Caro [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caro [Merged]

Re: Caroline is a borderline joke.

GoodOne said:
Ill be giving Slick Jason's Auto a miss.

Was going to work GoodOne's Auto's in there too but this site keeps rolling a thread more than 6/7 lines so i can;t see what I'm typing (yeah i know - how does that differ from normal - beat ya ;D )

Phar Ace said:
Nor is it even their job too.

is it their job to lie? The truth with facts wouldnt go astray would it?

The reverse you talk about is an interesting thing. An analogy:

A guy in a pub says to his mates, "just traded in my car at Slick Jason's Autos. Got $4500 for it cos they couldn't hear the rings rattling and pistons slapping - saw dust worked a treat mate" Everyone roundly congratulates the guy and is now a legend for the afternoon.

93 days later, the same guy goes back to Slick Jason's Autos complaining his $5000 car needs a complete overhaul because someone bodgied up the motor long enough to get past the 90 day warranty. The case is now before the court with the help of the Office of Fair Trading.

It's always interesting to witness who is the scoundrel and from whose perspective?

Indeed.

Disco Stu said:
IT started off life in the form of a maggot, living off the bleeding of others. Whether it was an innocuous scratch or a fatal wound, IT was in there sucking as much as IT possibly could out of the victim, sometimes IT would return to the same spot to gnaw on the scar tissue. Once the wound had been sucked dried & healed over, IT would disappear & return as a 'pretty' butterfly sitting on the shoulder of ITs previous host who had now recovered.

One day when IT was sitting on the shoulder, just under the ear of ITs host, the host slipped. Another nasty injury was sustained by the clumsy host.

IT became a blowfly, a smart blowfly, when IT got into the wounds this time IT laid some little maggots in the host. Now the little maggots sometimes tell IT that they have found a new wound or infection & the big blowfly knows straight away about all the internal bleeding.

The host now knows the problems that blowflies & maggots cause, so the host needs to be wise & at first sight of a maggot within, it needs to be removed immediately & completely. As for the blow fly which comes & goes for the purpose of solely feeding itself & of no concern for the host, the host needs to put up as many barriers to keep away the sneaky, shifty, disease riddled parasite at all costs.

Remember this parasite needs a host, if it can't get to the host it has no purpose. The host must be vigilant, remember this a smart blowfly with chameleon like ability. All maggots & blowflies need to kept at bay at all times.
What a perfect way to describe the situation and those involved Great work Disco :clap

Jason King said:
is it their job to lie? The truth with facts wouldnt go astray would it?

Indeed.

That is a massive generalisation Jace. Again i refer to my analogy.

Jason King said:
No doubting Ben likes the drink, he has said so himself. But he has also said he doesnt have a problem with it. The club and president dont have a problem with it. Thats where it should have ended. I dont like Wilson, but i give her respect when she is right. Its just a shame she cant take her own medicine when she is wrong.

Not if she has sources that say different and if someone like me has heard stories then I tend to think where there's smoke there's fire, especially if he's had a problem in the past. Cousins is the last person I'd believe. She hasn't been proved wrong on the issue except the part about club officials speaking to him.

I originally had the same opinion as you, I criticised her in the thread on the issue at the time but I revised my stance after it became pretty clear to me that Cousins did have a drinking problem.

IanG said:
Not if she has sources that say different and if someone like me has heard stories then I tend to think where there's smoke there's fire, especially if he's had a problem in the past. Cousins is the last person I'd believe. She hasn't been proved wrong on the issue except the part about club officials speaking to him.
It doesn't mean she has been proven correct either.

Ben may like the odd beer but her story was that he had been spoken to..so the message is he is in trouble (again) for misuse of a sometimes addictive substance.

She then winds him into a story about the 5 most disappointing issues arising from footy so far this year, despite the fact that any one who knows anything about amphetamine addiction would say,.. she and all of the media should be singing his praises while offering him as a (rare) role model for people in his situation.

This of course is nothing about renewal of contract..what it is about is giving credit where its due and from that perspective both Ben and the RFC deserve the praise of the media, rather than the crap we are getting.

As a senior journalist with pretensions as Mrs Football she is a shocker.

IanG said:
I originally had the same opinion as you, I criticised her in the thread on the issue at the time but I revised my stance after it became pretty clear to me that Cousins did have a drinking problem.

Pretty clear? How do you derive at that?

Re: Caro injured?

Phar Ace said:
Agreed, but she seems to get an above average share on here from what I can tell - still not a fan of some of her writings, but anecdotally at least, reckon her gender gets in the way for some.

She gets an above average share simply because she is worse than the average.

momentai said:
Dan got drunk and disturbed some guests at the hotel. He was not charged with multitple counts of rape or tra in dangerous drugs, or assaults as were others on her list.

That's your version of events. The RFC obviously thought it was pretty disappointing considering they suspended 3 of our players, one of them for 8 weeks. That was majorly disappointing as far as I'm concerned. Which 5 incidents disappointed you more?

Baloo said:
You just need to head over to BigFooty to see that whenever an anti-Caro thread pops up a lot of the insults are gender related. Certainly a greater portion of gender related insults than any male journalist.

Hey Baloo this place aint Big Footy far from it, secondly no one has made any mention of her gender thus far into this topic..... to be honest i think it would be water off a ducks back to Caro, how many times she would of have had fans or footballers say to her "you would'nt know what your talking about cos you have never played the game".

Its the supposedly conflict of interest that would be brought up if she was a member of our club that has me baffled.

