Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

rokkafella said:
Dare I say, Tambling-esque performances this year so far

Not sure about a Tambling comparison. He flew for a couple of marks against much bigger opponents tonight to make a contest. He also gave a spirited, but ultimately ineffective, don't argue at one stage. He's willing. I reckon he'll be OK but he's a waif at the moment.

Dimma has the philosophy that first rounders should play from the start. I understand logic, but I do believe young players should be eased into the game through the VFL before being thrown in with the wolves from first round (obviously there are exceptions). I just believe this can impact on their confidence level.

Still think he will become a star, but think that Dimma didn't do him favours by starting him straight off the bat.

It's obvious his not AFL ready and personally think more midfield time in the 2s would be more benificial for him, however his there's a small forward vacancy atm, so can see why his been played. Most will disagree but I don't think his elite speed reputation is true, his quick but far from lightning imo.

Sintiger said:
I watched him a few times tonight quite close up and I have absolutely no doubt he is going to be a very good player for us. The only issue he has is with his body , he tries to do things that he is not yet physically capable of.

2 pre seasons and he is a star, back it in.

One thing you have to say about him as well is that despite his light frame the kid is fearless.
Yep, kid's got masses of ticker n effort.
More than happy for him to keep getting a solid run of senior games as long as his energy holds up. Kid will learn far more at the elite pressure n intensity this year even if he doesn't get a lot of it himself.

Season's officially stuffed so now it's about the promise n potential of a heap of youngsters and most importantly getting a block of senior games into them. Get the information n data from a group of games at elite level so they can properly instruct where the kids are doing it right and wrong. Not just from one game here or there when they can be intimidated by the sudden lift in intensity.

I want to believe, but early indications are not great.

He does at least have a good nose for the blitz tackle.

As most people have indicated he needs an extended period in the magoos to work on getting more pill. There's no rush. We have a number of other kids who can play in the firsts while Rioli rounds out his game.

TigerMasochist said:
Yep, kid's got masses of ticker n effort.
More than happy for him to keep getting a solid run of senior games as long as his energy holds up. Kid will learn far more at the elite pressure n intensity this year even if he doesn't get a lot of it himself.

Season's officially stuffed so now it's about the promise n potential of a heap of youngsters and most importantly getting a block of senior games into them. Get the information n data from a group of games at elite level so they can properly instruct where the kids are doing it right and wrong. Not just from one game here or there when they can be intimidated by the sudden lift in intensity.

Apparently Dan Butler played a much better game in the loss to Footscray in the VFL, but haven't got any match stats, just Ryan's report on the thread. So does this apply to him as well, before the season's out and if his form is maintained? Or will Butler be cut without so much as a debut game?

I watched the previous VFL game against Casey and didn't think Rioli did much besides some tackles. But laid much fewer in AFL game because players are so much bigger, faster and harder to tackle. Not that sure why he was given another AFL game. Do you drop Hunt to bring Grigg back in? That would be the popular choice on here, but compare Hunt's disposals with Rioli's.

If you swapped the two Dans' surnames, is there such a big performance gap? However, very different opportunities.

I also have been calling for Castagna's return as far more justified that Rioli's. See the difference. DR needs much more time to develop; as another poster termed it - the body of a waif.

evo said:
I want to believe, but early indications are not great.

He does at least have a good nose for the blitz tackle.

As most people have indicated he needs an extended period in the magoos to work on getting more pill. There's no rush. We have a number of other kids who can play in the firsts while Rioli rounds out his game.

In terms of small forwards, Gresham for the Saints looks far better early.

leon said:
Apparently Dan Butler played a much better game in the loss to Footscray in the VFL, but haven't got any match stats, just Ryan's report on the thread. So does this apply to him as well, before the season's out and if his form is maintained? Or will Butler be cut without so much as a debut game?

I watched the previous VFL game against Casey and didn't think Rioli did much besides some tackles. But laid much fewer in AFL game because players are so much bigger, faster and harder to tackle. Not that sure why he was given another AFL game. Do you drop Hunt to bring Grigg back in? That would be the popular choice on here, but compare Hunt's disposals with Rioli's.

If you swapped the two Dans' surnames, is there such a big performance gap? However, very different opportunities.

