2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

Hawthorn supporters were going to the footy three years ago knowing exactly what the club was doing and happily did so knowing that one day soon they would win 11 straight and be a finals contender.

Mitchell is smart, challenging and single-minded. The benevolent dictator.

The draft is the only answer and we have a small window to use it.

Short term pain, but purpose and unity with classy kids. Tiger supporters will go to the footy watching the next generation of Reiwoldt, Cotchin, Martin and Rance lead the way.

It can happen very quickly with quality kids.
Amazon Studios Nigel GIF by Amazon Prime Video
Don’t screw up those picks.

Reactions: 1 user
The Hawks didn't trade their mid 20's players though. They traded their over 30's and probably paid the penalty in early years, but there is still merit in what they did, as it forced them to blood youngsters but they weren't trading their best players in the 25-27 year old bracket. I actually don't remember anyone that has followed that path.

To me its a nuclear option. Its weird, you go through so many drafts trying to find players with the x-factor of a Shai for example, and heaps want to get rid of him.
I was kind of expecting that response. From memory the Hawks didn't have many in that age bracket because Clarko had them trade out to get players to try keep the run going. Others like Cyril, Scully, Patton retired. Vickery and Jono o'rourke didn't make it. Pittinet was traded.
They screwed that age bracket up pretty badly in my eyes.
However, I agree with your approach. People are dummy spitting because we're not flag contenders instantly. Baby. Bathwater. Out it goes. Oh yeah and the coach too.....all the while complaining about the exodus of too many people at once.
Flabbergasted is an understatement.

Reactions: 10 users
A lot of people have thrown this out, trade Bolton and Rioli along with Baker (who I think is gone), but can anyone point me towards a team that has fallen to the bottom of the ladder, traded all their best players (in mid 20's not 30's) and that has rebounded quickly?
“Traded all their best players”

Posh this is hyperbole

Reactions: 1 users
Hawthorn supporters were going to the footy three years ago knowing exactly what the club was doing and happily did so knowing that one day soon they would win 11 straight and be a finals contender.

Mitchell is smart, challenging and single-minded. The benevolent dictator.

The draft is the only answer and we have a small window to use it.

Short term pain, but purpose and unity with classy kids. Tiger supporters will go to the footy watching the next generation of Reiwoldt, Cotchin, Martin and Rance lead the way.

It can happen very quickly with quality kids.
Great stuff Achilles

Except Hawthorn shows the draft is not the only answer. 8 of their 23 on the weekend started at other clubs.

The draft is not the only answer. It never has been and it never will be.

Reactions: 21 users
Except Hawthorn shows the draft is not the only answer. 8 of their 23 on the weekend started at other clubs.

For us going hard in the draft means clearing out some good prime-age players.

If we manage player payments smartly, you can dip in again on good mature players via free agency a little down the track to complement the high quality kids coming through.

Going hard in the draft isn’t the daft notion some seem to think it is.

There are many levers Hartley’s team can pull to ensure the list is in reasonable balance.

Reactions: 4 users
For us going hard in the draft means clearing out some good prime-age players.

If we manage player payments smartly, you can dip in again on good mature players via free agency a little down the track to complement the high quality kids coming through.

Going hard in the draft isn’t the daft notion some seem to think it is.

There are many levers Hartley’s team can pull to ensure the list is in reasonable balance.

Thats certainly the case, I think it comes down to how hard we want and need to hit the draft. We can get 4 picks in the top 21 of the draft with just losing Bakes. We've already added promising talls Blight and Gray and will likely add Lockwood this year too. We have 2 more drafts after this one before whatever Tassie concession kick in, we have plenty of ammunition for those drafts to enable us to make the most of the high end draft picks we need for our next premiership tilt without completing gutting the list.

We also need to manage our ability to win games, and not fall into the trap that several teams before us (and us before them) have shown in that losing frequently is a tough habit to break out from. I reckon the Hawks are a great example of not allowing that to become the norm.

Reactions: 4 users
Right at this very moment we have picks 1, 21, 36, 39, 41, 54, 57, 63, 68.

Baker may get us a top 20 pick. Bundling some picks up may get us another decent pick.