The hilarious thing is, she has the title of Chief Football Writer at The Age.
She doesn't write about football, she writes about misdemeanors, scandal & anything else that is grubby. To balance it all, she writes the occasional feel good story like the Hall of Fame or a players testimonial.
I question her football knowledge. I think she also does, I say this due to as soon as footy classifieds on 9 start talking football she becomes an absolute mute. The panel know not to ask her opinion as she doesn't want to answer for fear of making a fool of herself, either that or it is a directive from above, probably for the same reason.

Loved it a couple of weeks ago when Grant Thomas (former everything at a footy club) gave his view on how the Aka thing would affect a football club, Caro said Grant you're wrong, you don't get it. Geez, a guy who has been a player, coach, board member & every thing in between doesn't get it but she who is as only as close as her anonymous sources does. Sorry Caro, what makes you an expert?

Then a few months back asked B.Gale about the Cuz incident. He answered it categorically twice for her, she then sighed & told him that he wasn't correct, nicely calling him a liar. Like a little kid, with her loaded question thinking she would get the answer she wanted & then when she didn't get it, crossed her arms, stamped her feet & cracked the poo-poos.

Football journalism would be better off without her types.

GoodOne said:
Pity there's nothing in these journalist ethical standard lists that says 'I will admit when I am wrong'.

Yes there is GoodOne.... unfortunately Mrs Wilson does not adhere to it!

For all too see under " Canons of jurnolism "

(6) Fair Play
B. It is the priviledge, as it is the duty,of a newspsper to make the prompt and complete correction of its own serious mistakes of fact or opinion, whatever there origin.

I guess that would include her sources ::).

Disco Stu said:
IT started off life in the form of a maggot, living off the bleeding of others. Whether it was an innocuous scratch or a fatal wound, IT was in there sucking as much as IT possibly could out of the victim, sometimes IT would return to the same spot to gnaw on the scar tissue. Once the wound had been sucked dried & healed over, IT would disappear & return as a 'pretty' butterfly sitting on the shoulder of ITs previous host who had now recovered.

One day when IT was sitting on the shoulder, just under the ear of ITs host, the host slipped. Another nasty injury was sustained by the clumsy host.

IT became a blowfly, a smart blowfly, when IT got into the wounds this time IT laid some little maggots in the host. Now the little maggots sometimes tell IT that they have found a new wound or infection & the big blowfly knows straight away about all the internal bleeding.

The host now knows the problems that blowflies & maggots cause, so the host needs to be wise & at first sight of a maggot within, it needs to be removed immediately & completely. As for the blow fly which comes & goes for the purpose of solely feeding itself & of no concern for the host, the host needs to put up as many barriers to keep away the sneaky, shifty, disease riddled parasite at all costs.

Remember this parasite needs a host, if it can't get to the host it has no purpose. The host must be vigilant, remember this a smart blowfly with chameleon like ability. All maggots & blowflies need to kept at bay at all times.

i've worked in IT for years Stu and I don't like what you're inferring here :hihi

Phar Ace said:
93 days later, the same guy goes back to Slick Jason's Autos complaining his $5000 car needs a complete overhaul because someone bodgied up the motor long enough to get past the 90 day warranty

buyer beware - always bite the bullet and pay for the 2.5 month full inspection ;D

GoodOne said:
Ill be giving Slick Jason's Auto a miss.

i think I've seen them on a current affair :eek:

seriously though..the Dan (Jimmy) Connors incident is more severe at the Tiges because we have a desperate need for success. fair call by Caro.

rosy23 said:
That's your version of events. The RFC obviously thought it was pretty disappointing considering they suspended 3 of our players, one of them for 8 weeks. That was majorly disappointing as far as I'm concerned. Which 5 incidents disappointed you more?

Don't get yourself worked up there Rosy. The fact that players were suspended, Dan for 8 matches, doesnt make their performance worse than players at other other clubs who typically understate the significance of their (players) conduct and impose light penalties. Collingwood and Carlton are prime examples. What did Didac do for conduct with that Hudson, that led directly to fatal city shootings?

The RFC and Ben Gale are trying to put their 'line in the sand.' OK but no way can the penalties imposed by the RFC be used to compare the degree of wrong doing of our players with players from other clubs. Fev also comes to mind for very public drunken and criminal behaviour over many years.

My point was about Ben Cousins. He and the RFC are to be congratulated on how far they have come. Instead the media and some of our strongest supporters can not see past their prejudice.

As for 5 more disappointing issues.. good question.

To me number one by a long margin is the failure of the AFL to monitor the TPP and the manner in which our so called 'even playing ground' has been compromised by third party payments.

Number two is the way the introduction of GC and WS has been used to deny RFC its right to much needed support. Add in the degree to which these clubs are being advantaged by AFL rulings and the conflict of interest that has been created. Money to Hunt and Folau without equivalent payments to other clubs is a further issue.

Three is the failure of the AFL to address ongoing concerns about the hardness of Etihad and the consequences for players.

Four is the failure we as a club have had in giving the arse to the RCC from punt road thereby reducing our ability to take out the centre turf and properly prepare the ground for footy use.

Last but not least is the failure of the footy media to recognize the achievement of Ben Cousins and RFC'S contribution to that achievement.

IanG said:
Former players are just opinion writers. Qualified journalists are usually held to a higher ethical standard and responsibility because they are qualified and usually members of professional associations. The qualification would usually cover their ethical responsibilities and the professional associations would have ethical standards that members are required to adhere to.

You ask what I'm arguing - as clearly stated but conveniently ignored - I'm arguing the tripe posted here is tripe.

RFC not KFC said:
You ask what I'm arguing - as clearly stated but conveniently ignored - I'm arguing the tripe posted here is tripe.

Why is it tripe? What in there is not true?

jb03 said:
Pretty clear? How do you derive at that?

Based on what I've heard from more than 1 source. And yes I acknowledge its circumstantial, I do believe it though.