Can Yze Coach? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Can Yze Coach?

Generally takes half a year to implement a game plan. This has been wrecked by injuries. For gods sake we have used over 40 players already for the year.

Who knows whether he can coach but until he gets a decent run with some players you cant really tell
If he gets a good run with the injuries we’ll be able to see if he can coach and has a game plan. Hard to implement something when dealing with a revolving door of injuries, and a few are long term.

We are the worst team in the comp. The kids are a massive worry but I think that's more due to a lack of talent and AFL traits than coaching.

I can't see a game plan or a style of play. Hopefully we see some signs of hope in 2026 after Toce nails a couple of good drafts.

Reactions: 1 user
Generally takes half a year to implement a game plan. This has been wrecked by injuries. For gods sake we have used over 40 players already for the year.

Who knows whether he can coach but until he gets a decent run with some players you cant really tell
Suggest you watch the game
Then suggest you listen to YZe regarding exciting game plans eg pre sesson
Those who are privy to monthly executive group coaches update all think he is clueless
Footy ain’t this hard
But to watch the trash we dished up yesterday and the previous week
We will finish bottom
It’s garbage !
Injuries, Prestia is finished as is Grimes
Pickett last year
Lynch is at the very end of his career and was injury prone with knee issues at the Suns .
The others besides Gibcus are hardly “ lock ins “ each week
Naismith , Ross , Clarke

Reactions: 1 users
Sort the wheat from the chaff.
Obtain draft pick barrier 1.
Leave no stone unturned.
Yep, he does appear to have a game plan, finish as low as possible. But then with all our injuries there aren't any others in the seconds who can do any better right now.

We are the worst team in the comp. The kids are a massive worry but I think that's more due to a lack of talent and AFL traits than coaching.

I can't see a game plan or a style of play. Hopefully we see some signs of hope in 2026 after Toce nails a couple of good drafts.
Most of our mids were late picks or crap picks so we should not be surprised they don't have the impact we'd like.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, he does appear to have a game plan, finish as low as possible. But then with all our injuries there aren't any others in the seconds who can do any better right now.

There is only one game plan for this year = finish as low as possible + use the draft picks we have to get as many high picks as possible. Need more quality or rather need quality.
Kicking down the line helps the opposition score from turnover. Working a treat as we must be #1 for allowing opposition scoring from TO

I was tempted to start a new thread called the "Rational Discussion Thread" but figured I'd post in here.

The last goal we kicked, by Rhyan, was our gameplan on full display. Yes it was late in the game and yes Carlton may have eased off but that was our "EKP" and "Control and Surge" drills on full display. My recollection is that it Miller, Brown, Banks, Rioli, Kosi and Nigel all involved. I stand to be corrected on who the actual players were and if I can bother/bear to watch a replay I'll call out who was involved in the chain.

From where I sat I could see us try that same approach about 10 times in the game. I reckon we executed it about twice, once for Rhyan's goal and once earlier in the game. We turned it over with poor kicks and smothered/blocked handballs at least 5 or 6 times and a couple of times ran into stoppages. So the plan is there the execution under gameday/pressure is not. Sadly a couple of times the pressure was self inflicted (i.e. we handpassed into a poor position) or rushed disposal when the pressure was not there. That's learning and poise that needs to be gained by experience (hopefully).

So if, and it's a big if but it is where we need to develop, we can execute more than 50% of those chains/surges we go from conceding 10 goals on turnover to far closer to the league average of 3 to 4 and we increase our scoring by 2 or 3 goals. That in yesterday's game reduces the Blues to somewhere in to 90's for points scored and get's us up into the 80's.

That to me is a combination of confidence, belief and trust in your teammates that is not quite there on gameday. Something I can understand when there is very limited consistency with the same playing group.

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Further to the previous post there were other issues that I'm pretty sure we could all see. At times our spacing and defensive covering/tracking was poor and the Blues easily found the spare/open man inside the forward 50. (Note: I recall us doing it twice, Sonsie and Hugo and I'm pretty sure that both passes came from Kane Mc. BTW: That spot up pass is a training drill as well.)

A side note it was interesting listening to Morro at the reserves and how vocal he was in getting Cumbo and Dow to provide defensive running. Dow showed some.

We actually held our own at stoppages and clearances for much of the game except for a period in the 2nd quarter and pretty much all of the 3rd. We did wrestle it back in the 2nd but as noted elsewhere the Cincotta tag of Taranto in the 3rd seemed to stop us getting back on a level footing. So to me we can setup and get the ball on our terms for periods but not for long enough and when we drop off it is precipitous and the opposition score freely. We didn't fall off as badly as against the Bulldogs or Brisbane but we still dropped off. To me there are noticeable times where we either go all in and or all wait and you can see the uncertainty and lack of confidence of knowing when to to go and when to hold width. Carlton did that well and we struggled. That I can see as the lack of connection/trust due to the limited amount of continuity. This is the facet of the gameplan that I'd like to see improve if we can keep continuity in the midfield group for the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Reactions: 15 users
All our injuries 🤔🤔🤔
Tell me who is out injured would be in our best 22 ?
Pickett retires at years end
Prestia will as well
Lynch doesn’t have much footy left him and unfortunately is injury prone
Jack Ross border line
Juddy Clarke. 50/50
Maurice Rioli 50/50
Gibcus will be a 200 game player but hasn’t played for 2 years now
Naismith huge mistake to draft
Dusty is gone unfortunately

