Caro [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caro [Merged]

Dusty said:
Totally agree with you momentai! I have read so much about Ben and Caro in this and others forums, some of the stuff written is unbelievable! This is my rant for anyone interested.

Well known that Ben is on a different contract to other AFL players ” a one-chance contract”

Only details made public were three weekly drug test- meetings with AFL doctors- ongoing drug rehab /counseling.

Any issues with Ben re drinking/ his health would be addressed by his doctors / counselor/AFL. If anyone one at Richmond would “speak” to Ben about his drinking than they would have to speak to Richo, who smoked and liked to drink a lot (often seen at Love Machine after games until early hours of the morning and others, in group sessions as all clubs do.
Ben has admitted that he drinks. I am sure he has had some “big nights” like many other AFL players. Ben is under close scrutiny from AFL/Media. He would never have been offered another contract last year if had breached his contract! Or there were concerns about his lifestyle.

Rosy - do you know for a fact he showed up in poor condition had and had his attitude questioned at the start of the season or because that is what Caro wrote?

Because on 3aw when Brendon Gale was questioned his reply was Ben had some issues before Xmas “the past 2 yrs caught up with him” What would he mean by that? Can you imagine what the past 2 yrs have done to his family, friends. He destroyed relationships/ lost a lot of money. His ex girlfriend of 13 yrs became engaged to a friend of his before Xmas. On reflection of the past 2 yrs, I can understand where Ben’s head was at.

When Hardwick was asked the same question his reply was that Ben had things on his mind and the coaches that worked with him and “got him back up.” (I’m trying to find a photo of Ben and Chris Newman working out in the gym on their first day back in Jan. it was on 7 news and in HS) No way could anyone say Ben was in poor condition!)

That is why I am so proud of the RFC! Ben was in real danger of a relapse in that period. However, our coaches, our doctor, Gale , March, good people at the club, us the supporters, have given this human being the will to fight for his life and enjoy his football, which it seems may have been lost for a short time.

As for Caro, to feed of someone’s vulnerability and the source with in the club that feeds her, I cannot express my feelings about them on this forum.

Great post Dusty.

I 110% agree with your last line. A prime reason I can't stand her, we need to flush out the rat within in our ranks.

Dusty said:
Totally agree with you momentai! I have read so much about Ben and Caro in this and others forums, some of the stuff written is unbelievable! This is my rant for anyone interested.

Well known that Ben is on a different contract to other AFL players ” a one-chance contract”

Only details made public were three weekly drug test- meetings with AFL doctors- ongoing drug rehab /counseling.

Any issues with Ben re drinking/ his health would be addressed by his doctors / counselor/AFL. If anyone one at Richmond would “speak” to Ben about his drinking than they would have to speak to Richo, who smoked and liked to drink a lot (often seen at Love Machine after games until early hours of the morning and others, in group sessions as all clubs do.
Ben has admitted that he drinks. I am sure he has had some “big nights” like many other AFL players. Ben is under close scrutiny from AFL/Media. He would never have been offered another contract last year if had breached his contract! Or there were concerns about his lifestyle.

Rosy - do you know for a fact he showed up in poor condition had and had his attitude questioned at the start of the season or because that is what Caro wrote?

Because on 3aw when Brendon Gale was questioned his reply was Ben had some issues before Xmas “the past 2 yrs caught up with him” What would he mean by that? Can you imagine what the past 2 yrs have done to his family, friends. He destroyed relationships/ lost a lot of money. His ex girlfriend of 13 yrs became engaged to a friend of his before Xmas. On reflection of the past 2 yrs, I can understand where Ben’s head was at.

When Hardwick was asked the same question his reply was that Ben had things on his mind and the coaches that worked with him and “got him back up.” (I’m trying to find a photo of Ben and Chris Newman working out in the gym on their first day back in Jan. it was on 7 news and in HS) No way could anyone say Ben was in poor condition!)

That is why I am so proud of the RFC! Ben was in real danger of a relapse in that period. However, our coaches, our doctor, Gale , March, good people at the club, us the supporters, have given this human being the will to fight for his life and enjoy his football, which it seems may have been lost for a short time.

