Can Yze Coach? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Can Yze Coach?

He has time. He has given us very little yet. No one's really expecting to see anything for the rest of the year, so it's a free hit.
Your contribution to this ridiculous thread tells me you have gone to the shed to get the pitchfork.

Either embrace sanity or join Stig and his mob

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Love this.

Do you adjust the plan to meet the standard or play the long game and keep the standard.

We bemoan our skill off half back and turnovers and loopy kicks that get picked off. Seeing that your skill isn’t good enough provides massive feedback you neee to improve that skill or your spot is in jeopardy in the medium turn.

The training reports seem to back up that this is the standard being expected.

I get both arguments but you need to take a view on what will stand up under finals pressure and go for that view.

Short term we have some senior players not pulling their weight for form/injury/mental application which is a separate issue. Ones like broad, mcintosh and Tarranto aren’t in this camp.

Precisely Roar.

At the end of the day I don’t see much need for endless analysis of why we are where we are.

We have very few stars anymore.

Even the likes of Vlastuin and Broad are no longer stars. Due to age, contentment, whatever, they cannot maintain their previous standards week to week and therefore cannot be considered stars.

Our list is probably bottom three for pure talent (St Kilda is arguably below us)

Your contribution to this ridiculous thread tells me you have gone to the shed to get the pitchfork.

Either embrace sanity or join Stig and his mob.

Embrace the Carter doctrine.

All other ways lie insanity.

We will accept no discussion which contravenes dogma.

So it is written.

Reactions: 1 users
I had us finishing 14th before the injuries hit. Yze gets a free pass for this year, but improvement needs to be shown from ‘25 on.
Could be later depending on injuries and maturity of our draft picks.
Yep you always look like rubbish when you go to centre it at CHB and kick it to an opposition player who has left their man and is clearly going to chop it off.
And one player stubbed his toe trying to execute a footpass! :LOL:

I guess supporters need something to talk about.

The team is obviously struggling with lack of continuity and personnel.

I have been to 7-8 games live this year and seen some big losses. I am constantly amazed when I read how some posters have seen a game when they watch it on TV compared with seeing it live.

Anyway the take I have had over the last two games is that the biggest issue is disposal. In both games we were well in it in general play for long periods, our opposition hit targets and we didn’t. We didn’t get value for effort and that can be demoralising.

The hawks game we were in it for long periods but got little scoreboard reward. We stayed with Carlton for a long period on Sunday through a massive effort in contested possession, but we spent too much petrol doing it. In 5 minutes the game was gone, demoralising.

Forget the scoreboard and watch the general play. We don’t get reward for effort because we don’t hit targets and when that effort wains for a period it’s game over. In the last 2 weeks we have played 2 sides I would say or number 2-3 in the AFL over the last 6-7 weeks. In general play there is no way they were 8-10 goal games, but when a team doesn’t convert effort into scores that’s what happens.

Recruiting is the key. Game plan and finishing will come with quality and continuity. We need at least 2 high quality mids who have elite kicking skills. We need another key forward but also we need 2 medium/small forwards who can hit the scoreboard.

A debate about whether Yze can coach or not is hot air imo. Our number one priority has to be to improve our cattle and with it improve our skill level and ability to convert effort into scoring. Then we can truly judge the coach

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users

I have been to 7-8 games live this year and seen some big losses. I am constantly amazed when I read how some posters have seen a game when they watch it on TV compared with seeing it live.

Anyway the take I have had over the last two games is that the biggest issue is disposal. In both games we were well on it in general play for long periods, our opposition hit targets and we didn’t. We didn’t get value for effort and that can be demoralising.

The hawks game we were in it for long periods but got little scoreboard reward. We stayed with Carlton for a long period on Sunday through a massive effort in contested possession, but we spent too much petrol doing it. In 5 minutes the game was gone, demoralising.

Forget the scoreboard and watch the general play. We don’t get reward for effort because we don’t hit targets and when that effort wains for a period it’s game over. In the last 2 weeks we have played 2 sides I would say or number 2-3 in the AFL over the last 6-7 weeks. In general play there is no way they were 8-10 goal games, but when a team doesn’t convert effort into scores that’s what happens.

Recruiting is the key. Game plan and finishing will come with quality and continuity. We need at least 2 high quality mids who have elite kicking skills. We need another key forward but also we need 2 medium/small forwards who can hit the scoreboard.

A debate about whether Yze can coach or not is hot air imo. Our number one priority has to be to improve our cattle and with it improve our skill level and ability to convert effort into scoring. Then we can truly judge the coach
Well said. The other obvious thing is the lack of connection. Because of the number of newer players and constant changes to the line up there is a clear lack of connection. We’re not predictable to one another anymore.

Reactions: 6 users

Anyway the take I have had over the last two games is that the biggest issue is disposal. In both games we were well on it in general play for long periods, our opposition hit targets and we didn’t. We didn’t get value for effort and that can be demoralising.

You're right about being there compared to watching it on TV, however the not hitting targets are obvious via TV and my major groan every time I see it. As for playing teams when in-form such as Cartoon and Dorks, get ready for another one, Freo, next week in WA. GWS will also beat Cartoon and we meet them next. We've seriously walked under 20 ladders this season.....

