Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

I dont get the midfield obsession.

I'd rather a little bloke kick 500 goals. But thats just me.

antman said:
Yep. Hope he plays more in the midfield over the next few years. He'll start predominantly forward though until he builds a tank and a body.
Yeah, I dunno, surely Dimma will run him off the back line for a season or so......

easy said:
I dont get the midfield obsession.

I'd rather a little bloke kick 500 goals. But thats just me.

I don't think it's an obsession. I do clearly remember the club mentioning that he was a midfielder so people are just portraying what they hear. But if he was chosen on TAC form, it wouldn't have been as a midfielder.

tigerlove said:
I don't think it's an obsession. I do clearly remember the club mentioning that he was a midfielder so people are just portraying what they hear. But if he was chosen on TAC form, it wouldn't have been as a midfielder.

point taken, but I was commenting more on the preoccupation with a smalls capacity to play mid. I get it to a point, but small forwards are a different breed to some extent. Blokes like Eddie Betts and Cyril and Walters have a run in the guts but predominately stay front and square of the big blokes near goals.

I think to have a 50 goal a year small forward, which we have been desperate for for 10 years, you need 'em to spend the majority of their time a kick from the big sticks. I do admit a sentimental view of the game. But its retro round ;D

Barnzy said:
Not based off any junior form or afl form. Never has proven at any level he can win the ball consistently.

Generally if a kid struggles to find it at lower levels it continues on more times than not. Yet he's a mid? Hmm.

Tracking to be an okay small forward at this stage.

Yep.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he can be a mid. Maybe a high half forward who pushes up and does the bolt back.

Although it's very on brand for Richmond to try and turn players into mids instead of drafting them.

SCOOP said:
Yep.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he can be a mid. Maybe a high half forward who pushes up and does the bolt back.

Although it's very on brand for Richmond to try and turn players into mids instead of drafting them.
Spot on SCOOP.

If you want a midfielder then just bloody draft one. It aint rocket science.

Smoking Aces said:
Spot on SCOOP.

If you want a midfielder then just bloody draft one. It aint rocket science.

I've barked it for ten years. It clearly is rocket science.

happy with his game tonight. a lot of good moments, and again a lot of almost great moments. Getting there.

Was great tonight, probably the most consistent 4 quarters I've seen from him. Defensive pressure outstanding.

easy said:
top game. runs the wing very well

Excalty. The fitter he gets he will be unreal to watch.
In one play tonight he was on the back of the square then he was in forward fifty finishing off a play that got us a goal.

Was very good. To see more involvement rather than flashs was great to see.

more improvement. was happy to see after he kicked his goal he went to the next ctr bounce & pressure the coll player as he kicked it out.

Jonesracing82 said:
more improvement. was happy to see after he kicked his goal he went to the next ctr bounce & pressure the coll player as he kicked it out.
Yeah, was good to see him in the guts.