Game Day- Round 1 , 2016 - Richmond V Carlton | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day- Round 1 , 2016 - Richmond V Carlton

One positive is that we were efficient once I50. Might have actually had something to do with playing forwards in the forward line.

Beaten on virtually every other stat.

Bill James said:
We were a lot younger than them.

Carlton team was very old. 25 yrs 7 months compared to our 24 yrs 5mths. We had 10 players less than 50 games played, they had 9.

toby64 said:
Predicting a scrappy game, with Tigers never quite able to shake the Blues off.

Tigers by 15

Only a goal out.

So predictable the Tigers.

Going to be a long year

We're gonna get judged harshly in the media, and on here of course but I reckon we just wanted the four points. We need 16 wins to get where we wanna be and that's just one of them. The two clubs know exactly where they are and I would say both have very different training loads and season plans. Carlton won't finish within ten places of us on the ladder. I thought we looked sluggish but felt we had the job at hand. Dunno why just never felt seriously under threat. I had a cup of tea in the third quarter.

Anyway, reckon we are on a pathway that will allow us to be strong through June and July where building wins is super tough. Carlton won't win too many winter games. And don't reckon it's part of their plan either. It's round one people, the four points and no injuries is all we need at this stage.

Go Tigers

The best thing that came out of tonight was that it was lambert and Lloyd who stood up for us in the last quarter when the game was there to be won. A good sign that our second tier players are stepping up.

Would be disappointed if that's the case tbartiger. Hawthorn went out Round 1 last year and beat Geelong by 62 points. Then in Round 3 they smashed Western Bulldogs by 70 points. Neither team were sloggers. Percentage difference can make the difference between top 2 and top 4, 4th and 5th. Attitude has to be to be ruthless and until we do we're going to struggle to go to the next level. Our window of opportunity is now.

To get smashed like that in the clearances and contested ball was depressing. Its what loses us big games. The way we lost the centre clearances so easily was just rubbish. We need those players to come back next week or we will get pumped by the crims.

Tails said:
To get smashed like that in the clearances and contested ball was depressing. Its what loses us big games. The way we lost the centre clearances so easily was just rubbish. We need those players to come back next week or we will get pumped by the crims.

We won clearances and contested ball. I felt it was more the spread where we were killed. They had 247 uncontested possessions to our 196.

Absolutely on the spread is where they got us. We shut theirs down in the last and got our game going. We were better at hardball all night. Movement was our problem.

Good win. We didn't play that well, they went hard, played their granny. Happy to get the win

Proud to be a Blues man tonight and equally as excited at having Brendon Bolton on board as coach.

BluesBloke said:
Proud to be a Blues man tonight and equally as excited at having Brendon Bolton on board as coach.

So you should be. They were all but written off. Straight kicking and you'd have had us by 3 or 4.

BluesBloke said:

They (blues) looked much better than last year - but strangely reckon your team had more to play for tonight and it showed on the ground.

Go Toigs! said:
I just heard Rance saying that Carlton "had been coached well". Interesting.
Another example of where the players may not think our game plan and game coaching is up to std. We were out coached tonight by a man who has been there 6 months. Ours 6 years. I have no idea what our game plan was. Did we have one???
They spread and had loose players plenty of times when they had the ball. Us very rarely got easy outs from the back.
I don't have a lot of faith in dimma game day and tonight against most prob the second worst team in the afl we lost out on the coaching side. It's not only my opinion it's the players opinion and I as a supporter can clearly see it and agree with it.
Wtf is dimma and co doing???
Anyway the board reckons he's good for another 2 year extension. WTF.....?????.....

Why did Hardeick leave Martin out of the centre for most of the 3rd quarter? As soon as he went back in there the game swung back our way.

We always look so slow and unfit in round one through to round 7.

Carlton killed us on the spread and out run us all night. We looked dead on our feet and we should be very embarrassed with that effort or lack of.

Those who think Carlton are a good side, who do you think other than essendumb they'll ascend above the ladder?

keepa lids onit said:
Another example of where the players may not think our game plan and game coaching is up to std. We were out coached tonight by a man who has been there 6 months. Ours 6 years. I have no idea what our game plan was. Did we have one???
They spread and had loose players plenty of times when they had the ball. Us very rarely got easy outs from the back.
I don't have a lot of faith in dimma game day and tonight against most prob the second worst team in the afl we lost out on the coaching side. It's not only my opinion it's the players opinion and I as a supporter can clearly see it and agree with it.
Wtf is dimma and co doing???
Anyway the board reckons he's good for another 2 year extension. WTF.....?????.....

Unfortunately I agree

Lacklustre win, we won because of a few individual efforts and talent (Lambert, Jack, Lloyd) rising above the mediocre game plan and overall negative coaching. Cotchin looks destroyed as a footballer, only Morris met expectations (ie none). Overall Carlton had some wonderful umpiring on their side tonight, but were slightly shaded in the end. Going to be tough next week and over the season if tonight is to become the norm.