Can Yze Coach? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Can Yze Coach?

Hardwick improved on the previous seasons wins every year for his first 4 years. Hardwick also had a better collection of young players to build a side around that Yze currently has when he started.

We’ll likely finish bottom four this year and are a strong chance to back that up again next year too. How many first time coaches can survive that kind of start to their careers?

I’m not advocating for sacking Yze, just pointing out how difficult his situation is and how much the odds are stacked against him. I really do wonder if he knew what he was getting into when he took the job.

Yeah, he's got a tough gig, that's for sure TF.

Reactions: 1 users
I had us finishing 14th before the injuries hit. Yze gets a free pass for this year, but improvement needs to be shown from ‘25 on.

Hardwick improved on the previous seasons wins every year for his first 4 years. Hardwick also had a better collection of young players to build a side around that Yze currently has when he started.

We’ll likely finish bottom four this year and are a strong chance to back that up again next year too. How many first time coaches can survive that kind of start to their careers?

I’m not advocating for sacking Yze, just pointing out how difficult his situation is and how much the odds are stacked against him. I really do wonder if he knew what he was getting into when he took the job.
He did start with a better young group but we also rebuilt right in the middle of the giants and suns start ups. Compromised drafts which we won’t have for at least a couple of years

We are also still a very attractive destination club which it wasn’t then

I wouldnt say that now.
We certainly are.

Any player watching the game on Saturday night would be thinking how great it would be to play at the MCG in front of the Tiger army.

We are a really strong club with a massive fan base having a temporary down. Players know that.

Reactions: 3 users
I think we need to learn from our history (both recent and not). Continually turning over coaches didn't work for 30 years. Sticking fat and being patient over 7 years did work.
Dimma had Cotchin, Martin, Rance , Edwards, Grimes, Riewoldt and Lids as youth. Lids eventually got moved on and still played in finals for GWS 😂. Apart from McAuliffe I don’t see the talent on our list that can take us to a flag in 7 years unless we offload Baker and Rioli for two firsts and a second round pick, JGTI for a late third which means zero, Short for a late second and delist a lot of dead wood for them. It’s the only way to move up faster , but we need to nail picks and we messed up in the Lids year and earlier so there are no guarantees. We at the same time can’t bring in established players for picks otherwise we’ll do a Lions, Hawthorn and even Demons. We aren’t ready for that yet. I’m really worried atm because Toce and the team really need to nail every player coming in and that’s almost impossible in the one draft so if we end up with a lot of picks is it wise to combine picks to get an earlier pick or to spread them over two years. As exciting as the end of the year is going to be it’s just as worrying in case we mess it up.
I hope we can get a CEO before all this happens as we seem to be currently up *smile* creek in a canoe without a paddle .

Reactions: 1 user

Agree Hardwick improved by the end of his first season. We could see light by the second half of his first season. He just had the better list of youth who were genuine A graders or higher.

I think (well, maybe hope) Richmond is a better club than it was when we went through coaches at a great rate. The current administration seems to be more than aware that the dynasty is over and it will take a while and a lot of hard work to get back to being a contender and will keep Yze on for a decent period. It is going to be tough and there are going to be rumblings about whether he is a decent coach. We need to give him a good chance as he has shown he has ability. We also need to make sure he has the support he needs in terms of assistants and all the other support staff. I'm sure the club would be assessing all of this as we rebuild.

After 5 years we can look and assess. We just need to make sure we look and assess taking into account the context of what players we have picked up and what progress we make.

DS

Willo didn't say that he'd significantly improved, just that he had. Those stats show that you were wrong.

I reckon he's got more improvement in him too.
He has 25% more time on ground for roughly 25% more stats.

Less games as sub or fitter but improvement is very minor on a per time on ground basis.

Pretty easy for Yze to improve number of wins what with starting off a low number in 2024.

As for quality that is what this year's draft is for backed up next year

Just need to chill out on the number of wins this year and concentrate on seeing if the kids are worth keeping longer term. Then getting that quality into the list

Reactions: 4 users
2 wins 13 losses. Didn’t think we’d be this bad this quickly. He’ll get a pass this year due to circumstances beyond his control.
But still… we look shithouse

Dunno if he can coach or not, but I reckon we're still trying to play Dimmas old game plan with a mob of half capacity players and it sure as *smile* ain't working.

Again bloody hard to judge with the injury list he’s had .

Couple of queries, kick ins , so predictable to set up to , short kick to right back pocket , long down the wing . Shorty did try one up the guts but didn’t execute the kick .

Balta forward seems the only “ reinventing “ of a player and that’s been tried before .

Cubs , not much jumping up playing out of their skins .

We seem to be sucked to the player with the ball a lot , allowing the player second in the chain to be able to create space from the contest with no pressure

Massive summer ahead

Reactions: 2 users
After watching live yesterday
I maintain my opinion
Cannot coach
The team refuses to kick around opposition zones
Count how many times we kicked the ball down the line
Then watch what Carlton do
Kicked across the ground and went inside on a different angle giving there forwards great opportunity
Keep in mind we have some great kicks in the back half in Rioli and Short who continually kick down the line
Can’t blame injuries because of those injured are nearly finished anyway
Lynch , Prestia , Pickett .Grimes . Naismith
Dusty is gone unfortunately
YZE hasn’t got the players onboard
Players actually gave up chasing in the 3rd quarter
Am sick of guys “ sagging “ off there opponents
Internally the club think they can bounce back next year
What I am seen this year with “ new game plan “ . I don’t think so
Anyone seen the Camels ??

Reactions: 5 users
Again bloody hard to judge with the injury list he’s had .

Couple of queries, kick ins , so predictable to set up to , short kick to right back pocket , long down the wing . Shorty did try one up the guts but didn’t execute the kick .

Balta forward seems the only “ reinventing “ of a player and that’s been tried before .

Cubs , not much jumping up playing out of their skins .

We seem to be sucked to the player with the ball a lot , allowing the player second in the chain to be able to create space from the contest with no pressure

Massive summer ahead
Cubs . How many nominated for Rising Star nomination? Usually a good sign if your club has 2 or 3 in season
Apart from Browm , we have nothing close to a nomination

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Not looking good for Adem. Can’t blame injuries. Game plan is non existent.
There isn’t a game plan
That the problem
Kicking down the line to a contest ain’t a game plan
We don’t play on at all costs
We don’t try and cut through the corridor
We don’t take risks
We play suburban footy
Maybe he is a suburban coach
Crazy stuff

Generally takes half a year to implement a game plan. This has been wrecked by injuries. For gods sake we have used over 40 players already for the year.

Who knows whether he can coach but until he gets a decent run with some players you cant really tell

Despite flooding the backline we still got done by 10 goals.
We are worse then North