2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

Agree with above.
Add 5 or 6 or so quality drafts.. this year ..and 2 more next year.
Definitely no just average throw aways from other clubs...we did that for 30 years...only take in quality..or not at all.

Reactions: 1 user
We could cut trade delist 30 year olds McIntosh, Pickett, Grimes, Martin, and Naismith. Trade out 27 yr old Baker and next year still field a team with twelve players with over 100 games each.

Personally i think the minimum turn over for us should be 10.

for me they are

Grimes 33 ret.
Martin 33 ret.
Naismith 33 ret.
Pickett 33 ret/del
McIntosh 31 ret/del.
Baker 27 trade
Colina 25 del
Cumberland 24 del
Dow 23 del
Coulthard 23 del.

FB: Vlastuin 30/227 - Miller 25/39 - Gibcus 21/20
HB: Broad 31/141 - Balta 25/98 - Trezise 22/3

C : HRS - 23/44 - Taranto 27/147 - D Rioli 27/177
R : Nankervis 30/152 - Hopper 28/136 - Prestia 32/219

HF: Mansell 24/47 - Koschitzke 24/56 - Bolton 26/139
FF: MRJ 23/35 - Lynch 32/220 - Bauer 22/4

Graham 27/127 - Brown 21/16 - Ross 24/68 - Lefau 26/10

Short 29/169.

That would be close to our starting team next year . 19 players aged 23 or more. 12 players with 100 games or more given Balta should get there in the next few weeks. You will then have another 4 close to 50 games or more.

And thats without the ten named players.

One thing for sure in all that we are not going to clear all our oldies in one go. We can cut real hard and still have plenty of experienced players left.
But imo we do need to cut fairly hard this year and the next few.
Apart from Prestia and possibly Graham, I think you have pretty much nailed it. I'd also keep Pickett.

Reactions: 1 users
I prefer a slow transition rather than falling off a cliff.
Haaarrgh. Here I was thinking we were just waiting for the thump when we landed.
With so many constant injury issues to our older core of senior players, does anyone really notice anymore who's playing or not?
Yes there's a lot to do with culture, standards n guidance. But it's almost getting to the point of the older champs short of hovering around n hovering some more while the young blokes are trying to get out from under the shadow n thinking they'll b dropped as soon as the champs are fit again.
Dusty, Grub, Lynchman, Prestygiaocomo, how much more footy do these blokes have left to give? Might seriously b time to cut the knot n move forward again.

Haaarrgh. Here I was thinking we were just waiting for the thump when we landed.
With so many constant injury issues to our older core of senior players, does anyone really notice anymore who's playing or not?
Yes there's a lot to do with culture, standards n guidance. But it's almost getting to the point of the older champs short of hovering around n hovering some more while the young blokes are trying to get out from under the shadow n thinking they'll b dropped as soon as the champs are fit again.
Dusty, Grub, Lynchman, Prestygiaocomo, how much more footy do these blokes have left to give? Might seriously b time to cut the knot n move forward again.
We're not going to move forward yet. We haven't hit rock bottom.

We're not going to move forward yet. We haven't hit rock bottom.
If we hit rock bottom it will take years and years. We don't need to go there.
What we should be doing is putting emphasis on young players getting a game while we still have experienced players, who have enjoyed success, playing at or near their best.

Reactions: 2 users
If we hit rock bottom it will take years and years. We don't need to go there.
What we should be doing is putting emphasis on young players getting a game while we still have experienced players, who have enjoyed success, playing at or near their best.
That, I think we can all agree with.
My definition if rock bottom by the way, is the losses that come from having a young, inexperienced and physically smaller/weaker team. Those losses can be heavy.
But I'd rather see those types of games with a dozen talented kids, than triers and pension collectors.

Then get rid if Teague today and stick Prestia next to Yze.
Prestia can't play anymore. He has non stop broken down since 2022.
No chance he gets a contract
Teague might have more coaching talent than YZE ? Ever thought about that .
Remember Voss was a sacked coach

Then get rid if Teague today and stick Prestia next to Yze.
Prestia can't play anymore. He has non stop broken down since 2022.
No chance he gets a contract
Not sure about that. He played 19 games in 2022 , 20 in 2023 and just 8 so far this year.
Yes the level he has played at at times has left a bit to be desired.

