Caro [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caro [Merged]

Re: Caro injured?

Hey Panthera it's really not that hard to be impartial and be a member, Lets say Caro writes an article on the Kangaroos or any other AFL club excluding Richmond, What difference would it make whether she is a member of Richmond or not?..... it's only the Richmond stories that people would stop and think... oh yeah... this woman barracks Richmond!... Yeah Right ::).... She does'nt show any favourtism towards us, and writes what has to without any fear or favour!.

We know Caro barracks for Richmond and Tim Lane barracks for the Blues! and so on with other media personalaties or jurnos, difference is they are paid up and she isnt!.

As for her daughter barracking for Richmond?... i know this because she told the listening audience on 3AW a few months back... you'd think mum Caro would buy her a membership?.
Just for the record her husband (Brendon Donohue Politicle reporter) barracks for Essendon!... whether hes paid up or not i dont know?

waiting since 80 said:
Just for the record her husband (Brendon Donohue Politicle reporter) barracks for Essendon!... whether hes paid up or not i dont know?

who does he vote for?

To be honest I am glad she isn't a member because it would be bloody poor form for a member to kick the club like she does. I actually find it hard to believe she is a supporter of the club.

IanG said:
Thats your opinion. If her opinion is different and in her opinion she needs to be seen to be impartial why is it hypocritical? Unless you believe she's simply making excuses but then why would you think that? The fact is if the appearance of impartiality is her reason for not being a member then its not due to a lack of integrity or being a tightarse or whatever other assertion you want to come up with to try and talk her down.

Come on Ian, if she's claiming that not having a membership makes her impartial, that's plainly ridiculous. She's not impartial. We all know she's not impartial. She is a Tiger supporter. Not having a membership is really the difference between her writing impartial and bias stories? Ahem. So pigs do fly.

I don't care if she has a Tiger membership or not, that's her perogative, but don't feed us this rubbish about the reason for not having one. We're not all that gullible.

No one is saying that not having a membership makes one impartial. I would be interested to see where Ian or I have said that.

What has been said is that as a professional journalist reporting on the game, having a formal affiliation with one of the clubs is not a good look. We all know the affiliations of the footy personalities because they played for and/or coached particular clubs. As a footy journalist Caroline Wilson appears to have made a choice to have no formal ties to any club that can be pointed out as a potential bias in her reporting. A membership of a football club is a tangible symbol of allegiance.

Panthera tigris FC said:
No one is saying that not having a membership makes one impartial. I would be interested to see where Ian or I have said that.

What has been said is that as a professional journalist reporting on the game, having a formal affiliation with one of the clubs is not a good look. We all know the affiliations of the footy personalities because they played for and/or coached particular clubs. As a footy journalist Caroline Wilson appears to have made a choice to have no formal ties to any club that can be pointed out as a potential bias in her reporting. A membership of a football club is a tangible symbol of allegiance.

On that basis almost every professional journalist out there must be bias. What a load of hogwash. I'm sorry. Our Caro has some very weird thought processes.

brigadiertiger said:
To be honest I am glad she isn't a member because it would be bloody poor form for a member to kick the club like she does. I actually find it hard to believe she is a supporter of the club.

Really? By extension, I hope 30% of the posters on here aren't members, given the kicking they have given the club in recent times. Caro talks about administration; she acknowledges she is not qualified to talk about the on-field stuff. And our administration has deserved the criticism it has received in recent times.

I loved Caro's piece in the Sunday Age about Richo. Her Richmond-ness came through in that article

GoodOne said:
On that basis almost every professional journalist out there must be bias. What a load of hogwash. I'm sorry. Our Caro has some very weird thought processes.
Spot on again Goodie

Brodders17 said:
who does he vote for?

Dont know?.... when i hear him report on political issues it's just another political report to me, done professionally and accurately.

