Caro [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caro [Merged]

Re: Caroline is a borderline joke.

Lucky there's no bias in her reporting. Imagine if she had a Richmond membership. I can't imagine.

IanG said:
You're just showing yet again that you don't understand the issues.

You and the 1 or 2 people who agree with you are entitled to think that the majority of people (including me) don't understand the issue.

Re: Caro injured?

Pity there's nothing in these journalist ethical standard lists that says 'I will admit when I am wrong'.

IanG said:
So why aren't you lambasting those calling her a tightarse as well? No-one knows thats why no conclusions on her character can be drawn.

Because I couldn't care whether or not Caro has a membership however the arguments put forward using journalistic qualifications, memberships of associations and the binding ethical standards are nothing but a laugh.

lukeanddad said:
Let me get this straight. You DON'T think the debacle in Sydney was a disgrace? You reckon its ok for Cuz to give a teammate a prescription sleeping tablet? I didn't hear the piece on radio, but an eight week club suspension is up there with Steve Johnson - and worse than what Otto did all those years ago.

I wouldn't rate it the 5 biggest disappointments in the AFL so far this season.
There's been plenty of other dumbass stuff then that.

RFC not KFC said:
Because I couldn't care whether or not Caro has a membership however the arguments put forward using journalistic qualifications, memberships of associations and the binding ethical standards are nothing but a laugh.

What exactly are you trying to argue in this thread? You seem to be just sniping around the edges without actually arguing anything. It is a fact that ethical standards for journalists exist, are taught, and are part of professional associations. It is also a fact that journalists can work without being members of such associations and are thus not bound at all by them. But without doubt some would have some integrity and follow those standards. I'm a member of a professional association in my field, that association has ethical standards that I as someone with a reasonable amount of integrity try to follow. Despite her occasional failings as a journalist, mainly that she makes assumptions rather than simply sticking to facts, she strikes me as someone with a reasonable amount of integrity and thus would in all probability try to follow ethical standards.

IanG said:
Her only error was assuming that officials had spoken to Cousins again. Its pretty clear now IMHO that around the beginning of the season Cousins did have a drinking problem.

Thats my problem with all this, opinions. Journalists are supposed to deal with facts and not opinions. Otherwise they may as well be writing for cleo.

"My sources" is just another euphemism for I havent got *smile*, so i will make it up.

Jason King said:
Thats my problem with all this, opinions. Journalists are supposed to deal with facts and not opinions. Otherwise they may as well be writing for cleo.

"My sources" is just another euphemism for I havent got sh!t, so i will make it up.

You think she was making Cousins drinking problems up? That would be grounds for slander so I doubt that is the case. There is circumstantial evidence that even I've heard which does indicate he had a problem around the time she wrote the story.

IanG said:
You think she was making Cousins drinking problems up? That would be grounds for slander so I doubt that is the case. There is circumstantial evidence that even I've heard which does indicate he had a problem around the time she wrote the story.

Caroline Wilson makes things up all the time. I have caterogically seen her on a number of times on that footy talk show, been told by the horse's mouth (usually the person being interviewed) that what she has said is incorrect, yet she never apologises or admits her incorrect information, but chooses to bumble her way through excuses and denials. She's not on her lonesome, most of them are the same. I guess there are so many footy journalists around, that when news is slow or non-existent, you have to make up stories to fill those newspapers. It's easy for jounralists these day. Just claim that you heard it from a reliable source and when that proves to be wrong just blame the source. Maybe journalists should spend more time verifying their source information further before blabbing it out. But maybe it then wouldnt make the article deadline.

IanG said:

No doubting Ben likes the drink, he has said so himself. But he has also said he doesnt have a problem with it. The club and president dont have a problem with it. Thats where it should have ended. I dont like Wilson, but i give her respect when she is right. Its just a shame she cant take her own medicine when she is wrong.

Ben would take 50 years to get through all the media slander if he wanted to litigate! He wouldnt know where to start.

This whole thread seems to hinge on whether she doesn't have a membership because she sees it as a conflict of interest and a potential breach of journalistic code of ethics, or perhaps because she can't be bothered getting a membership for a million other potential personal reasons.

BUT we don't know the answer to the question. The discussion thus seems pretty futile to me.

Judge her journalism on the qualities of her journalism. Judge her as a supporter on the quality of her support for RFC - and this is very separate to her public role as a journalist and I would argue is really her private life and not to be intruded on, unless she chooses to make it an issue in public.

