Caro [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caro [Merged]

Re: Caro injured?

Brodders17 said:
just to clarify, i think the argument isnt that it makes her impartial, but rather it helps with the perception she is impartial.

Not to me ;D

GoodOne said:
Do you think reporters have become passionately involved in sport, in particular the AFL, with a desire to become AFL reporters without having any interest in AFL as a youngster. Maybe as a youngster they were never interested in following a team? Something that they became passionate about after they became AFL reporters? Of course not. Almost every journalist out there covering AFL would be passionate about the sport and would have followed a team throughout their lives. Does this bias change because they are a paid up member of their team? Would they be less bias if they hadn't held a membership? Doubt it.

I think you miss the point. I didn't say she doesn't follow a team, we all know she does. However, as a journalist she has chosen to abstain from a formal association with any club which could be held against her as tangible evidence of bias. Does that mean she can't be biased? Of course not. However, no one can dismiss her as a "Richmond member reporting on footy" and that is important in her role in my (and other's) opinion.

Brodders17 said:
just to clarify, i think the argument isnt that it makes her impartial, but rather it helps with the perception she is impartial.
All journalists are biased, opinionated and run to their own agendas. Membership of a football club does not affect a journalist's impartiality at all, nor even a perception of a journalist's impartiality (IMO of course).

Panthera tigris FC said:
I think you miss the point. I didn't say she doesn't follow a team, we all know she does. However, as a journalist she has chosen to abstain from a formal association with any club which could be held against her as tangible evidence of bias. Does that mean she can't be biased? Of course not. However, no one can dismiss her as a "Richmond member reporting on footy" and that is important in her role in my (and other's) opinion.

You really mean that PT? You mean to tell me you would hold Caro's articles in a different light if she were a member of the RFC?

She's passionate about the clubs mistakes because she makes her living feeding off our carcuss, and I doubt very much that she is a passionate richmond person. For most people I would say that becoming a member is a statement of being more emotionally invested in the club. She is at the coalface of the AFL, she makes a living out of it, her old man was president, and she knows damn well that her club needs her dough and chooses not to hand it over. I would say that caro, more than most, would have no excuse. Now I'm not saying that if you're not a member you're not a true supporter in all cases(ie. as Pagan said), but I would when someone earns 2-3 hundred K a year. I just don't reckon she loves the club, if she did she'd be a member.

giallo e nero said:
She's passionate about the clubs mistakes because she makes her living feeding off our carcuss, and I doubt very much that she is a passionate richmond person. For most people I would say that becoming a member is a statement of being more emotionally invested in the club. She is at the coalface of the AFL, she makes a living out of it, her old man was president, and she knows damn well that her club needs her dough and chooses not to hand it over. I would say that caro, more than most, would have no excuse. Now I'm not saying that if you're not a member you're not a true supporter in all cases(ie. as Pagan said), but I would when someone earns 2-3 hundred K a year. I just don't reckon she loves the club, if she did she'd be a member.

Thats the point i keep stressing g e n... someone on that sort of money there is no excuse! especially that we are still in debt , a debt that she does'nt mind reminding us about every now and then on FC.

Panthera tigris FC said:

Well this is exactly the point we're arguing. Tangible evidence of bias? lol. Comeon, let's get serious. You're trying to make it sound like having a membership is somehow irrefutable evidence that you must barrack for a club and therefore be bias, whereas if you didn't have a membership, that somehow you can be dismissed as a Richmond supporter reporting on footy. Think I'll rest my case. One of the sillier discusions I've seen on here. But we're all entitled to our opinions. ;D

GoodOne said:
Well this is exactly the point we're arguing. Tangible evidence of bias? lol. Comeon, let's get serious. You're trying to make it sound like having a membership is somehow irrefutable evidence that you must barrack for a club and therefore be bias, whereas if you didn't have a membership, that somehow you can be dismissed as a Richmond supporter reporting on footy. Think I'll rest my case. One of the sillier discusions I've seen on here. But we're all entitled to our opinions. ;D

Not at all. You continue to miss the point. A person whose profession is to report on a sport has chosen to not have a formal affiliation with any of the clubs in that sport. If you think that is silly, as you say, you are entitled to that opinion.

Panthera tigris FC said:
Not at all. You continue to miss the point. A person whose profession is to report on a sport has chosen to not have a formal affiliation with any of the clubs in that sport. If you think that is silly, as you say, you are entitled to that opinion.

Sorry how have I missed the point? A person has chosen not to have a formal affiliation with any of the clubs of that sport. And? Or is that it? If so you are correct, she has chosen not to have a formal affiliation with a club. I am sure though the point was, would having an affilation make you more or less bias even though you barrack for the club.

Panthera tigris FC said:

So to commentate on any sport involving Australia the "true professional" would denounce their Australian citizenship?

RFC not KFC said:
So to commentate on any sport involving Australia the "true professional" would denounce their Australian citizenship?

Thanks for chiming in with that helpful comment. Aussie commentators working on Aussie sports have been known to be unbearable for the very reason we have been discussing. It takes a real professional to transcend that natural bias. Why a professional journalist would knowingly have a formal affiliation that could be pointed out as a source of bias is beyond me. However, it seems I might be in the minority with that view on this forum.

Panthera tigris FC said:

Jeepers her father was president of the club. She can never disassociate herself. How can her membership or not of the RFC seriously affect anyone's opinions of her writing.

Panthera tigris FC said:

So former players should be banned from commentary as they clearly had / have a formal affiliation with a team?

jb03 said:
Jeepers her father was president of the club. She can never disassociate herself. How can her membership or not of the RFC seriously affect anyone's opinions of her writing.
Would make no difference

Panthera tigris FC said:
I think you miss the point. I didn't say she doesn't follow a team, we all know she does. However, as a journalist she has chosen to abstain from a formal association with any club which could be held against her as tangible evidence of bias.

This is exactly the point and is the reason why Eddie McGuire copped it so badly.

RFC not KFC said:
So former players should be banned from commentary as they clearly had / have a formal affiliation with a team?

No-ones talking about banning anyone just that the personal choice Caro has made is a reasonable one. And as I've stated before there's a difference between ex footballers and qualified sports journalists. And BTW no-one has still been able to point to any actual football journalist who is a member of a club (note that this doesn't mean ex footballers or Presidents).

Why is there a difference between "qualified" sports journalist and a former player? What about a former player who is a "qualified" journalist? If you can be a builder after a football career why can't you be a journalist?

RFC not KFC said:
Why is there a difference between "qualified" sports journalist and a former player? What about a former player who is a "qualified" journalist? If you can be a builder after a football career why can't you be a journalist?

They can. Are there any? Are they still formally affiliated with their clubs?