Whether he votes for Labor, Liberal, Greens, National party, Family First Party it does'nt bother me, nor should it bother readers of The Age who Caro barracks for.

lukeanddad said:
Really? By extension, I hope 30% of the posters on here aren't members, given the kicking they have given the club in recent times. Caro talks about administration; she acknowledges she is not qualified to talk about the on-field stuff. And our administration has deserved the criticism it has received in recent times.

I loved Caro's piece in the Sunday Age about Richo. Her Richmond-ness came through in that article

Will have to take your word on her article because it would need for me to actually read her filth and that is something I am not about to do. Would rather read Dan Brown books and have bamboo forcibly pushed under my fingernails.

waiting since 80 said:
Dont know?.... when i hear him report on political issues it's just another political report to me, done professionally and accurately.

Whether he votes for Labor, Liberal, Greens, National party, Family First Party it does'nt bother me, nor should it bother readers of The Age who Caro barracks for.

Indeed. However, if he happened to be an actual member of one of those political parties don't you think you might read his articles slightly differently?

waiting since 80 said:

Exactly

mb64 said:

Panthera tigris FC said:
Indeed. However, if he happened to be an actual member of one of those political parties don't you think you might read his articles slightly differently?

mb64 said:
Spot on again Goodie

Panthera tigris FC said:
You think? Examples?

Any thoughts on my questions that you have ignored in relation to Goodies' and waiting's posts?

We would probably say that most of the posters here are supporters of the RFC, yet we do not ask if they are members.
Nobody really objects to any posters right to make comments about the RFC or their general bias.
Yet a lot of us do not offer the same consideration to Caro.

Why does being a member of the RFC dictate your rights to criticise?

Caro is a supporter of the RFC, just ask her.
Caro is quite passionate about many of the mistakes and stupid decision that were made by RFC management.

FFS, I hate some of the decision the RFC have made, we all hate some of these decisions

It is Caro's job to report on everything AFL, including stupid decisions made by the RFC management.

If you only want to read positive articles about the RFC, then stick to the Fighting Tiger and dont buy the Age, the Australian or the Herald Sun

Panthera tigris FC said:
You think? Examples?

Do you think reporters have become passionately involved in sport, in particular the AFL, with a desire to become AFL reporters without having any interest in AFL as a youngster. Maybe as a youngster they were never interested in following a team? Something that they became passionate about after they became AFL reporters? Of course not. Almost every journalist out there covering AFL would be passionate about the sport and would have followed a team throughout their lives. Does this bias change because they are a paid up member of their team? Would they be less bias if they hadn't held a membership? Doubt it.

GoodOne said:
Do you think reporters have become passionately involved in sport, in particular the AFL, with a desire to become AFL reporters without having any interest in AFL as a youngster. Maybe as a youngster they were never interested in following a team? Something that they became passionate about after they became AFL reporters? Of course not. Almost every journalist out there covering AFL would be passionate about the sport and would have followed a team throughout their lives. Does this bias change because they are a paid up member of their team? Would they be less bias if they hadn't held a membership? Doubt it.

It is none of my business whether you - or Caro - are RFC members. I choose to buy a membership for a bunch of reasons. I'd like to think I would respect the views of someone who chooses not to become a paid up member.

Panthera tigris FC said:

Honestly wouldn't bother me at all.... though remember we are talking politics here were someone like Donohue or Derryn Hinch or Neil Mitchell pushing a particular party would be looked at differently than say Brayshay or Mcguire pushing for their clubs!.

We are getting a bit off topic now.

lukeanddad said:
It is none of my business whether you - or Caro - are RFC members. I choose to buy a membership for a bunch of reasons. I'd like to think I would respect the views of someone who chooses not to become a paid up member.

Yes I agree but you are missing the point of the argument. I don't give a rats if Caro buys a membership. My point is don't use the excuse that not buying one is because doing so would not make you an impartial journalist. The point was brought up so I think I have a right to comment on my opinion.

GoodOne said:
My point is don't use the excuse that not buying one is because doing so would not make you an impartial journalist.

just to clarify, i think the argument isnt that it makes her impartial, but rather it helps with the perception she is impartial.