If getting top 10 picks is the aim then Rioli to gcs may get us one . At age 27 if its to be done then this year is it.

I still maintain Baker is as good as gone and he is out of contract which most conveniantly keep over looking. Fremantle have picks 7,12,16,25 and 61.
Anything under pick 16 and they will want something coming back their way. We don't hold the aces in this hand.

I also believe Graham will explore his options again. and if a betting man id say Dusty is gone as well.

Still firmly believe 10 changes is a minimum if rebuild is the go.

The question to be answered is clearly how much farther do we have to fall? still nowhere near bottom out yet imo.

For the loss of Baker and Rioli if we could walk away with something like

1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 25, 36. Would be a very good start to a rebuild. A few canny f/a's and the odd trade and state leaguer.
Adequate turnover of aged past it and not good enough players.

It could easily be that we have bottomed out in ladder position and will rise but not yet bottomed out with list position if that makes sense.

Over the next 2 seasons three at the utmost the following will be gone.

Lynch, Vlastuin, Grimes, Baker tde, Martin, Pickett, Prestia, Naismith, Broad, Nankervis, mcintosh and probably Graham.

We need to make sure 6 or so of those above are gone this year.

Further to that Taranto will be 30 and Hopper already injury prone 31. If Rioli stays he will be 30.

Thats not to mention sub standard players and and kids who won't make it. or are people expecting all of the kids to make it.

We are nowhere near that hard jolt at the bottom of the fall.

I was merely trying to identify players that we could get something for (not suggesting that any or all would be traded).
There are clearly players that we will not get anything for in trades. (Pickett, Grimes, Naismith, McIntosh are the obvious ones).

Lynch - 1st Rounder
Vlastuin - 2nd
Baker - 1st
Rioli - 1st & 3rd
Bolton - 1st & 2nd
Balta - 1st & 3rd
Short - 2nd
Martin - 1st
Prestia - 2nd
Broad - 2nd
Nankervis - 2nd
Graham - 3rd

There may be others but have ignored most of the younger guys

Yeah, we have two players in the VFL that I think are worth placing on the list. El Nour and Davidson. El Nour has massive upside and Davidson is a smart footballer who has a big tank.

True.
But when there's a massive smorgasbord sitting on the tables in front of you, better make sure you're hungry n ready to pig out. Then after that you can take the time to roam at leisure and snack on random tidbits, hor dourves, savouries or sweets as takes your fancy.

Supposedly a very strong and even draft this year and we've got the opportunity to get a handful of early picks of the best talent. Might even be able to do similar again at next years draft. There's where you get the core of your future team, then pick up n fit in random available talent from other clubs to supplement your core. Same as we did not that long ago when we added the likes of Presty, Nank, Cadds, Lynch to the core we'd already built.

Reactions: 2 users
True.
But when there's a massive smorgasbord sitting on the tables in front of you, better make sure you're hungry n ready to pig out. Then after that you can take the time to roam at leisure and snack on random tidbits, hor dourves, savouries or sweets as takes your fancy.

Supposedly a very strong and even draft this year and we've got the opportunity to get a handful of early picks of the best talent. Might even be able to do similar again at next years draft. There's where you get the core of your future team, then pick up n fit in random available talent from other clubs to supplement your core. Same as we did not that long ago when we added the likes of Presty, Nank, Cadds, Lynch to the core we'd already built.
correct, people are waaay too conservative on this issue. like our list is already has a delicate balance that needs retaining.

it's an 18th list. it needs re-stumping.

I was merely trying to identify players that we could get something for (not suggesting that any or all would be traded).
There are clearly players that we will not get anything for in trades. (Pickett, Grimes, Naismith, McIntosh are the obvious ones).

Lynch - 1st Rounder
Vlastuin - 2nd
Baker - 1st
Rioli - 1st & 3rd
Bolton - 1st & 2nd
Balta - 1st & 3rd
Short - 2nd
Martin - 1st
Prestia - 2nd
Broad - 2nd
Nankervis - 2nd
Graham - 3rd

There may be others but have ignored most of the younger guys
I would like you to sell my old Commodore.

• Haha