Andrew Browne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Browne

Tigers of Old said:
Ok, I thought he was controversially re-signed for two at the end of last season. Hope I'm wrong.

Starting rucks none but there's a few without a lot of depth. Still you won't get me defending him.

I'd definitely be looking for a ruckman who can go forward but I hope we already have one in TV who should be better after another season..
Personally wouldn't be spending big in that area and think we need a key forward more pressingly.

Yeah agree.

Leysy would delist Gus, keep Browne on as backup/development & draft a young ruck late on.

We'd have Maric, Browne, Vickery (who will transition into the ruck in time) plus one junior.

Thats a decent spread.

Leysy Days said:
Yeah agree.

Leysy would delist Gus, keep Browne on as backup/development & draft a young ruck late on.

We'd have Maric, Browne, Vickery (who will transition into the ruck in time) plus one junior.

Thats a decent spread.

Tottie would do the same, except that he would put a young ruckman on the rookie list every year. Developing and selling ruckmen to other clubs should be part of our long-term business strategy. It beats buying them.

Dunno about every year. It often takes until they're 23 or more before rucks are worth anything in trade, so as well as having your starting ruck you'd have 5 or more developing rucks as well. That's a couple too many.

We'd want to make sure we know how to develop young rucks before we turn into a Ruck Nursery

Disco08 said:
And Bo Derrickx.

Deliberately didn't put him in due to him being groomed as a forward. On shaky ground in any case you'd think.

Disco08 said:
Dunno about every year. It often takes until they're 23 or more before rucks are worth anything in trade, so as well as having your starting ruck you'd have 5 or more developing rucks as well. That's a couple too many.

Agree with that. In an era of only one true ruck playing per side taking one of these types a year is too many ILO.

Which brings leysy to another point. Trading rucks has had very good currency in the past, but because of the above demand will be lower & currency will drop in coming years. Elite ruckman excepted of course.

the thing i find interesting is that if he wasn't on an AFL list currently, everybody would be falling over themselves to sign him up based on his VFL form so far.

Leysy Days said:
Which brings leysy to another point. Trading rucks has had very good currency in the past, but because of the above demand will be lower & currency will drop in coming years. Elite ruckman excepted of course.

You took the words out of my mouth, or off my keyboard. The elite ruck man who can play forward tend to get drafted anyway. In recent years it's the old school Bellchambers/ Browne types that are around at the PSD and rookie drafts.

Doolz85 said:
the thing i find interesting is that if he wasn't on an AFL list currently, everybody would be falling over themselves to sign him up based on his VFL form so far.

I think that's a fair call too.

Doolz85 said:

I assume you are talking about Gus?

Nah, that type of VFL form is only meaningful if the player isn't on an AFL list.

Long way to go with Browne. Big upside. Better tap ruckman then Graham and more willing to use his bulk to advantage.

The Mumford development has changed how quickly rucks can come on.

Gus’s goose is cooked. He is gone at years end.

Bit confused by the Mumford statement SCOOP. Are you saying his late development means other rucks should be given more time?

Disco08 said:
Bit confused by the Mumford statement SCOOP.

Me too. I read the implication as being Mumford came on quick, therefore all rucks can come on quick.

As for 'gone at years end' bit, who knows? Seems to me he's being allowed to get consistency and learn the trade in the seconds like the old days. And he seems to be responding well to that, I'm only going on Coburg match reports though.

Disco08 said:
Bit confused by the Mumford statement SCOOP. Are you saying his late development means other rucks should be given more time?

Sort of. They need to have shown the ability to compete at the elite level and have some physical impact at the contest. I think he has shown enough to keep working with. And he can stay on the park. You do have to wait for talls.

Mummy went from showing a little bit at Geelong that suggested that he could be a first ruck and in 12 months time he was one of the best four or five in the comp.

He didn't show much at Geelong though did he? They gave him plenty of opportunity but his output was really poor both in terms of hitouts and involvement around the ground. His first year at Sydney was a big improvement but his second year (2011) was his real breakout. He was 25 when that improvement occured, the same age Graham just turned.

It's funny we're writing off Graham (me included pretty much) but he showed as much in the AFL last year as Mumford did when he was 24. Graham's also now showing great form in dominating at state league level.

Everyone knows rucking isn't easy.
Everyone knows rucks take time.
Why then, is everyone writing off Gus when he's starting to get form and consistency at Coburg?

Haters. The worlds full of them.

The Gus Bus is just getting out of second gear.

Browne needs to get big and ripped. He is too lean at the moment. For him to dominate taps he needs to get a very good rig and just improve his mobility. Sandilands is obviously a massive giant and wins every hitout.

Baloo said:
Haters. The worlds full of them.

The Gus Bus is just getting out of second gear.

yeah moving back down to first lol id rather browne anyday he's not afraid always trying wish we would just play with 2 rucks so we can give them a couple of games each to see were they are at the coburg games i have seen they have improved im putting it down to having Maric at the club