Winderlich a Tiger? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Winderlich a Tiger?

People keep saying that this type of trade costs us nothing. That is rubbish.
What it costs is the chance to develop a younger player in the role/position that will benefit the side when we are ready to challenge.
This on top of re-signing Newman. I just don't get it. Games into McDonough, Lennon, etc is the way forward, not treading water.

It is definitely a short cut decision, but we have such a hole in the list for fast mid/fwd. As long as we bring in some juniors of the same type then we should be able to maintain our competitiveness without hurting our long-term development too much. He pushes Foley or Gordon out of the 22 IMO.

Disco said:
What it costs is the chance to develop a younger player in the role/position that will benefit the side when we are ready to challenge.
This on top of re-signing Newman. I just don't get it. Games into McDonough, Lennon, etc is the way forward, not treading water.
Well said!!!

This club will never learn. Dimma is in full preservation mode now and will grab any cheap wins he can. Madonna can easily play any role Winderlich may be recruited for with plenty of upside/potential. This bloke is just killing this club. Has Frawley written all over it. We didn't pay much for Hudson all those years ago either but we saw how well that worked out.

If we had just missed out on the flag then fair enough but not when we are so far off the pace.

Can see us picking up some more dead wood that other clubs will offload instead of putting everything into drafting our own and player development.

It boggles the mind to see we are even interested in Winderlich, I just hope it doesn't come to fruition. If it does I will be venting on here like never before.

Turns 30 in 3 days. Averages 10.6 games a season, ave 16 disposals a game and 0.6 goals a game.

Just such a short term option which I'm generally not a fan of. We are laughing at North for doing this.

If we are going to trade our draft picks do it for long term quality picks as I can't see Essendon just letting him walk through FA.

Chances are we'd get 1 or 2 seasons out of him ie 20-30 games. Wouldnt you rather pump that into Matt McDonough.

I suppose I could handle it if he were picked up with the last pick in the rookie or the PSD.

If Winderlich goes to Sydney they would have both Licka and Hiscox on their list.

I like Winderlich. Would be happy to take him on the cheap. FA or 4th rounder on a one year is fine with me.

Mappa said:
I don't see how or why we micro analyse each and every decision the club makes.

A spot on a list of 40-odd is not insignificant. We should be building for a sustained assault on the top 4, not just for the next coupla years.

We get him as a free agent and he fills a hole left by Jake King I am more than happy.

We need an established player while McDonough and Lennon are learning the ropes.

What i like about Winderlich is like Zaharakis he refused to take part in the "program"

Tigertool said:
I like Winderlich. Would be happy to take him on the cheap. FA or 4th rounder on a one year is fine with me.
That would be my thinking on it. We're probably not going to use the 4th round pick anyway. If we did that he'd want to be depth. I've heard he's a hard trainer, so he'd set a good example for some of the younger guys on the track and he's there if something happens to one of the young guys or their bodies start to show signs of wear and tear throughout the season.

All for it as long as it doesnt cost us too much. Hopefully a 5th round pick or higher.

See him as a replacement for King. Hopefully he can also help groom/develop/mentor a young player who in turn will take over his position when he reitires.

Al Bundy said:
All for it as long as it doesnt cost us too much. Hopefully a 5th round pick or higher.

See him as a replacement for King. Hopefully he can also help groom/develop/mentor a young player who in turn will take over his position when he reitires.

He's a lot taller than king, he's more Deledio

I agree, If we pick him up as a free agent, he is not costing us anything.

I think I understand where Richmond are coming from by recruiting
Winderlich. We have lost a lot of experience in Jackson, King and Edwards,
He replaces one of them, he also gives us some speed which we lacked all
year.

He gives us 1 or 2 years so we can also recruit speed in draft and develop
them so they replace him when ready.

We lost King and White over last 2 years and throw in Nahas which were all
quick.

Like I said if he costs us nothing, not bad only negative is that he keeps
a young player out of team and has had a few injuries and turns 30 soon.

Disco said:

Agree.
Do I see him playing in out next grand final? No.