Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

As I've said, would like to see more of him. Certainly his junior highlight tape showed some ability, but I know not to trust these too much (see Conca).
However, Dan Rioli has only averaged 9.1 disposals but at AFL level. Has a heap of potential though i agree.

For Butler, might depend on what deals we make/picks we have left, quality in the draft. Possible re-rookie? Still might be too early to write him off.

Leysy Days said:
You got it right at the end.

Butler was a poor selection who will be one of the first delisted at end of year ILO.

I do know this is the Rioli thread, but in the context of where we left our discussion of Dan Butler by way of comparison, maybe this is pause for thought. From latest VFL report:

"Dan Butler
19 disposals, five tackles, seven inside-50s

Played the best VFL game that I’ve seen him play. His 19 disposals as a small forward, and his intensity and tenacity to fight and win the ball back and tackle, was a real standout. He played above the level."

Like I said, maybe give this kid some more time.

leon said:
Many on PRE are happy we lost for draft position. I can see that. But I would also argue that, tactically, if we had played Cal Moore to take Easton Wood in that game, instead of someone because he has an illustrious family name, we would have won that game.

we had Jack, Griff and McBean. Wood was on one of these most of the game. What would Moore have done those guys didnt?

Brodders17 said:
we had Jack, Griff and McBean. Wood was on one of these most of the game. What would Moore have done those guys didnt?

Have you watched him much? He has genuine leg-speed for a 193cm tall, real pace, a big leap and he attacks the ball aggressively. Thought I explained in my post. Jack is not fast, Wood is a far better athlete, although not necessarily footballer, but twice Jack was disappointing. He appeared to have the drop on his opponent over the back but they got back on him and spoiled. Several times Wood beat him to the fall of the ball and easily ran it out. I love Griff and nurse some patience for Bean but neither has great speed.

Cal Moore is still too lightly built but some pre-seasons in the gym and hopefully improved kicking and he could become our version of Stringer. Could have kept Wood honest; he's the Dogs rebounder.

Best game so far. Great hands today and involved in a number of goals. Good to see him slot one from 40 as well.

Pace like we haven't seen for a long time. Daniel has a lot of work to do but you get the feeling he's going to be an excitement machine. Gee I hope we don't wipe it out of him. So nice to see a player use their instinct and back them self.

3 goal assists and one of his own. The handball to Grigg was sweet.

He's been bashed a little around these parts, but I think he's exceeded expectations this year. Plenty of growing room too.

Need to sign him up for another 2-3 soon, don't want him going to hawks to be with his cousin...

lightning pace and pressure, agree with others, look forward to seeing him develop, 200+ game player

All skin and bone atm but a bit of a hard nut. Fill him out a bit but keep his speed and enthusiasm and is going to carry the Rioli dynasty onwards post Cyril

His tackling techniques spot on, doesn't crunch and collide, roles with there body weight beautifully, always try's to pin an arm too