Andrew Browne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Browne

tigerrookie1 said:
Browne needs to get big and ripped. He is too lean at the moment. For him to dominate taps he needs to get a very good rig and just improve his mobility. Sandilands is obviously a massive giant and wins every hitout.

Yeah the Coburg highlights I've seen Browney is looking skinny

Disco08 said:
He didn't show much at Geelong though did he? They gave him plenty of opportunity but his output was really poor both in terms of hitouts and involvement around the ground. His first year at Sydney was a big improvement but his second year (2011) was his real breakout. He was 25 when that improvement occured, the same age Graham just turned.

It's funny we're writing off Graham (me included pretty much) but he showed as much in the AFL last year as Mumford did when he was 24. Graham's also now showing great form in dominating at state league level.

Didnt show much? Poor output?

He must have showed something for Sydney to offer him a 1 million dollar contract & trade pick 28 for him.

Lets see what Gus fetches in comparison come end of year.

Leysy Days said:

He must have showed something for Sydney to offer him a 1 million dollar contract & trade pick 28 for him.

Lets see what Gus fetches in comparison come end of year.

Sydney have an excellent eye for developing talent, they can spot a bargain a mile away.

Leysy Days said:

Yep he actually showed a lot in his final year at Geelong, but Geelong couldn't keep him because they had whatshisname contracted for the following year. IIRC he was always competitive he just struggled to get fit, he got fit in his final year at Geelong (when he was 23 I guess) and started to show what he could do.

14 hitouts and 12 touches a game, over 17 games. As Bullus says, Sydney can pick them. If Geelong had any inkling that he'd become as good as he has they would never have considered trading him, would they? Also, a $1M contract over 4 years isn't huge money, is it? Geelong could have matched that had they so desired. And 28 seems about right given the price rucks fetch generally.

Doolz85 said:
the thing i find interesting is that if he wasn't on an AFL list currently, everybody would be falling over themselves to sign him up based on his VFL form so far.

If he was playing to his current standard without ever having been in the AFL system, yes. With this standard as his ceiling, probably not.

No reason Graham can't improve quite dramatically given the Mumford example pointed out by SCOOP.

Disco08 said:
14 hitouts and 12 touches a game, over 17 games. As Bullus says, Sydney can pick them. If Geelong had any inkling that he'd become as good as he has they would never have considered trading him, would they? Also, a $1M contract over 4 years isn't huge money, is it? Geelong could have matched that had they so desired. And 28 seems about right given the price rucks fetch generally.
14 HO & 12 possies a game isnt too bad for a ruck playing second fiddle.
Geelong didnt trade him because they didn't rate him they had bugger all say in the matter, the big Mummy was poached by the swans.

Disco08 said:
No reason Graham can't improve quite dramatically given the Mumford example pointed out by SCOOP.

It would be fantastic for the club if Graham improved to a Mumford standard, but it would be highly unlikely in my opinion.

In fact I would say there are a lot of reasons why he won't.

As others have posted, Mumford had fitness and injury issues. On the plus side though he always had fantastic strength and agility, as well as a combative approach to the ruck.
Mumford became elite because he some elite attributes.

Even Graham's most ardent fans would struggle to pick out anything in his kit bag that is even remotely elite.

So while I agree that talls and ruck men need extra time to develop, they also need to show some glimpses that they are on the right track. IMO Graham hasn't done anything of the sort.

Yeah maybe. He's had some pretty good games for a ruckman of his age and experience. If he developed Mumford's strength and "combative approach" he'd be a completely different player. Could happen but I agree it seems very unlikely.

Uncle said:
14 HO & 12 possies a game isnt too bad for a ruck playing second fiddle.
Geelong didnt trade him because they didn't rate him they had bugger all say in the matter, the big Mummy was poached by the swans.

If Geelong had offered the same money (not a fortune) as the Swans were he would have stayed. At least that's what Balme intimated at the time.

Good point about him playing second fiddle to Blake most of the year too. That definitely makes those stats better. It also shows the esteem Geelong held him in at the time.

Disco08 said:
If Geelong had offered the same money (not a fortune) as the Swans were he would have stayed. At least that's what Balme intimated at the time.
I'm pretty sure he didn't leave for a little extra cashy Disco,the big Mummy was a rookie lets not forget & I think the real lure was a spot on the main list with greater opportunity.

Yeah, no doubt. Again, that points to the (lack of) value Geelong saw in him at the time.

At the time Geelong wanted to keep him, they just couldn't match Sydney's offer.

As for his stats in his final year at Geelong well they don't read as elite but I remember the commentary on him at the time and there were a lot of wraps on him.

Disco08 said:

Yes there are actually. Graham V Mumford is a laughable comparison to make.

But if there is no reason as you say (surely some clubs will see that as well) it will be interesting to see what interest Graham attracts come end of year. 4 year deal coming up?

Disco08 said:
Sydney's offer was $1M over 4 years. They didn't want to keep him that much.

Over $250K a year for a rookie listed ruckman is a lot of unplanned money on your salary cap at the end of year when you have Geelongs list. They would have been rightly bulging.

They were blindsided at the end of season & as Balme said at the time simply couldnt match it, so wanting to keep him had very little bearing on the matter.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/geelongs-shane-mumford-agrees-to-million-dollar-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1225784337156

josey said:
Even Graham's most ardent fans would struggle to pick out anything in his kit bag that is even remotely elite.

I agree that Gus has shown very few elite skills over the last few years.

But I do remember being at Punt Road when they had an open day and Gus had just been signed. He looked very mobile and agile and also reasonably good kicking skills. At one stage they ran a series of sprint laps and Gus was in a group that included Richo. By the time they were finishing Richo was giving it everything to beat this new rookie over the line. Wonder if others remember this?

The Swans are always prepared to give up something of value to get players. Mumford was a rookie-listed player and they gave up a second round draft pick, number 28, without too much argument. By contrast, a year or so later, St Kilda and Collingwood haggled over pick 30 for Luke Ball and he had been a Captain at St Kilda.

Geelong were well-looked after in that deal.

Nonetheless, I hope Angus remains a dominant force in the VFL for the next 3 or 4 months.