We have by my count 11 players who have shown they can win ball inside Taranto or a bit of both in/out Martin as an example.

Martin may retire or ask for a trade , Graham and Baker are likely to ask for a trade and neither imo are great mids. I don't think Graham will get any takers and will stay. There's a question Keep Prestia or Graham?
Imo Dow should be delisted.

It leaves just the following

Bolton who probably spends more time as a fwd,
Sonsie who imo is a bust and does not do enough inside. Reckon next year will be his last if he cannot find a harder edge for the level.
Taranto our best inside mid
Hopper who is pretty decent when fit
Prestia who believe it or not while not at his best still provides plenty. Still one of our better mids despite everything.
McAuliffe who in the terms of things is a baby.
Ross just for the heck of it i will mention him. Imo he just has not been developed as an inside mid and plays more outside.

Even if we Trade or get in a few f/a and we get two top 10 picks in the draft imo Prestia is still needed.

I think what is clearly missing on that list are a few inside out mids who have real pace and power.

We must maintain a balance of older players but we also have to get it right and make sure we are moving on enough.

Especially those like Pickett and McIntosh who have a pack of 20 thru 27 year olds screaming out for running roles breathing down their necks.
Unlike Prestia who is not really going to be depriving anyone of a game.
Imo keeping and playing these two given where we are at, well it is tantamount to robbing younger better options of games.

What have either done to demand a spot on the list in recent years especially Marlion.?

Reactions: 2 users
I neglected to do this, but the other info I got on Sunday:

* club has pulled the trigger on strategy to do a conventional rebuild. They had hoped that they'd be able to compete in finals with fit & healthy list - a last roll of the dice. We've subsequently moved on (I can't say how long ago the club did that, just that it's done)
* Players are going to be told of their futures starting in August. (We've heard hints about this via Yze in media). Some anxiety amongst those on fringes (see below)
* Dylan Grimes is stuffed completely. Was in a position where he wasn't able to move physically after a game. They'd do some work on him to help get him moving post match, but was one of the last to leave the ground. The club obviously love him and wanted to do something special for a farewell, but highly doubtful he'll be capable. Might just be a drive around the G to say farewell if he's healthy enough. Retirement will be announced later if they can't get his body to respond for a farewell.
* Baker, still no clearer on his future. He's torn. Everyone knows he is. Yze doing well apparently to help him manage his emotions and maintain focus. Reminding him he's a premiership player, and all he owes us is a good week on the track and out on the ground each week. Commit to the now, etc.
* Some vocal players challenging others to get out of their numbness/comfort zone and accept where the club is at and fight out the season, rather than let it slip by. Those vocal players in group are confident we don't need the no. 1 pick to bounce back and that we have lots of talent. Some folks need to lift their off field standards to meet their potential, so pushing them.

Reactions: 23 users
I neglected to do this, but the other info I got on Sunday:

* club has pulled the trigger on strategy to do a conventional rebuild. They had hoped that they'd be able to compete in finals with fit & healthy list - a last roll of the dice. We've subsequently moved on (I can't say how long ago the club did that, just that it's done)
* Players are going to be told of their futures starting in August. (We've heard hints about this via Yze in media). Some anxiety amongst those on fringes (see below)
* Dylan Grimes is stuffed completely. Was in a position where he wasn't able to move physically after a game. They'd do some work on him to help get him moving post match, but was one of the last to leave the ground. The club obviously love him and wanted to do something special for a farewell, but highly doubtful he'll be capable. Might just be a drive around the G to say farewell if he's healthy enough. Retirement will be announced later if they can't get his body to respond for a farewell.
* Baker, still no clearer on his future. He's torn. Everyone knows he is. Yze doing well apparently to help him manage his emotions and maintain focus. Reminding him he's a premiership player, and all he owes us is a good week on the track and out on the ground each week. Commit to the now, etc.
* Some vocal players challenging others to get out of their numbness/comfort zone and accept where the club is at and fight out the season, rather than let it slip by. Those vocal players in group are confident we don't need the no. 1 pick to bounce back and that we have lots of talent. Some folks need to lift their off field standards to meet their potential, so pushing them.
Agree with this. I reckon Duz, Grimo, Prestia and Naismith will retire with Baker traded leaves 5 spots open + whoever gets delisted (I can only see Cumbo at this stage)

Agree with this. I reckon Duz, Grimo, Prestia and Naismith will retire with Baker traded leaves 5 spots open + whoever gets delisted (I can only see Cumbo at this stage)
Check the Prestia thread. He wants to come back on a lower wage, and help support our young fellas while playing when his body allows.
If he doesn't play, it'll be someone else's decision.

