2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

I neglected to do this, but the other info I got on Sunday:

* club has pulled the trigger on strategy to do a conventional rebuild. They had hoped that they'd be able to compete in finals with fit & healthy list - a last roll of the dice. We've subsequently moved on (I can't say how long ago the club did that, just that it's done)
* Players are going to be told of their futures starting in August. (We've heard hints about this via Yze in media). Some anxiety amongst those on fringes (see below)
* Dylan Grimes is stuffed completely. Was in a position where he wasn't able to move physically after a game. They'd do some work on him to help get him moving post match, but was one of the last to leave the ground. The club obviously love him and wanted to do something special for a farewell, but highly doubtful he'll be capable. Might just be a drive around the G to say farewell if he's healthy enough. Retirement will be announced later if they can't get his body to respond for a farewell.
* Baker, still no clearer on his future. He's torn. Everyone knows he is. Yze doing well apparently to help him manage his emotions and maintain focus. Reminding him he's a premiership player, and all he owes us is a good week on the track and out on the ground each week. Commit to the now, etc.
* Some vocal players challenging others to get out of their numbness/comfort zone and accept where the club is at and fight out the season, rather than let it slip by. Those vocal players in group are confident we don't need the no. 1 pick to bounce back and that we have lots of talent. Some folks need to lift their off field standards to meet their potential, so pushing them.
would it hurt the club to mention any of this?

Maybe they could take out a full page ad in the papers n let everyone know what they had for breakfast, when their last bowel movement was n who they were hoping to get some nookie with over the weekend.
Internal company management procedures are just that, internal. Everyone knows that they are doing running their business stuff, just like every other club in the competition. Nobody gives out a daily running sheet of what they are about to do.

Reactions: 3 users
if mentioned too soon before end of season it can raise the tanking debate
Yze was in his last playing year when Melb. went thru that
once the media fastens onto to something they wont let go , Dusty anyone
the media focus on Melb. tanking to get a priority pick was huge
I initially dismissed it as media rubbish but after going to a Swans Dees match at Manuka I believed it
and I reckon it ruined their culture and some still lingers there today

by the sound of it there is a core of players with a positive attitude , long may that continue

it could be 8 + weeks before us mugs get a better picture

in the mean time I'll watch the VFL and hope they can help the club sort thru the bottom end of our list

and I'll listen to the AFL and hope I hear promising stuff for our younger brigade (Tresize, Banks, Geen , Smith , Seth , Hugo , Brown Sonsie , Bauer )

oh and I hope for a good ending , what ever that can be for Dylan , when we were at our top his goal line saves really did keep us in crucial games

Reactions: 2 users
if mentioned too soon before end of season it can raise the tanking debate
Yze was in his last playing year when Melb. went thru that
once the media fastens onto to something they wont let go , Dusty anyone
the media focus on Melb. tanking to get a priority pick was huge
I initially dismissed it as media rubbish but after going to a Swans Dees match at Manuka I believed it
and I reckon it ruined their culture and some still lingers there today

by the sound of it there is a core of players with a positive attitude , long may that continue

it could be 8 + weeks before us mugs get a better picture

in the mean time I'll watch the VFL and hope they can help the club sort thru the bottom end of our list

and I'll listen to the AFL and hope I hear promising stuff for our younger brigade (Tresize, Banks, Geen , Smith , Seth , Hugo , Brown Sonsie , Bauer )

oh and I hope for a good ending , what ever that can be for Dylan , when we were at our top his goal line saves really did keep us in crucial games
fair enough, from memory when Melbn were examined the findings were far more explicit than what The General outlined. Perhaps my take from it isn't the norm, that being the players have lost motivation due to climbing the mountain on many occasions, getting longer in the tooth and with a younger incoming list only worsens the incentive for those used to winning, not that they are deliberately losing in order to achieve on field success in future seasons.

I'm sure there is many clubs in the past that have been open about being in a rebuild, I personally cant see how that can be seen as outright tanking. It's a common strategy that is the only conceivable way for clubs to climb back up the ladder.