I also have been calling for Castagna's return as far more justified that Rioli's. See the difference. DR needs much more time to develop; as another poster termed it - the body of a waif.
Would be happy to see Butler get a few games to at least finish the year n see what he's got. Much prefer Grigg in to replace Hunt than Rioli to go out. Not sure Rioli's going to ever play much magoos footy, kids got plenty to learn n desperately needs to find a little size. But it just seems that whenever he's around the ball there's a little buzz in intensity and anticipation that somethings going to happen, he brings plenty of chase, harassment n tackling without yet getting much ball himself. It'll come n more than happy for him to stay in the side the rest of this year.
Yep, like George, he's bringing some good stuff to the team that plays a lot of stilted footy.

Not getting much of it at the moment but would only play him in the twos if you wanted to give him midfield time.

he doesnt need to get much of it. but he does need to snag a couple.

keep playing for me, and look forward to an extra 10kgs. Power to weight ratio when tackling is off the richter.

Didn't get much of it but his pressure was good. I'd keep playing him.

BrisTiger24 said:
We might as well get the games into him for the rest of the year.

Does he have explosive pace? Seems to struggle to get separation. If he can develop that, I think we will see a better player

This is what I am concerned with ATM. A few times this year has gathered the ball while being chased and hasn't quite accelerated as much as you'd hope (although it looks like he is). On the weekend, when he was being chased (can't remember who his chaser was), Rioli had to run on an angle to make the tackler miss as he just didn't have enough speed to get separation in a straight line.

But hopefully this improves as he gets older.

Rioli has very good pace, particularly off the mark. And freakish agility. The change of direction is his friend. The stop, prop, twist, go.

Having said that we should maybe get him to use the ball more quickly for a while. Takes the heat off him. Opponents currently assume he'll carry. He's predictable in that way. If he uses immediately about half the time he doubles his unpredictability.

I was not in favour of promoting him for last weeks game based on his VFL game. But I could understand us doing that. Rioli is part of a bigger thing - a buzz. He's a big contributor to this new group frenetic running. And a star of it when the other side has the ball.

He wrestles a lot. Much larger opponents. In the packs. The young bloke is tiring during the games but he goes again and again. He's a breath of fresh air.

TigerMasochist said:
Would be happy to see Butler get a few games to at least finish the year n see what he's got. Much prefer Grigg in to replace Hunt than Rioli to go out. Not sure Rioli's going to ever play much magoos footy, kids got plenty to learn n desperately needs to find a little size. But it just seems that whenever he's around the ball there's a little buzz in intensity and anticipation that somethings going to happen, he brings plenty of chase, harassment n tackling without yet getting much ball himself. It'll come n more than happy for him to stay in the side the rest of this year.
Yep, like George, he's bringing some good stuff to the team that plays a lot of stilted footy.

Many on PRE are happy we lost for draft position. I can see that. But I would also argue that, tactically, if we had played Cal Moore to take Easton Wood in that game, instead of someone because he has an illustrious family name, we would have won that game.

Wood is the Dogs' Rance. So fast and athletic with a big leap, reads the ball in flight superbly, intercepts and rebounds with quality disposal and decision-making. But if he had a similar type to mind such as Cal, with great athleticism, speed and high-marking ability, he wouldn't be zoning off so comfortably. Not because Call kicks that straight but he would have posed such a threat to keep Wood honest; he was too fast and clever for our slow tall forwards, won the game for them when it mattered.

leon said:

You got it right at the end.

Butler was a poor selection who will be one of the first delisted at end of year ILO.

Leysy Days said:
You got it right at the end.

Butler was a poor selection who will be one of the first delisted at end of year ILO.

So sure are you? Well he was taken pick 67 so probably not that much guaranteed.
But as discussed on his thread, has lost many VFL games due to injury. Personally I just haven't seen enough of him to be certain. TBF, maybe deserves one more year. Can develop a lot more and build his body up. Shows speed and smarts. Watch form in ensuing VFL games I'd say for a start.

When your highest possession tally at VFL level is 16 possessions you have miles to go.

In his draft year he was never prolific either - 11 touches a game at the champs and not much better for North Ballarat.

And he doesn't have the tricks of say a Rioli that suggests there is the scope to improve in comparison.