Reactions: 6 users

I reckon 1 of Kmac or Pickett will also leave the club, whether thats retirement or if they get given a chance elsewhere I'm not sure. Kmac in particular would be great at another rebuilding club even if just to set standards. Can leave as an UFA of which we may not get much in return.

Check the Prestia thread. He wants to come back on a lower wage, and help support our young fellas while playing when his body allows.
If he doesn't play, it'll be someone else's decision.
I'd rather he coaches just like Lambo. Seems silly risking 1 spot give he gets injured too often now.

I'd rather he coaches just like Lambo. Seems silly risking 1 spot give he gets injured too often now.
I wouldn't disagree with you, in fact I'd already pensioned him off in my first post in the thread. I'd moved him off, but kept other older guys around the club because their bodies hold together better.

We could cut trade delist 30 year olds McIntosh, Pickett, Grimes, Martin, and Naismith. Trade out 27 yr old Baker and next year still field a team with twelve players with over 100 games each.

for me they are

Grimes 33 ret.
Martin 33 ret.
Naismith 33 ret.
Pickett 33 ret/del
McIntosh 31 ret/del.
Baker 27 trade
Colina 25 del
Cumberland 24 del
Dow 23 del
Coulthard 23 del.

FB: Vlastuin 30/227 - Miller 25/39 - Gibcus 21/20
HB: Broad 31/141 - Balta 25/98 - Trezise 22/3

C : HRS - 23/44 - Taranto 27/147 - D Rioli 27/177
R : Nankervis 30/152 - Hopper 28/136 - Prestia 32/219

HF: Mansell 24/47 - Koschitzke 24/56 - Bolton 26/139
FF: MRJ 23/35 - Lynch 32/220 - Bauer 22/4

Graham 27/127 - Brown 21/16 - Ross 24/68 - Lefau 26/10

Short 29/169.

That would be close to our starting team next year . 19 players aged 23 or more. 12 players with 100 games or more given Balta should get there in the next few weeks. You will then have another 4 close to 50 games or more.

And thats without the ten named players.

One thing for sure in all that we are not going to clear all our oldies in one go. We can cut real hard and still have plenty of experienced players left.
But imo we do need to cut fairly hard this year and the next few.
I'll swap you Graham and Short for Baker and Dusty and you have a deal. That backline actually looks pretty good.

That, I think we can all agree with.
My definition if rock bottom by the way, is the losses that come from having a young, inexperienced and physically smaller/weaker team. Those losses can be heavy.
But I'd rather see those types of games with a dozen talented kids, than triers and pension collectors.
I just think we need to also be conscious of how we treat Premiership servants of the club. They have taken the club to the top of the mountain time and time again and those blokes have earned respectful options when their careers wind down. I think that can still be done whilst loading up again.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

for me they are

Grimes 33 ret.
Martin 33 ret.
Naismith 33 ret.
Pickett 33 ret/del
McIntosh 31 ret/del.
Baker 27 trade
Colina 25 del
Cumberland 24 del
Dow 23 del
Coulthard 23 del.
Reckon this is a pretty easy list to put together. 10 names, without one controversial call.

You maybe add Rioli, Short and Graham to that list. It's time.

Reckon this is a pretty easy list to put together. 10 names, without one controversial call.

Reckon one of Pickett and Kamdyn will get a contract. Meatball still lineball.

But if it is the 10 you mentioned, think that would give us 7 picks across the national and rookies drafts. Which would be about right.

The break-up would depend on how many rookies we upgrade i.e. Campbell, Mikelti etc.

@mrposhman knows this better than anyone and might clarify if we take that path.