Winderlich a Tiger? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Winderlich a Tiger?

Would rather find out if Lloyd, Gordon and McDonough are good enough. They need maximum game time. Dimma will favour Winderlich at the selection table. Need to invest in the next layer coming through, not a one year stop gap. This trade makes no sense to me at all. we are looking at an injury prone 30 year old to remedy our lack of pace?

Harry said:
Would rather find out if Lloyd, Gordon and McDonough are good enough. They need maximum game time. Dimma will favour Winderlich at the selection table. Need to invest in the next layer coming through, not a one year stop gap. This trade makes no sense to me at all. we are looking at an injury prone 30 year old to remedy our lack of pace?

Winderlich could be a handy sub at a bare minimum, would make for an excellent mentor for the developing guys. We need more leaders at the club.

Smoking Aces said:
Richmond is aware of Winderlich’s durability issues but believe he fills a key hole with his pace and forward-line class.
They will continue to go to the draft with their early picks and say recruiting Winderlich does not add expectation to next year.
Rather, they need quick players and will go and find a player they could give them two years of solid service.

All risk. I'm glad we're aware of, but it's FA or no deal. Bummers are as stubborn as a brick wall.

If he is free, he would add depth. If he plays one or two years gives kids from this draft and lennon time to develop at a natural pace. People complain of players not being dropped for bad games. I see it as no one forcing changes from underneath. Will help with pressure on who is best 22! Thats gotta be a good thing. Seems like we have some younger guys who wont make the grade. If he plays 12 games this year it will be worth it. If he dosnt we have lost nothing except a potential outside pick in the draft or a spot for a player who hasnt been able to break into the best 22 and probably wont!

bullus_hit said:
Winderlich could be a handy sub at a bare minimum, would make for an excellent mentor for the developing guys. We need more leaders at the club.

It's pretty much a meh trade. won't add any core improvement to the list, injury prone, 30 years old and it's not like he's had an elite career and won flags. looks like a trade so we can be seen to be doing something. why bother. target a gun, or early draft picks or go home and be done with it.

Bill James said:
I don't get this, Garlett plays more games, makes more tackles, kicks more goals and is almost five years younger, was/is available isn't this a better fit with our forward line?

Consider the fevola factor!!!!

fatherjack.gif

Apparently he's said he won't be playing for Essendon anymore, whatever happens. He'll either come to us via FA or retire. Strange situation.

Re: Winderlich a Tiger?

So let me get this straight, getting Winderlich relies on Essendon acting in a reasonable manner in a trade negotiation with it's player best interest genuinely at heart?

I give it a 100-1 shot

Col.W.Kurtz said:
So let me get this straight, getting Winderlich relies on Essendon acting in a reasonable manner in a trade negotiation with it's player best interest genuinely at heart?

:rofl

The EFC are a joke of a club.

Col.W.Kurtz said:

I give it a 100-1 shot

One positive is that we've seen this before, Essendon spends the first week of trade period demanding the oppostiion's best player and then ends up reluctantly doing reasonable trades for Crameri/Jenkins/Monfries

Tigers of Old said:
I don't reckon they'll let him play for us. The trigger clause will be the stumbling block.
They possibly won't. Can't he just retire and then be picked up as a rookie? Similar to Ben Hudson and the Pies.

smasha said:
Very handy pickup I reckon and we'd get him for nix.

What's to lose?

Agreed so long as we stick to our guns he adds pace which we need.

Bill James said:
I don't get this, Garlett plays more games, makes more tackles, kicks more goals and is almost five years younger, was/is available isn't this a better fit with our forward line?

Garlett would come at a far far greater cost, both in transfer costs and salary. Winderlich would come for pretty much nothing and probably close to minimum player wage.

Garlett will be traded for a negligible pick so that's not correct.

There must be off-field reasons for us not chasing him. Otherwise it simply makes no sense.

Leysy Days said:
Garlett will be traded for a negligible pick so that's not correct.

There must be off-field reasons for us not chasing him. Otherwise it simply makes no sense.

we'll see about the pick but I would have thought the off field reasons were obvious.

No doubt there are concerns about Garlett and his lifestyle, but we are crying out for a small forward with pace, and one who is capable of kicking 40+ goals a year is there.

For a late pick, I can't see why we wouldnt get involved. Carlton would probably pay some of his salary.

Chasing Winderlich is an obvious admission that we made a mistake letting White go.

DragicevicFan said:
No doubt there are concerns about Garlett and his lifestyle, but we are crying out for a small forward with pace, and one who is capable of kicking 40+ goals a year is there.

For a late pick, I can't see why we wouldnt get involved. Carlton would probably pay some of his salary.

Absolutely agree, Christ we took on Ben Cousins, couldn't we back ourselves to manage his behaviour ?