Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Tigertough1974 said:
Need to sign him up for another 2-3 soon, don't want him going to hawks to be with his cousin...

I'd be in no hurry. He's going to be a good replacement for edwards in the long term. I'm not sure he's ever going to be good enough to fit into that hawthorn side.

Some really promising signs. Essendon was in hindsight the perfect game for him to get the feel of the pace at AFL level. Next week against Hawks will be a totally different ball game and will be interesting to see how he goes.

He used the ball quicker against Esserdon. That give to Grigg. The lightning dummy in the middle of it. The way he engineered the situation. Wow.

More quick use and this kid will come into his own. He's begun to.

Rioli's potential is obvious for all to see. Needs to be managed through the remainder of the season and then undergo a pre-season that sets him up for an improved 2017.

Concerned that he doesn't have that real zip of Cyril or the power of Maurice. In saying that he looks like a good to decent player perhaps not as much as I hoped.

A few of Rioli's highlights this week - just making that aerial contest against Frawley in the first quarter was brilliant. Forcing the ball our way to Drummond (Frawley was trying to hit Gibson with the tap) was inspired. Frawley should have made his target easily. Rioli caught him off guard.

I sat in the bleachers for the game to keep an eye on our formations and running patterns. Rioli is a star runner. (We need more.) He covers more miles than anybody and he closes from impossible positions. And he just keeps going.

This bloke is nothing like Cyril Rioli. The comparisons based on the common genes are natural but irrelevant. Daniel is blue collar. Yes, he's very smart. But it's his work rate. He is quick. His determination and his willingness to run are standouts. He's a natural midfielder and he's going to be a very fine one. He's too small and inexperienced to use his inside game much as yet but his outside defensive game is the best at the club.

Note that he had the beeps and the velocity when we recruited him.

Dyer'ere said:
A few of Rioli's highlights this week - just making that aerial contest against Frawley in the first quarter was brilliant. Forcing the ball our way to Drummond (Frawley was trying to hit Gibson with the tap) was inspired. Frawley should have made his target easily. Rioli caught him off guard.

I sat in the bleachers for the game to keep an eye on our formations and running patterns. Rioli is a star runner. (We need more.) He covers more miles than anybody and he closes from impossible positions. And he just keeps going.

This bloke is nothing like Cyril Rioli. The comparisons based on the common genes are natural but irrelevant. Daniel is blue collar. Yes, he's very smart. But it's his work rate. He is quick. His determination and his willingness to run are standouts. He's a natural midfielder and he's going to be a very fine one. He's too small and inexperienced to use his inside game much as yet but his outside defensive game is the best at the club.

Note that he had the beeps and the velocity when we recruited him.
re: our setup etc i lost count how many times we tried to run (switch) the ball out of the backline only to find 3 opposition players on thier own to kick too....
but anyway i saw Rioli's pressure 1st hand in Rd 1. Blues tried running the ball out of the backline & Rioli chased & pressured 4 blokes in a row. it was amazing to see from a 1st gamer. the clip on "Dimma's dissection" pointing this out speaks for itself, our other Players can learn a lot from watching that.

Jonesracing82 said:
re: our setup etc i lost count how many times we tried to run (switch) the ball out of the backline only to find 3 opposition players on thier own to kick too....
but anyway i saw Rioli's pressure 1st hand in Rd 1. Blues tried running the ball out of the backline & Rioli chased & pressured 4 blokes in a row. it was amazing to see from a 1st gamer. the clip on "Dimma's dissection" pointing this out speaks for itself, our other Players can learn a lot from watching that.

It's Paul Kelly like, Alan. If we had three like him the ball would live in our forward line between centre bounces.

easy said:
really hope he doesnt go from stkilda to kings cross.

hes a ripper. was always gonna be.

I dunno how far he can go, e,t. But I'm optimistic about him. BTW if he does go to King's Cross he should come home on Olympic.

Please Please Daniel, be the A grade small forward we have been crying out for, run and carry that ball to the goals.

This is the type of player we missed in the last 3 finals.

I wish you all the best for the next years and hope you get he play the game you want to play.

B2

Lazarus said:
Guarantee he'll play more as a mid than small forward when he gets a bit of experience. And why the hostility?

Yep. Hope he plays more in the midfield over the next few years. He'll start predominantly forward though until he builds a tank and a body.

Lazarus said:
He's not a small forward he's a mid.

Not based off any junior form or afl form. Never has proven at any level he can win the ball consistently.

Generally if a kid struggles to find it at lower levels it continues on more times than not. Yet he's a mid? Hmm.

Tracking to be an okay small forward at this stage.

And Ling was a full forward. .. i think Dan has the tools to make it... and who knows, he may end up being a great running half back, it's just so hard to tell with mids and smalls.

Apparently Rioli has a big engine so you can never rule out him playing midfield but most of his TAC games were as a forward. His best disposal tallies were 17 and 16 disposals.