You're right about being there compared to watching it on TV, however the not hitting targets are obvious via TV and my major groan every time I see it. As for playing teams when in-form such as Cartoon and Dorks, get ready for another one, Freo, next week in WA. GWS will also beat Cartoon and we meet them next. We've seriously walked under 20 ladders this season.....
It's the effort bit that is hard on TV. You see nothing off the ball, the amount players run to be with opponents and to close down space. There is also a depth perception issue where it can look like someone doesn't try and tackle but in reality they are out of reach as an example.
I've watched boundary throw ins as another example from up close and see players labelled as soft getting hit hard in contests.
You are right about Freo but it is a pity we haven't played the giants at the MCG is the last 4-6 weeks because they aren't playing well. We have a tough run over the next month.

Reactions: 4 users
Give you a tip
We are the only team this year not to kick 100 points or more
Gameplan is terrible ( if there is one )
We fail miserably to maintain ball inside F50 and we simply don’t press high enough
Then when opposition win ball back
Onballers especially don’t fold back quick enough to support the defenders
Simply not good enough
Dow huge culprit thus got dropped last week and should play VFL for remainder of year
Give you a tip
I've seen the gameplan and had it explained.
I understand how the drills support the gameplan.
I've had it explained as to what they're trying to teach the kids and what expectations are being set.

I can comprehend the issues.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Give you a tip
I've seen the gameplan and had it explained.
I understand how the drills support the gameplan.
I've had it explained as to what they're trying to teach the kids and what expectations are being set.

I can comprehend the issues.
Twig's only interested in the camels. Probably doesn't realise they're dummies.

Twig's only interested in the camels. Probably doesn't realise they're dummies.
For the mathematicians/ statisticians amongst us I would like someone to work out the correlation coefficient of the volume of posts by Stig and the team performing badly.
Would be getting close to 1 imo

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Yze has three years so he will get time. Lets hope he turns it around.

There are concerns though. The ball movement is horrible at the moment. The players seem confused as to what the system is. There is also a lack of effort and two way running.
I am not writing him off but the team is in really bad shape at the moment. I didn't think we would be this bad this quickly. We haven't been this bad since 2007.

It's the effort bit that is hard on TV. You see nothing off the ball, the amount players run to be with opponents and to close down space. There is also a depth perception issue where it can look like someone doesn't try and tackle but in reality they are out of reach as an example.
I've watched boundary throw ins as another example from up close and see players labelled as soft getting hit hard in contests.
You are right about Freo but it is a pity we haven't played the giants at the MCG is the last 4-6 weeks because they aren't playing well. We have a tough run over the next month.
Yeah, ive been restricted to TV viewing lately, and it makes it impossible to see what is happening more than 5 mtrs off the ball most of the time.

The other thing i hate is when people say player x couldnt even keep up with player y- someone mentioned Graham couldnt follow Cripps at one point- while across a game or season patterns can be seen, in isolation it ignores what has happened in the preceeding minutes- on the instance above Cripps might have been walking around for a couple of minutes, or come straight off the bench, while Graham could have just run flat out for 400 mtrs. before trying to go again.

Reactions: 4 users
Can club tell him to stop the nervous right knee reach down and scratch after every question he is asked during presser. Child like.
The game plan injuries or no injuries is shiit.
We don't know to either go fast or slow.
We never go down the centre when we can and our kick ins might be the worse in the comp.
Im giving him a pass this year but his game plan is for talls that can mark and mark in contests.
If this shiit continues next year, what's Quack Quack up to these days???

Yze has three years so he will get time. Lets hope he turns it around.

There are concerns though. The ball movement is horrible at the moment. The players seem confused as to what the system is. There is also a lack of effort and two way running.
I am not writing him off but the team is in really bad shape at the moment. I didn't think we would be this bad this quickly. We haven't been this bad since 2007.
There is definitely a connection piece Dev. I've seen numerous times this year the team trying really hard to move the ball quickly and you can see there is a moment's hesitation because the player is not there or hasn't anticipated well enough. In good well drilled teams it is seamless.
I think back on the hawks of 2 years ago. Their ball movement was horrible , turnovers galore. Last year it was a mixture of horrible and very good and lots in between. Early this year it was the same and now it has clicked. It takes time and our players are not instinctive with each other and there is too little movement at times, we become very static.
We try to move the ball and you can see that with each handpass the player is under more and more pressure and a turnover is inevitable. That's timing and playing with each other partly but it is also talent.
We need talent but we also need time.

Reactions: 5 users
The game plan injuries or no injuries is shiit.
We don't know to either go fast or slow.
We never go down the centre when we can and our kick ins might be the worse in the comp.
Im giving him a pass this year but his game plan is for talls that can mark and mark in contests.
If this shiit continues next year, what's Quack Quack up to these days???
To be fair blooding kids (apprentices) will have its ebbs and troughs.My beef is with the senior players that clearly have put themselves up on a pedestal(Bolton is one) and failing to teach good habits to the newbies.Given the record number played this year getting any sort of continuity certainly has been difficult and many would be overawed playing with their heroes.This also leads to hesitation in not wanting to make mistakes and upsetting those heroes.So we have the perfect storm,lack of experience,and tired,sated experience.Having said that I bemoan the fact of the poor marking and kicking abilities of some of our younger brigade.Is it because the recruiting staff are just looking for the physical elements and overlooking the basic football elements?