Caro [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caro [Merged]

Re: Caro injured?

Panthera tigris FC said:
They can. Are there any? Are they still formally affiliated with their clubs?

As I read your last question the inference is that it is okay to be formerly formally affiliated. As such if Caro had a membership for 20 years but tore it up this year you would have no question regarding perceived bias?

RFC not KFC said:
As I read your last question the inference is that it is okay to be formerly formally affiliated. As such if Caro had a membership for 20 years but tore it up this year you would have no question regarding perceived bias?

It is not whether she can be accused of bias. The reality is she often is accused of bias, which is understandable considering her background. Do you think accusations of bias would carry more weight if she was a member of the club? It seems reasonable that someone that is serious about reporting on the game would choose to not have a formal affiliation with any club.

Panthera tigris FC said:
It is not whether she can be accused of bias. The reality is she often is accused of bias, which is understandable considering her background. Do you think accusations of bias would carry more weight if she was a member of the club? It seems reasonable that someone that is serious about reporting on the game would choose to not have a formal affiliation with any club.

If anything a reasonable person would know that a decent journalist should be capable of putting any bias they may hold aside. If you actually believe that Caro not buying a membership makes her more credible as a journo then good luck to you.

What car should a motoring writer drive?

c'mon people -

she' probably got a chicken farm and I bet they're all members

;)

RFC not KFC said:
Why is there a difference between "qualified" sports journalist and a former player? What about a former player who is a "qualified" journalist? If you can be a builder after a football career why can't you be a journalist?

Former players are just opinion writers. Qualified journalists are usually held to a higher ethical standard and responsibility because they are qualified and usually members of professional associations. The qualification would usually cover their ethical responsibilities and the professional associations would have ethical standards that members are required to adhere to.

RFC not KFC said:
If anything a reasonable person would know that a decent journalist should be capable of putting any bias they may hold aside. If you actually believe that Caro not buying a membership makes her more credible as a journo then good luck to you.

You're still missing the point. As Eddie McGuire found out a formal connection to a club does give more weight to accusations of bias because there's always the possibility that the journalist will write or say something to deliberately give the club an advantage over other clubs whereas without that formal connection its simply thought of as mere bias.

IanG said:
Former players are just opinion writers. Qualified journalists are usually held to a higher ethical standard and responsibility because they are qualified and usually members of professional associations. The qualification would usually cover their ethical responsibilities and the professional associations would have ethical standards that members are required to adhere to.

You're still missing the point. As Eddie McGuire found out a formal connection to a club does give more weight to accusations of bias because there's always the possibility that the journalist will write or say something to deliberately give the club an advantage over other clubs whereas without that formal connection its simply thought of as mere bias.

Good points as always Ian! That the people who criticise Caro also criticised Eddie is were all the hypocrisy sits.

There is a well worn saying, "that is simply not enough to be impartial, but also to be seen as impartial" (paraphrased). Those citing that doesn't of itself make her impartial are right, but it fulfills the saying's ethos. And for a journalis that is important - it goes to the very core of their profession.

So criticise her for it if you must, but you do so from the privledged position of ignorance, a place we are all entitled to stand.

IanG said:

This is ridiculous. We're comparing Eddie, a president of a football club and a media commentator, with someone who is not. Eddie's positions were clearly conflicted, and there was clear bias in Eddie's actions, even on the footy show, where breaking bad headline stories about Collingwood never seemed to be aired in that Thursday night timeslot. And understandably, as Eddie was president.

Having a club membership does not qualify as a formal affiliation as being the president of a footy club does. Once again, the point is, if Caro had a Richmond membership, would it make her more bias than if she didn't. I say no, it would not make one iota of difference. We ALL know here affinity for Richmond regardless of her membership status.

GoodOne said:
Having a club membership does not qualify as a formal affiliation as being the president of a footy club does.

Of course it does, not to the same extent but it is a formal affiliation. You may think it a small thing that doesn't mean anything but IMHO its reasonable for her to take a different view. This is what it comes down to, a difference of opinion, but one which doesn't make her a tightarse or the other accusations that have been hurled at her in this thread. You don't think she's a strong supporter of the club because of that, fine, who cares, is she a worse person because of that, no.

I never made judgement on whether that makes her a strong supporter or not, or whether she is a good or bad person. You're going off on a tangent. Would she be more bias in articles if she was a paid up member is the contention? Of course not.

GoodOne said:
I never made judgement on whether that makes her a strong supporter or not, or whether she is a good or bad person. You're going off on a tangent. Would she be more bias in articles if she was a paid up member is the contention? Of course not.

I doubt she would be either but thats not really the issue.

GoodOne said:
Exactly

GoodOne said:
This is ridiculous. We're comparing Eddie, a president of a football club and a media commentator, with someone who is not. Eddie's positions were clearly conflicted, and there was clear bias in Eddie's actions, even on the footy show, where breaking bad headline stories about Collingwood never seemed to be aired in that Thursday night timeslot. And understandably, as Eddie was president.

Having a club membership does not qualify as a formal affiliation as being the president of a footy club does. Once again, the point is, if Caro had a Richmond membership, would it make her more bias than if she didn't. I say no, it would not make one iota of difference. We ALL know here affinity for Richmond regardless of her membership status.

Well said Good one!

Caro does'nt have a conflict of interest and plug Richmond sponsors left right and centre, nor does she doing any promotional work or throw in money (that i know of) too help us out they way Eddie does..... though she still says that she loves the club?.

As for your second point re: membership and bias... some people just wont cop it that you can be paid up and still be a good (non Bias) jurno.

waiting since 80 said:
As for your second point re: membership and bias... some people just wont cop it that you can be paid up and still be a good (non Bias) jurno.

i think youve just (accidentally) made the point very well.

IanG said:

I think you have the RMIT Journalism course mixed up with the Hippocratic Oath. What is this mysterious qualification that covers their ethical responsibilities? What are the professional associations that have ethic standards that their members are required to adhere to?

If you think that Caro's journalism can give the Tigers an advantage you have a different understanding to most as to what could be considered advantageous.

Panthera tigris FC said:
There are plenty of journalism organisations that have ethical principles to adhere to.

Check out the International Federation of Journalists or the Canons of Journalism that the American Society of Newspaper Editors adhere to.

Take note of the emphasis on Independence and Impartiality in these ethical standards.

Now list the AFL journalists who are members of these..... tipping it won't take long because either A) you don't know or B) there aren't any.

RFC not KFC said:
Now list the AFL journalists who are members of these..... tipping it won't take long because either A) you don't know or B) there aren't any.

Yes, that's right AFL journalists don't adhere to any ethical principles ::).

My post was in direct response to your post questioning:

RFC not KFC said:
What are the professional associations that have ethic standards that their members are required to adhere to?

(6) FAIR PLAY Canons of Journalism

B. It is the privilege, as it is the duty, of a newspaper to make prompt and complete correction of its own serious mistakes of fact or opinion, whatever their origin.

Whatever their origin?...... I guess that must mean Caro's sources?

Panthera tigris FC said:
Yes, that's right AFL journalists don't adhere to any ethical principles ::).

My post was in direct response to your post questioning:

So is that A) or B)?

RFC not KFC said:
So is that A) or B)?
I didn't respond because it was a pointless question.

For instance:
So you don't believe that AFL journalists belong to an organisation that imposes ethical responsibilities? Prove it.

See how easy (and pointless) that is?

The point is that there are organisations within Australia that journalists are members of (eg. the Australian Journalists Association and the Commonwealth Journalists Association), which have ethical standards despite what you suggested in your "Hippocratic Oath" post.