This becomes the most important part of what the club does post 2024 season.

Retirements and players asking for trades might well account for 3/4 leaving the Tigers.

The Hardwick legacy of influencing drafts post 2020 with his belief he could manufacture a team for one last premiership tilt was misguided and delusional - leaving a collection of players that are not AFL fit and are getting games because of an injury list that runs very deep.

I would hope that several are delisted or traded.

I hope, but I am not convinced that the current FD and recruiters will look at established footballers of AFL quality and physical build who are not getting a regular run in their current sides, become part of the recruiting process and are hand picked to wear the Tiger jumper and train and play hard , uncompromised footy.

Draft picks alone are not and have never been enough. Keep some cream and expect them to have an impact asap - but the Tigers need to look far and wide for footballers that are built for the game and give 120% every game.

Against Collingwood today I see a football rabble with at least 40% of the side that needs replacing.

That clean slate will be a good thing for the coaches.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a *smile* list. Here's a better one:
Jaxon Binns
Jacob Konstanty
Alex Davies
Brandon Parfitt
Comor Nash (doubt he leaves Hawks but agree with @Scoop we should shake the tree)
Isaac Keeler
Olli Hotton
Coby Burgiel

All bar Binns out of contract. Parfitt and Nash UFAs.
Some interesting names there, but a no to Parfitt.

Several years in the system and still meh. Even as a UFA. The fact that the Cats haven't offered a contract speaks volumes.

Reactions: 1 users
Grimes Prestia Naismith Coulthard Dow
McIntosh Graham Cumberland Sony Colina
Pickett
Delisted 11.
Graham won't get us a pick.

Offer Ross a new Deal. Winger 2025

Scary, the names above currently make a qtr of our list
Not scary at all. Just realistic. The club needs to make a call on many players on the list and many need to be delisted, and traded while several will retire.

A fresh start is just that - a fresh start. While injuries have devastated the season it has exposed the short comings of many on the Tigers list.

The Hardwick legacy needs to be swept away (and it didn’t take him as long to see the writing on the wall of our current list!), and replaced with a collection of new players from the draft and from other clubs.

Mitchell did it at Hawthorn and the results are plain for all to see!

Anyone who remembers this please jump in and correct or add to it
When Terry Wallace first arrived he was very guarded about saying a "rebuild"
adding something like - it takes away the hope of the senior players and they wither don't play well or look to go elsewhere
the crowds drop away because they get sick of seeing team thrashed
and that in turn affects sponrsors ... club bottom line etc and that impacts the ability to recruit high quality players
He was saying things along the lines you have to have a foot in both camps - rebuild with youth and recruit experienced players

Part of that for us was to get Graham from the Hawks , he only played the 1 year and retired , but did feel he was really good for us

While the Hawks look like they are bouncing back , its not uncommon for clubs to crash and crash hard
North - in a real hole , must have geniue junior talent going thru their list , but without good senior players setting standards and driving winning culture
we went there in 80's/90's , 2000's
Carlton took a look while to climb back
Essendon climbing back after the drugs scandal
Gold coast - clubs like us keep pinching their talent :)

I know Terry was a divisive figure but do think there is a lot of merit in what he was saying back then
and we will need the likes of Taranto , Hopper , Vlastuin, D Rioli , Lynch , maybe Baker and Nank (and maybe Dusty) to be those drivers of standards and culture in 25/26

what happens over the next 12 weeks will define our next decade , and while thats true of every year , its on steriods this year
with the decline of older players , the not coming on of younger players and the pick hand we have and the rumour mill on possible player movement
there will be a lot of movement

I just hope we can hold it together and limp to the seasons end

The VFL make finals and this gives us the ability to assess fringe AFL listed players and promising VFL listed players in a more intense environment than the average VFL game

and our back room guys can work some magic with pick trading and for who ever leaves , get the best compo we can

Go Tiges

Reactions: 6 users
Grimes Prestia Naismith Coulthard Dow
McIntosh Graham Cumberland Sony Colina
Pickett
Delisted 11.
Graham won't get us a pick.

