Dylan Grimes JDM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dylan Grimes JDM

Outstanding reliable player that controlled the backline and a great clubman
Thank you Dylan for all the great memories :cupgold:cupgold:cupgoldwish you all the best in your retirement

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Champion player. Could play tall or small. Had em all covered.

Awesome career.

Reactions: 9 users
Despite being a key cog to the best and most cohesive backline we will ever see (Grimes, Rance, Astbury, Vlastuin, Broad, Houli) he was the most under-rated.

Reactions: 9 users
Brilliant 1 on 1 defender. Was always good, but when Rance went down in Round 1 2019 with that ACL, my oh my he stepped up and levelled up again. Went from being an under rated part of a very good backline, to being the main man of that backline. Absolute gun who has been a pleasure to watch. Always seemed like he was a really good guy too.

• Love
Reactions: 22 users
What an incredible example of persistence paying off. From Preseason draft to early injuries which I'm sure had him questioning his life choices.
Worked his ass off to become one of our best & most versatile defenders as well as a fantastic leader & club man.
Thanks for everything Dylan, enjoy a few vino's in retirement as a Tiger Legend.

Reactions: 12 users
Outstanding Player and a magnificent career.
His effort to stand tall and go to the next level when Rance went down was a bloody unbeleivable acheivment and a key part in winning us the next two flags.
I salute you ...legend

Reactions: 13 users
One of the greats, but not really acknowlaged for how great he was by the rest of the footy world.

Reactions: 7 users
It's the end of an era, i'm a bit emotional, the last of the three brothers down back has retired. What a trio they were, always covering for each other, they changed how the game was played.

I love this photo.

1724121683530.png

• Love
Reactions: 25 users
Thank you Dylan. An absolute rock in our defence and played a huge part in keeping our defence rock solid when we lost Rance.

Enjoy retirement. Go breed some bunnies, and call every one of them Charlie Cameron.

• Haha
What a fantastic player and person. So reliable. So flexible in the roles that he could play. Courageous. Pivotal player.

Great career and big thanks Dylan.

All the accolades being thrown around here are not even properly touching the surface on what he has done. The standards and attitude he helped drive along with his form over our premierships.

2019 and 2020 wouldn’t have happened without him. So a massive thank you.

Seems to be the ultimate team man or as we know the Richmond Man.

Reactions: 10 users

End of an era: Grimes the latest Tiger to call it quits​

ByJon Pierik the Age​

August 20, 2024 — 12.17pm

Former Richmond captain Dylan Grimes is the latest Tiger to call it quits, as the club’s premiership era recedes further into memory.
Grimes joins the likes of Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt and Dustin Martin to have retired over the past year, while coach Damien Hardwick is now with the Gold Coast. Club chief executive Brendon Gale will soon leave and take up his post with the league’s newest club, Tasmania Devils.
Grimes, a beloved figure among his teammates for his dour work in defence through three premierships, told teammates on Tuesday of his decision. Grimes said he felt indebted to the club.
End of an era: Triple-premiership defender Dylan Grimes.

End of an era: Triple-premiership defender Dylan Grimes.Credit:Getty Images
“The club had plenty of reasons to throw in the towel with me over many years with surgeries, form slumps or whatever [else],” he said.

“There is a part of me that has had a chip on my shoulder for my entire career to try and repay the debt I felt like I owed the club. Almost everything good in my life, I have because of here, so thank you.”
Grimes’ 234-game career, of which only five came this year because of a back injury, led him to be a Jack Dyer medallist, All-Australian, and two-time winner of the club’s prestigious Francis Bourke Award.
He also captained the club in 2022-23 when he and Toby Nankervis shared the honour.
“To be a great club you need to have great people, and this place is blessed with some of the best that there is,” Grimes said.

“I will miss the thrill of the contest, and I will miss the incredible feeling of playing in front of the best fans in the world … But I leave with no regrets and just a sense of pride for everything we have achieved together.”

Grimes was overlooked in the 2009 national draft, joining the Tigers with the second pick in the ensuing pre-season draft.
Gale said Grimes, who endured serious hamstring issues early in his career, would be remembered as one of the club’s all-time greats.
“Dylan arrived at the club via the pre-season draft and, straight away, you could tell that he was going to be a player that got everything out of himself, which 15 years later has certainly come to fruition,” Gale said.

“His importance to our team and club across a long period has been profound, and his contribution to our era of success has been outstanding. In a role that does not always receive the plaudits, Dylan exemplified, and he was respected and admired across the league as a top-line quality player.
“Dylan had a wonderful career and is one of our most decorated players, but his legacy at the club as a great teammate will be the most lasting.”
Grimes’ departure comes a day after teammate Shai Bolton said he was open to a trade to either West Coast or Fremantle, while premiership teammate Liam Baker could also be on the move home west. Jack Graham is also considering a move west, while running defender Daniel Rioli has been linked with the Suns.

Reactions: 4 users
Has there been a quicker CHB/HB? Electrifying pace early and never lost that much through the years.
Another of our greats.

Reactions: 7 users
Outstanding clubman, player and person.
Would have got to 300 games if not for injuries.
All the best Optimus.

Reactions: 5 users