to last season, or was it the one before that when we were crap for the early pasrt of the season and then jack admitted that Dimma changed the game plan from the previous season.

We all know that Dimma said we have a new game plan or have tinkered with the game plan over the summer to be more defensive.

The players looked familiarly lost out there and definitely slow and tired. I hope its not because of this...

Baloo said:
Drawing up me PRE Match Day thread bingo cards now.

So far I've got:
Dud
Dimma should be sacked
Learned Nothing
Bloody Morris
Season is Over
We should have picked Heppel
Lost it at the selection table
Lost it because we're too defensive
Lost it because we can't kick straight
It's only Carlton

Should be a quick game of Bingo

:rofl

:fing32

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Bit nervous about this one now, having seen the teams.

Carlton av age 25.56
Richmond av age 24.40

Given 25.56 was also the average age of Carlton's team in 54 matches under Malthouse, this is nobody's idea of a rebuild. They've picked a team to win. Bolton's pulling a Wallace 2005.

In the last five years, teams under 24.5 giving away 1+ years' experience per player to the opposition have won only 19% of their matches. I still think we can win this one, but we'll be flat out doing it.

For the pessimistic among you, I'd suggest the $4.75 about Carlton is not a bad bet at all.

Yet 97% of all scientists isn't good enough odds for ya!

Just got back from the game. The relief at the ground was clearly audible particularly when Lloyd kicked those 2 back to back goals.

Hadn't realised how inexperienced our team was today so content to get the win.

I personally don't see what Hampson provides and felt that Griff was actually better in the ruck than he was, would prefer to go in with 1 less tall next week (if Maric is not right) and go with Griff / Vickery in the ruck.

The main area I was disappointed in today (other than our best midfielders who were smashed by Carltons midfield) was defensively. We looked a shadow of what we looked like last year. I thought we looked really disorganised down back which was really disappointing when our gameplan is based around strong defense. Maybe we really missed Chaplin and his organisation down back.

Loved that some of our 2nd string players stood up when our leaders went missing. First half Cotchin seemed to be tagged out of the game by Curnow but 2nd half he was just useless. Curnow wasn't on him and he still couldn't get into the game, very disappointing. Clearly Lambert was BOG for us tonight but I was really pleased with Menadue, he does a lot of things really well. He's hard at the ball, really good on the ground and is a good kick. Townsend was also good, probably not as hard at it as I was expecting but his disposal was actually really good, really lowered the eyes and picked out his targets.

Morris - very disappointing, he's constantly was caught out positionally, offers nothing going forward and frankly should probably never play another game of AFL EVER.

Vickery was same as, a pretty good kick but does some dumb things.

Umpires - The less said the better, some of their decisions tonight were downright laughable and despite the fact that we didn't play well, directly resulted in Carlton being at least 4 goals closer to us than they should have been. In the back on Murphy was a joke, too many others to mention but particularly in the 1st and final quarters some of their decisions were outrageous.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Bit to like about the win, ran the game out stronger against a more seasoned opponent. Old-style R1 game, plenty of rust about. Dimma will be rapt. Three things:
- generally a good tackling game by our boys
- Carlton are sh!t
- where was the bloody Nando's van? I know there's a bit of terror about, but that's a hell of a price to pay.
Yeah a notable absence was the Nando's van. Was looking forward to a $46.00 burger and chips meal. Damn!

:rotfl

Always a crack up getting home and reading these match day theads. Glad you guys arn't at the game venting your spleens!

:rotfl

Great night out!

4 points!

the reinforcements showed signs!

Next!

Geez the players looked tired tonight. I reckon the new rules plus reduced IC had some effect.
Some were flat out on their feet.

I am so relieved we took the points.
Build from here..

One other thing. I was at the game and whilst I am not one to usually complain about the umpiring I found many of the decisions tonight totally bewildering and costly.

shad said:
I don't think carlton are quite as bad as we thought. They have a gun mid field when they are all fit. On top of that a lot went their way tonight. Pretty happy to escape with the four points in the end.

They played with heart and enthusiasm. Got some toe. Murphy is a gun!

Tigers of Old said:
One other thing. I was at the game and whilst I am not one to usually complain about the umpiring I found many of the decisions tonight totally bewildering and costly.

Yeh how was that dive by murphy in the first q when he got tackled perfectly and as soon as he felt the tackle his knees went to jelly. He got a nice free and goal from that.

And that clear mark to Astbury not paid and the blues scored a free goal for that.

They are definately being coached and trained to keep their arms free in the tackle. I was thinking it and Rance mentioned it. Bit of a loophole I reckon, dunno what can be done though, they held on to for a long time all night.

Patrick Cripps will be a superstar. That will be the worst he plays against us for the next decade, and he was very good. Scary thought.

Tigers of Old said:

True. I reckon poor umpiring decisions directly contributed to at least 4 goals for Carlton tonight. Got the game close I suppose. The AFL will be very happy with their umps!!

Well that was putrid. Seriously putrid. Playing the wooden spooner at the start of a rebuild and we got out of jail.

Very worried about our midfield. It was absolutely pantsed. Cripps, Murphy, Gibbs and Simpson had it on a string. We got away with it because Carlton is so sh!t everywhere else.

Our key backs outside of Rance is still a concern. Astbury is not up to it. Too slow and can't kick; woeful disposal.

The ruck is a disaster area. Hampson bloody hell.

Not that excited about what's to come in either. Yeah Lids is sorely missed; maybe Yarran if he ever gets fit. Maric? The only thing that excites me about him now is that it means that Hampson won't play. Grigg meh. Conca double meh.

Anyway a win is a win I guess. Move on and hope that is our worst game for the year and that we improve 1000% to be competitive next week.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
- generally a good tackling game by our boys

Disagree. We laid a lot of tackles but a lot of them were pathetic. So many times Carlton players were able to release the ball when tackled.

It's an area we really need to improve. We are nowhere near strong enough when tackling.