Reactions: 2 users
Simple to many turn overs and skill errors by a few killing us game plan wise.
Game plan
Kicking down the line all day to a outnumber thus then being a turnover
You do know Carlton’s first 10 goals were from turnovers

Further to the previous post there were other issues that I'm pretty sure we could all see. At times our spacing and defensive covering/tracking was poor and the Blues easily found the spare/open man inside the forward 50. (Note: I recall us doing it twice, Sonsie and Hugo and I'm pretty sure that both passes came from Kane Mc. BTW: That spot up pass is a training drill as well.)

A side note it was interesting listening to Morro at the reserves and how vocal he was in getting Cumbo and Dow to provide defensive running. Dow showed some.

We actually held our own at stoppages and clearances for much of the game except for a period in the 2nd quarter and pretty much all of the 3rd. We did wrestle it back in the 2nd but as noted elsewhere the Cincotta tag of Taranto in the 3rd seemed to stop us getting back on a level footing. So to me we can setup and get the ball on our terms for periods but not for long enough and when we drop off it is precipitous and the opposition score freely. We didn't fall off as badly as against the Bulldogs or Brisbane but we still dropped off. To me there are noticeable times where we either go all in and or all wait and you can see the uncertainty and lack of confidence of knowing when to to go and when to hold width. Carlton did that well and we struggled. That I can see as the lack of connection/trust due to the limited amount of continuity. This is the facet of the gameplan that I'd like to see improve if we can keep continuity in the midfield group for the next 3 or 4 weeks.
Much prefer insights from someone who sees things on the training track and then on game day rather than someone who might attend monthly exec group coach briefings... Thanks HKT.

Reactions: 5 users
Game plan
Kicking down the line all day to a outnumber thus then being a turnover
You do know Carlton’s first 10 goals were from turnovers
You need to stop posting and proving to everybody that you know nothing about football.

Do you really think a team that has played almost every player on the senior list and has had zero continuity is going to master a brand new gameplan?

BTW genius, I'm still awaiting your response to my question. But I know you won't reply because you know NOTHING about football.

Last edited:
Simple to many turn overs and skill errors by a few killing us game plan wise.

Yep you always look like rubbish when you go to centre it at CHB and kick it to an opposition player who has left their man and is clearly going to chop it off.

what do people want?

clear as day we're carrying out a long term game plan / framework but lack the personnel to execute over four quarters.

Yze's vision is very much in development, a work in progress. list-wise he has had very little to work with and that is even before injuries.

folks need to remember that he walked into a list that was thoroughly entrenched in a certain style of play. more than that, some of the older heads would've been hard to budge as they have seen the ultimate success. massive, massive ask to turn that around.

head coach is tracking nicely IMO. With the bonus of having plenty of new toys to play with next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
what do people want?

clear as day we're carrying out a long term game plan / framework but lack the personnel to execute over four quarters.

Yze's vision is very much in development, a work in progress. list-wise he has had very little to work with and that is even before injuries.

folks need to remember that he walked into a list that was thoroughly entrenched in a certain style of play. more than that, some of the older heads would've been hard to budge as they have seen the ultimate success. massive, massive ask to turn that around.

Yze tracking nicely IMO. With the bonus of having plenty of new toys to play with next year.
While I agree with most of that, the last paragraph is contentious.

At this stage, he has a million excuses/reasons, which will play out. I've seen nothing to suggest he's done anything right yet.

As for what we want?

To be competitive.

To be able to celebrate a win every now and then.

To go to the footy thinking we're half a chance.

To not end up as North.

You can do all of that while you rebuild. This year has become a gimme. And that's okay.

Two bottom 2 finishes back to back would be disastrous for memberships, player retention, sponsorships, ticket sales, and me not being grumpy on the weekend.

Next year we will need to see some structure, brand, and 4 quarter competitiveness.

Reactions: 5 users
what do people want?

head coach is tracking nicely IMO. With the bonus of having plenty of new toys to play with next year.
Yep. If someone as bad as Cornhead also reckons Ooze needs 5 years, it must be good.

Great posts HK. How similar do you see the 2nds game plan to the 1sts? We look a lot better already in the 2nds.

Much prefer insights from someone who sees things on the training track and then on game day rather than someone who might attend monthly exec group coach briefings... Thanks HKT.
Nonsense. HKT's post lacks dummy spitting, player abuse, arrogance and faux insider knowledge. Poor IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Great posts HK. How similar do you see the 2nds game plan to the 1sts? We look a lot better already in the 2nds.
The 2nds have been amazing this year.

Even more injury impacted than the 1s. They have a clear system, whenever they can they stick to a clear forward structure, hit up targets and run with the ball. Always look likely to score. With a completely rotating roster.

Steve Morris used to really impress me with his leadership as a player, then captain on field in the VFL. I've never heard a bigger, more supportive voice echo all the way to the boundary line. He's taken that into his coaching too.

Every player who has stepped into that team has performed. Especially the non Richmond listed players.

Reactions: 6 users