GoodOne said:
Caroline Wilson makes things up all the time. I have caterogically seen her on a number of times on that footy talk show, been told by the horse's mouth (usually the person being interviewed) that what she has said is incorrect, yet she never apologises or admits her incorrect information, but chooses to bumble her way through excuses and denials. She's not on her lonesome, most of them are the same. I guess there are so many footy journalists around, that when news is slow or non-existent, you have to make up stories to fill those newspapers. It's easy for jounralists these day. Just claim that you heard it from a reliable source and when that proves to be wrong just blame the source. Maybe journalists should spend more time verifying their source information further before blabbing it out. But maybe it then wouldnt make the article deadline.

Come on Goody and Kingy, you don't think that some people in the face of accusation don't pork it up a bit? Journo's rely on sources, only a little at first until they prove themselves, them more so. So we believe that Cuz doesn't have a drinking problem because Cuz tells us? 99% of habitual drinkers don't have a drinking problem apparently - just ask em!

The only other issue is whether Gale is covering or just trusting. I suspect it's the latter in the absence of any hard information. But don't be surprised if there are some private concerns floating around.

Agree, the conversation is now worthless.

Whether Caro believes she would be more or less biased with or without a membership is not the point. If she believes there are people who read her stories who would throw up the fact she is a Richmond Member to dismiss her opinions when reporting on Richmond or even a situation about another team where Richmond would benefit (i.e. send North to QLD so less chance of RFC being forced to merge/relocate) then I can appreciate her stance.

You just need to read the various forums and coments to articles to see that there certainly would be people throwing up a Membership as proof positive she is biased. She has removed that so only her support for a team is questioned.

Do Sheahan and Robbo have a membership to any team ? Or are they just supporters ? John Ralph, another Richmond supporting Journo, does he have a membership ? Or is it different because they concentrate on the footy aspects as opposed to the workings of the machine ? Or is it because they are male ?

Phar Ace said:
Come on Goody and Kingy, you don't think that some people in the face of accusation don't pork it up a bit? Journo's rely on sources, only a little at first until they prove themselves, them more so. So we believe that Cuz doesn't have a drinking problem because Cuz tells us? 99% of habitual drinkers don't have a drinking problem apparently - just ask em!

The only other issue is whether Gale is covering or just trusting. I suspect it's the latter in the absence of any hard information. But don't be surprised if there are some private concerns floating around.

Its a revolving door Phar Ace ;) The same can be said in reverse. I tend to question journalists intentions, they rarely if ever try to help someone.

antman said:
This whole thread seems to hinge on whether she doesn't have a membership because she sees it as a conflict of interest and a potential breach of journalistic code of ethics, or perhaps because she can't be bothered getting a membership for a million other potential personal reasons.

BUT we don't know the answer to the question. The discussion thus seems pretty futile to me.

Judge her journalism on the qualities of her journalism. Judge her as a supporter on the quality of her support for RFC - and this is very separate to her public role as a journalist and I would argue is really her private life and not to be intruded on, unless she chooses to make it an issue in public.

Too sane by half for this thread Antman. ;D

Baloo said:
Or is it because they are male ?

How many times are we going to hear this stupid comment? Does Bartlett get his fair share of criticism when he opens his mouth? Does Brereton? I mean this 'female' thing is all a bit too precious for me. She's a journalist. She presents a view. She is open to criticism as much as anyone else.

Jason King said:
Its a revolving door Phar Ace ;) The same can be said in reverse. I tend to question journalists intentions, they rarely if ever try to help someone.

Nor is it even their job too.

The reverse you talk about is an interesting thing. An analogy:

A guy in a pub says to his mates, "just traded in my car at Slick Jason's Autos. Got $4500 for it cos they couldn't hear the rings rattling and pistons slapping - saw dust worked a treat mate" Everyone roundly congratulates the guy and is now a legend for the afternoon.

93 days later, the same guy goes back to Slick Jason's Autos complaining his $5000 car needs a complete overhaul because someone bodgied up the motor long enough to get past the 90 day warranty. The case is now before the court with the help of the Office of Fair Trading.

It's always interesting to witness who is the scoundrel and from whose perspective?

GoodOne said:
How many times are we going to hear this stupid comment? Does Bartlett get his fair share of criticism when he opens his mouth? Does Brereton? I mean this 'female' thing is all a bit too precious for me. She's a journalist. She presents a view. She is open to criticism as much as anyone else.

Agreed, but she seems to get an above average share on here from what I can tell - still not a fan of some of her writings, but anecdotally at least, reckon her gender gets in the way for some.

GoodOne said:

You just need to head over to BigFooty to see that whenever an anti-Caro thread pops up a lot of the insults are gender related. Certainly a greater portion of gender related insults than any male journalist.