Caro [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caro [Merged]

Re: Caro injured?

waiting since 80 said:
The income she earns through her employment at The Age,3aw, Footy Classified surely she could fork out a few hundred dollars a year to help out the club she supposedly loves.

Not if its a matter of principle to her.

waiting since 80 said:
One more thing IanG.... You say that she has to be impartial so that is why she is not a member, though on the other hand she barracks for Richmond?.

Do you really think people would stop buying The Age or not watch FC or turn the radio dial to another station if they knew Caro was a PAID UP MEMBER of the RFC?..... i'll give you my answer, it's a big no!

No but you're missing the point, to her its a matter of principle and credibility, to be seen to be impartial, to not have possible conflicts of interest rear their heads. All of which could arise. Sales aren't necessarily important but her credibility in the industry would be.

Baloo said:
I watched FC last night. Not only was Caro very happy and complimentary about the win, she also named Cousins has having had a very good game.

Who would've thunk it ?

Removing a knife from someones back is only a good deed if you didnt plunge it there in the first place ;)

waiting since 80 said:
You guys are kidding are'nt you?....why the sudden love for Caro ???,

Mate - you're making a fool of yourself.

Caroline WILSON supports out club, her father worked there, and she has passion for us to succeed. Have you listened to her properly? She critiques those things she sees as wrong (and there's been BUCKETS of wrong to criticize the last 25 years). She's in the opinion and fact business and is more often than not proven right.

She hasn't bought a membership... gee, I wonder why? Do you think the Senior Football Writer of The Age wants bias to be discussed with her name?

Seriously.

~Stu
:afro

DiscoStu said:

Caroline WILSON supports out club, her father worked there, and she has passion for us to succeed. Have you listened to her properly? She critiques those things she sees as wrong (and there's been BUCKETS of wrong to criticize the last 25 years). She's in the opinion and fact business and is more often than not proven right.

She hasn't bought a membership... gee, I wonder why? Do you think the Senior Football Writer of The Age wants bias to be discussed with her name?

Seriously.

~Stu
Except people already know her bias and I'm sure there are plenty of journos who have memberships

DiscoStu said:

~Stu

Oh give me a break will ya!.... She is a professional, simple as that!.... tell her to buy a membership and write non bias stories, it's not that hard.... women are good at multi tasking.

As Zerogame pointed out and i have already, there are other jurnos that are paid up and proud.

Oh yeah...Fool!

hopper said:
Don't mind what Caro writes. Don't mind that she isn't a RFC member or any other member - clearly her way of ensuring impartiality (as a journo not a footy personality - there's a difference). Don't always agree with her. But boohoo for me I suppose.

I do reckon anybody who has a problem with bias in Caro's writing needs to hit the shrink for a little paranoia therapy. She treats her career as more important than the footy team she barracks for - and so do I.

Very succinctly put once again Hippity!

Like IanG says, it is commendable more than lamentable that Caro is not a member of RFC for career responsibilities That doesn't mean she doesn't make other purchases that assist the club that have no conflicts of interest (specifically removing all voting rights). Conflict of interest is a tricky business, and a qualified journalist would have done a course in ethics and is likely to know enough on the subject to hold certain principles ;)

Doubt others mentioned on this thread are qualified journalists.

Baloo said:
I watched FC last night. Not only was Caro very happy and complimentary about the win, she also named Cousins has having had a very good game.

Who would've thunk it ?
Won't happen very often

ZeroGame said:
Except people already know her bias and I'm sure there are plenty of journos who have memberships

What bias? If anything she bends too far the other way in her writing, probably in an effort to show her lack of bias. As for other journos no-one has been able to quote any others who are members apart from ex players and Presidents.

waiting since 80 said:
As Zerogame pointed out and i have already, there are other jurnos that are paid up and proud.

You haven't shown anything of the sort.

I'm constantly amazed how people presume to know about others' situations and pass judgement on them accordingly. Caro is obviously a Richmond supporter. We don't know the facts and reasons for her personal situation and, if she's not a member, whether she supports the club in other ways. Whether she's a member or not, same as with any other supporter, is entirely her business.

rosy23 said:
I'm constantly amazed how people presume to know about others' situations and pass judgement on them accordingly. Caro is obviously a Richmond supporter. We don't know the facts and reasons for her personal situation and, if she's not a member, whether she supports the club in other ways. Whether she's a member or not, same as with any other supporter, is entirely her business.

I still find it disappointing Rosy. I am disappointed in al lthose fans who dont unless it is for financial reasons and I dont think she has that excuse.

shawry said:
I still find it disappointing Rosy. I am disappointed in al lthose fans who dont unless it is for financial reasons and I dont think she has that excuse.

As Ian continues to point out, she has a far better excuse. Her employment as senior football writer with The Age requires, at minimum the appearance of impartiality.

Did you enjoy McGuire commentating Collinwood matches?

Caro obviously takes her role as a journalist seriously enough that she avoids any obvious conflicts of interest.

I wonder if Mike Sheahan is a member of any club. Or Robbo.

Of course we remember that Rexy 'forgot' to take out his Tigers membership.

Caro has two options: take out no membership; or (as Gerard and Dwayne do) take out multiple memberships. I am totally comfortable with her approach. Her Richmond-ness comes through very clearly to me.

shawry said:

I still haven't seen any evidence to show whether Caro is or isn't a member and her reasons either way. I also don't know whether she is a coterie member, whether she donates to the JD foundation, whether she adds to our coffers in any way at all. I certainly don't think it's my business to speculate about.

You'd probably be disappointed in my mother shawry, and waiting would probably consider her a tight arse. She's not a member but her life long love of Richmond has no doubt benefited the club in many other ways.

rosy23 said:
I still haven't seen any evidence to show whether Caro is or isn't a member and her reasons either way.

She's admitted it on radio, but didn't explain why

rosy23 said:
I still haven't seen any evidence to show whether Caro is or isn't a member and her reasons either way.

You'd probably be disappointed in my mother shawry, and waiting would probably consider her a tight arse. She's not a member but her life long love of Richmond has no doubt benefited the club in many other ways.

1. The evidence that she is'nt a member was about 2 weeks ago on Healy and Russell's 3AW's Sport Today show, she said it herself when Gerard asked her if she was a member?.... her response was "i'm not a member of any club!.... Which i pointed out in post#16.

2. Rosy i know nothing about your mothers personal finance (and nor should i?,it's none of my business) though im tipping that Caro with her employment at The Age, Footy Classifed, 3AW Roles and whatever else she does for money? she would probably earn more than you, me, your mother, IanG, Phar Ace and Disco Stu salaries all combined!.

rosy23 said:
Understand where your coming from Rosy but a symbol of supporting a club is being a member.She should be a member as far as l'm concerned.