Offer Ross a new Deal. Winger 2025
Would add Bolton & Baker to Fremantle for 3 1st rounders.
We need to cut the rope

Reactions: 1 user
I hope, but I am not convinced that the current FD and recruiters will look at established footballers of AFL quality and physical build who are not getting a regular run in their current sides
Agreed. If we can get, on average, 2 reasonably priced players per year a bit like Broad, Pickett, Lambert, Nank, Caddy from other clubs or from state leagues, and do that over 5 years ... and get 1 elite youngster per year for 5 years via the draft ... and trade/draft a few expensive established players (like we got Prestia and Lynch - did we pay overs for them?) ... then that's a solid foundation for a great 2030 squad that should be thereabouts for a few years.

Last edited:
We need to cut the rope

A lot of people have thrown this out, trade Bolton and Rioli along with Baker (who I think is gone), but can anyone point me towards a team that has fallen to the bottom of the ladder, traded all their best players (in mid 20's not 30's) and that has rebounded quickly?

Reactions: 7 users
We need to cut the rope
We would want more then 3 first rounders if Bolts left with Baker .. considering we gave 4 for tim and hooper.
Baker will go i reckon shoul dgeta first rounder and maybe a second rounder

A lot of people have thrown this out, trade Bolton and Rioli along with Baker (who I think is gone), but can anyone point me towards a team that has fallen to the bottom of the ladder, traded all their best players (in mid 20's not 30's) and that has rebounded quickly?
Fair point but I’d argue no club has rebounded quickly from the type of rebuild we face. 5-7 years seems to be about the norm and that’s if you get it right.

I’d keep Rioli.

Baker only if he wanted to go and we hopefully got a got deal in return.
Bolton, if we got 2 x first rounders, I’d be quite happy for to go. Unless he had a big change in attitude. Icing on top player atm, needs to get down and dirty. And kick those *smile* goals.
Lazy when he wants to be. Chases when he wants to chase. Works when he wants to. No more compromises.

Not without changing some coaches in between...wonder if Yze likes the sound of that....career suicide. I'd suggest the Hawks have rebounded quickly with that model....haven't made finals yet, nor won anything. But they aren't crap anymore.
Gold Coast? Same as the above

I agree Mr Posh, we have to keep a core group of players in their 20s, and probably 2-3 30yo as well.

We don't have to, nor should we want to, rebuild a list in one draft/off season.

Not without changing some coaches in between...wonder if Yze likes the sound of that....career suicide. I'd suggest the Hawks have rebounded quickly with that model....haven't made finals yet, nor won anything. But they aren't crap anymore.
Gold Coast? Same as the above

I agree Mr Posh, we have to keep a core group of players in their 20s, and probably 2-3 30yo as well.

We don't have to, nor should we want to, rebuild a list in one draft/off season.

The Hawks didn't trade their mid 20's players though. They traded their over 30's and probably paid the penalty in early years, but there is still merit in what they did, as it forced them to blood youngsters but they weren't trading their best players in the 25-27 year old bracket. I actually don't remember anyone that has followed that path.

To me its a nuclear option. Its weird, you go through so many drafts trying to find players with the x-factor of a Shai for example, and heaps want to get rid of him.

Reactions: 5 users
We would want more then 3 first rounders if Bolts left with Baker .. considering we gave 4 for tim and hooper.
Baker will go i reckon shoul dgeta first rounder and maybe a second rounder

We didn't give 4 1sts for Tim and Hopper though. Nice how chinese whispers always makes things sound worse than it is.

Last edited:
Hawthorn supporters were going to the footy three years ago knowing exactly what the club was doing and happily did so knowing that one day soon they would win 11 straight and be a finals contender.

Mitchell is smart, challenging and single-minded. The benevolent dictator.

The draft is the only answer and we have a small window to use it.

Short term pain, but purpose and unity with classy kids. Tiger supporters will go to the footy watching the next generation of Reiwoldt, Cotchin, Martin and Rance lead the way.

It can happen very quickly with quality kids.

Reactions: 4 users