As for Caro, to feed of someone’s vulnerability and the source with in the club that feeds her, I cannot express my feelings about them on this forum.
Wow Dude, what a first post!! :clap

Dusty said:

Great post and welcome.

Dusty said:
Rosy - do you know for a fact he showed up in poor condition had and had his attitude questioned at the start of the season or because that is what Caro wrote

Welcome to PRE Dusty. :)

I don't know for a "fact" but I certainly don't recall Caro writing it either.  Have you actually seen Caro write it or have you just thrown her name  in for good measure?

I am going on comments from a  couple of people at the club and I think it's reasonable to assume they were genuine.  Benny and I think it was DH ( was possibly either Craig or Ross) have made reference to it.  I didn't bother to pedantically look up exact words when I said "poor condition" and "attitude"  but his training and mindset was certainly brought into question.  

I don't like the hypocrisy of the AFL either but Ben chose to join our list, and we drafted him, knowing the conditions that had been set in place.  

(Momentai I don't have a top favourite 5 references about Ben list and it seems a strange question for you to ask in the context of this thread imo)

Well Rosy you asked for my five more disappointing events and I attempted to deliver.
The fact is that the media endorsements of both Ben and the RFC for their efforts in this matter, are just not out there.

And the sad thing is that things probably wont change. Your own prejudice (as PRE boss) against Ben, is all over this site and the difficulties recovering addicts like Ben face in trying to restore faith, re-establish relationships and get on with giving some meaning and purpose to their lives, is reflected by the fact that he can't even win acceptance here.

momentai said:
Well Rosy you asked for my five more disappointing events and I at least attempted to deliver.

There was some relevance in that though.  Your thread was in reference to Caro's 5 most disappointing events.  She mentioned one incident that involved a few of our players but for some reason you turned it into a discussion about Ben.

I only asked your 5 most disappointing events out of interest to know what you rated more disappointing than our club being put in the position of suspending a few of our players for so many games. As a Richmond supporter I found that extremely disappointing.

Morning Rosy
--It appears that you were writng your response while I was typing an amendment. You may want to look at what I added to my post on previous page,
or not.

rosy23 said:
Welcome to PRE Dusty. :)

I don't know for a "fact" but I certainly don't recall Caro writing it either. Have you actually seen Caro write it or have you just thrown her name in for good measure?

Tks for your welcome Rosy. No ! I haven't just thrown her name in for good measure! Her exact words were that he was admonished! ( article 16/03 Hard living undercuts Bens hard work) which the club denied.

Ben also had surgery on his hand and shoulder in Dec. The club confirmed the interruption to his preparation . He went to Perth to be with his family while he recovered.

I am going on comments from a couple of people at the club and I think it's reasonable to assume they were genuine. Benny and I think it was DH ( was possibly either Craig or Ross) have made reference to it. I didn't bother to pedantically look up exact words when I said "poor condition" and "attitude" but his training and mindset was certainly brought into question.

I don't like the hypocrisy of the AFL either but Ben chose to join our list, and we drafted him, knowing the conditions that had been set in place.

(Momentai I don't have a top favourite 5 references about Ben list and it seems a strange question for you to ask in the context of this thread imo)

momentai said:
Morning Rosy
--It appears that you were writng your response while I was typing an amendment.

Not sure why you felt the need to sat that but 15 minutes later? Sure you weren't reading the thread off-line and amended your post after you'd read what I'd written as the "who's online" info suggested? ;)

momentai said:
Your own prejudice (as PRE boss) against Ben, is all over this site and the difficulties recovering addicts like Ben face in trying to restore faith, re-establish relationships and get on with giving some meaning and purpose to their lives, is reflected by the fact that he can't even win acceptance here.

Absolute piffle. I'd appreciate an explanation of how "as PRE boss" I am prejudiced against Ben and also evidence to back up your claim.

Dusty said:
Her exact words were that he was admonished! ( article 16/03 Hard living undercuts Bens hard work) which the club denied.

