Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Smoking Aces said:
Not sure FJ had much of an option here. The Rioli name picked itself.

Maybe I am just getting bitter CC. The game yesterday was the tipping point.

No so fast - at the draft our first selection was Matthew Kennedy (GWS) and then Eric Hipwood (Bris).
If these teams didn't bid up, Rioli wouldn't have been at the club. I guess our recruiting team knew there selection would be matched, and perhaps they knew Rioli would be our selection, but why play Russian Roullette with our draft selections?

Pappy said:
No so fast - at the draft our first selection was Matthew Kennedy (GWS) and then Eric Hipwood (Bris).
If these teams didn't bid up, Rioli wouldn't have been at the club. I guess our recruiting team knew there selection would be matched, and perhaps they knew Rioli would be our selection, but why play Russian Roullette with our draft selections?

:hihi gee a no win situation with some people.

Smoking Aces said:
Not sure FJ had much of an option here. The Rioli name picked itself.

Maybe I am just getting bitter CC. The game yesterday was the tipping point.
I know he loved Cyril just as much as Bruce does now SA, so he may have thought I'm not missing another Rioli....looks like been our best first rounder since Dusty

CC TIGER said:
I know he loved Cyril just as much as Bruce does now SA, so he may have thought I'm not missing another Rioli....looks like been our best first rounder since Dusty
Fair enough CC.

Anyway we have a good one here. Can't wait to get Maurice junior as well.

It seemed obvious to me from the get go this kid was gonna be a star. If he hangs around for another five years he might get to shine in finals. Here's hoping.

Pappy said:

oh dear, here we go.

Pappy said:
I would not have minded getting Hipwood or Kennedy, all 3 are totally different, however could be all stars, I don't think they were risking losing Rioli, I'd imagine most clubs would have rated the other two in front of Rioli

CC TIGER said:

CC my friend, What if I told you that Daniel was a Blair call?

nikolasmia said:
CC my friend, What if I told you that Daniel was a Blair call?

It was Blair's call to recruit a small forward, Ah Chee was our first preference.

Smoking Aces said:
Fair enough CC.

Anyway we have a good one here. Can't wait to get Maurice junior as well.

Only about a thousand sleeps Aces.

Earlier in the season I relayed a conversation I had with a close relative of a Richmond player. I won't say who it was but he is a current senior player and is likely to remain one!!

The player told his relative that the improvement in Daniel Rioli from when he came to the club to that point in time ( which was about round 4-5) was staggering and that it was scary to see where his ceiling might be. If I am right in my memory Daniel's junior career was characterised the same way with him improving enormously the year before he got drafted.

This season has been the same. He is now getting his hands on the ball more often and looking like a bona fide AFL player where earlier in the season it was flashes only.