Dylan Grimes JDM | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dylan Grimes JDM

See you Dylan. Such a courageous, reliable and dependable player. Once you got your body sorted you were amazing. Such an underrated talent by those outside the Tigers.
We got the great Grimes.
Enjoy your retirement, the vineyard and I hope your body gets better now AFL is behind you.

Reactions: 7 users
I contributed to his family’s future last week when we had lunch at the restaurant at their winery. It was a very, very nice lunch. I saw him around outside but did not get a chance to say thanks and get a Go Tiges in. A long time favourite of mine was the Optimus Grimes.

I recommend anyone looking for a really nice meal and experience close to Melbourne to plan a visit to his winery. I look forward to going back in summer where they have a lovely outdoor area.

Reactions: 8 users
Optimus gone…. We knew it was coming, but man I’ll miss watching him just blanket players and fully shut them down. Unheralded great

From inauspicious beginnings to 3 x premiership legend.

You won’t ever be forgotten Dylan.

Thank you.

Reactions: 3 users
Ahhhh *smile* it. Hard being a Tiger fan this year, n it keeps on getting worse. *smile* footy season. *smile* injury season. The Dusty one packs the kit bag. Now my favourite Grub also packs the kit bag as well. Simply loved the way this bloke played his footy, just never ever compromised his attack on the contest n oppo player, harder than a cats head with a sneaky hint of nasty thrown in for fun.

Can't wait for this season to end and the trade n draft to be done n dusted, simply gotta start looking ahead to the next gen n put our glorious flag era behind me. Only a handful of those club champions left n we'll soon be waving the last of them goodbye as well. Won't be long n well be calling them back as homecoming heroes for pre game.

Reactions: 9 users
Geeze, I hate father time. What a prick.

So long Grimey and thanks for all the fond memories. Probably the fastest, toughest, most reliable defender at our club in my time, and possibly the whole league. Gonna miss that intense stare he had when charging into the contest and then summing up his options after winning it.

Became what I hoped Will Thursfield might turn into but didn't quite. I hope his body isn't too banged up and he enjoys his retirement to the fullest extent.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
My favourite player of the last decade. Genuine gun. Spoke softly and carried a big stick.
Grimesy was the Stick :mhihi

Not many players in modern footy accelerated into a contest, Dylan Grimes was one who did.

Hard business no BS was his MO.

Has struggled over the last couple of years, part of the problem being the level we all expected him to play at because he was so good.

There is a list of players we would not have won those 3 flags without, Grimes is right up amongst the best of them.

Great career after overcoming adversity, will be sorely missed but the time has come.

When we look back it won't be the end of his career we remember but his invaluable role in our success. He may be underestimated but anyone who has watched the game for a long time knows where Grimes sits - a true champion in a triple premiership team.

Oh, and he can make a decent wine too, I think I'll crack a bottle soon in his honour, I'm sure I have a few left.

DS

As good of a defender as I’ve seen , doubt there’s many that lost as little one on ones as Grimes did , ad to the fact he was the equal of Tigger as helping his fellow defenders out .

1 AA is laughable and not sure the footy world realised how courageous D Grimes was …. Absolute Champion and as important as any in our Dynasty

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Underrated warrior. Way underrated. Should have been AA at least three times. Was our best defender in at least 2 GF wins. Beat every opponent to a pulp for years. Physically feared too. Loved him.

Reactions: 4 users
A couple or my memories of Dylan that have resurfaced upon reflecting on his career this week.

When Vlossy took the mark right on the half time siren went in the 2019 grand final, he did a fist pump like he was saying "we got these sons of bitches". And indeed we did. I was there that day so didn't notice it at the time but it stood out to me on the replay.

1724232082115.png

Also, although it ended up a shizen game, that massive hit in the 2015 elimination final on Shaun Higgins always stuck in my mind. Higgins was worse for wear even though it was Dylan that went flying spectacularly. But he got up and fought and won the footy like the champ he is.

• Love
A couple or my memories of Dylan that have resurfaced upon reflecting on his career this week.

When Vlossy took the mark right on the half time siren went in the 2019 grand final, he did a fist pump like he was saying "we got these sons of bitches". And indeed we did. I was there that day so didn't notice it at the time but it stood out to me on the replay.

View attachment 24024

Also, although it ended up a shizen game, that massive hit in the 2015 elimination final on Shaun Higgins always stuck in my mind. Higgins was worse for wear even though it was Dylan that went flying spectacularly. But he got up and fought and won the footy like the champ he is.

And what about this one!! Go to 55 second - 1 minute mark of this 2017 PF highlights reel. This was Optimus Grimes! Burned in my senses, can still see and hear it from the fence just in front of me. DG = Warrior

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
@DavidSSS What is winery or his wine called or labelled?

Cheers mate!

Tigers fans get behind his winery 👍

Someone else answered. His winery is in the Macedon region (hence the name!) and that is generally more suited to Pinot which I am less of a fan of. Their Pinot is pretty good and I tried the Cab Sav too from memory. Looking at my wine I only have a sparkling left.

Must order some more in honour of the great man retiring.

DS

Reactions: 1 user