That is an entirely different matter than what I was referring to. Caro is discussing his drinking in that article. The comments from senior people at the club about his less than 100% return to training didn't mention alcohol as a reason and neither did I.

rosy23 said:
Not sure why you felt the need to sat that but 15 minutes later? Sure you weren't reading the thread off-line and amended your post after you'd read what I'd written as the "who's online" info suggested? ;)

Absolute piffle. I'd appreciate an explanation of how "as PRE boss" I am prejudiced against Ben and also evidence to back up your claim.
Rosy come on. You gotta know I type with only two fingers.

Your posts about Ben all suggest prejudice to me.( Ditto ToO).

You post on him regularly but have barely acknowledged his achievements as a recovering addict or the significant help the club has given him or what this may mean for others caught up in the same situation. And when ever you get too close to indicating the faintest level of approval you always find some reason to get into him for some other reason or another. And when you quote unamed sources ala.. Caro to do so .. that is disappointing to say the least.

Going back further you consistently opposed his recruitment which was fair enough but even when he became a Tiger you never changed.

If someone who plays for the Tigers and achieves so much can't get some love here, what hope do the rest of the poor bastards have.

rosy23 said:
That is an entirely different matter than what I was referring to. Caro is discussing his drinking in that article. The comments from senior people at the club about his less than 100% return to training didn't mention alcohol as a reason and neither did I.

No Rosy- Her words in that article " he was also admonished shortly before Christmas for a relative lack of fitness,
Maybe you just need to read that article again as well as the club response.

Dusty said:
No Rosy- Her words in that article " he was also admonished shortly before Christmas for a relative lack of fitness,
Maybe you just need to read that article again as well as the club response.

No worries. I'd appreciate a link please. Are you saying he wasn't admonished? A fair chance he was spoken to considering those in the know at the club raised the matter publicly.

momentai said:
Rosy come on. You gotta know I type with only two fingers.

Your posts about Ben all suggest prejudice to me.( Ditto ToO).

You post on him regularly but have barely acknowledged his achievements as a recovering addict or the significant help the club has given him or what this may mean for others caught up in the same situation. And when ever you get too close to indicating the faintest level of approval you always find some reason to get into him for some other reason or another. And when you quote unamed sources ala.. Caro to do so .. that is disappointing to say the least.

Going back further you consistently opposed his recruitment which was fair enough but even when he became a Tiger you never changed.

If someone who plays for the Tigers and achieves so much can't get some love here, what hope do the rest of the poor bastards have.

I wouldn't have a clue about Ben's situation as a recovering addict and don't think it's my business. I don't know the facts. I'd be very happy for him if in fact he was free of issues with alcohol or drugs, as I would be with any other person. I hope it's the case. My main interest in him though, as a Richmond member, is not his personal life but more how he plays for my club and how he represents it in public.

I asked you for examples of your claim that as PRE boss I am prejudiced against Ben. I'm not surprised you didn't oblige because it is crap. I have no prejudice against Ben at all and only discuss issues as I see them. He's had positives and negatives as a player at Tigerland. Some of his behaviour off-field has been disappointing.

Dusty said:

Great post Dusty :clap

Wow look whats in The Age?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bomber-to-pay-10000-for-assault-20100611-y2c7.html

Caro must have been too busy to write this one....then again had it been Cousins somehow i think she would of found the time.

momentai said:
And the sad thing is that things probably wont change. Your own prejudice (as PRE boss) against Ben, is all over this site and the difficulties recovering addicts like Ben face in trying to restore faith, re-establish relationships and get on with giving some meaning and purpose to their lives, is reflected by the fact that he can't even win acceptance here.
The site is full of your anti Ben observations and without any endorsements. When you have managed to say something remotely encouraging as in reply 209 you attach it to something about his poor condition after christmas. As has been pointed out by others you have totally misinterpreted the comments from the club about that matter and continue to cut him no slack at all.

And you are the boss of PRE and one of the most passionate Tigers I know.

I don't expect you to agree but I think you have handled the issue badly.