Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

It was Rioli-esque. He had Dempsey on him. Giving away 10 years, 115 games, three inches and 20 kilos to a bloke who can play. Quiet, but not disgraced.

spook said:
It was Rioli-esque. He had Dempsey on him. Giving away 10 years, 115 games, three inches and 20 kilos to a bloke who can play. Quiet, but not disgraced.

You forgot the gigantic beard spookyman.

Yeah no disgrace in getting towelled by a good defender.

I saw two pretty crafty goal assists.

This kid is almost certainly gonna play 250 in Y&B and kick 500 goals

spook said:

Dempsey is a FA this year i think.....

always reluctant to criticise a first year kid but he does seem to do a lot of 'witnessing'.

spook said:
Particularly with how young he is and how inexperienced. Give him a year or two and he'll be making guys like Dempsey look really stupid.

spook said:

Wow, putting Dempsey on him is pretty major respect. Surprising. Dempsey was one of their best.

I'm a fan of Dempsey. When he gets on the park (too infrequently) he can seriously play. Turns 29 later in the year. Free agent, huh? Wouldn't be the worst idea.

Did we ever hear why he didn't jab up? Integrity?

I think I'm right saying Dempsey was one of the four we neally took at pick 8 in 05 when we went for Jims Mowings president, think they ruled him out because of the go home factor ( Cairns) Muston ( Knee) and lastly Varcoe because of the foot, pretty sure FJ an GM flew over to Adelaide 2 nights before the draft too see Varcoe again it was just the foot was too risky?

QRtiger said:
AFL site said he hurt his knee.

Don't think there is too much to worry about with Dan's knee, hurt it about 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter and was hobbling around a bit but he played out quarter and game even though strapping had been applied and he didn't look 100%. Doubt our medical staff would have allowed him to play out the game if there was even a hint of further damage.

CC TIGER said:
I think I'm right saying Dempsey was one of the four we neally took at pick 8 in 05 when we went for Jims Mowings president, think they ruled him out because of the go home factor ( Cairns) Muston ( Knee) and lastly Varcoe because of the foot, pretty sure FJ an GM flew over to Adelaide 2 nights before the draft too see Varcoe again it was just the foot was too risky?

IIRC Miller thought we had him socked away as a surprise third rounder then Dempsey was a late firmer and rocketed up the order. He went before our second. We knew we were probably going to miss out.

CC TIGER said:
There were 3 indigenous players and 3 non.
I think it was Jims, Varcoe, Dempsey.
Then Higgins, Jones and Muston.

We had a 33% chance at failure. ......

Someone in the third qtr fell on him, really knocked the stuffing out of him

The_General said:
There were 3 indigenous players and 3 non.
I think it was Jims, Varcoe, Dempsey.
Then Higgins, Jones and Muston.

We had a 33% chance at failure. ......
And didn't we fail in style ;D

I'm all for playing the kids, however I think it might do Rioli no harm to have a few games in the midfield at VFL level, his heads Probally not spot on for footy ATM anyway

CC TIGER said:
I'm all for playing the kids, however I think it might do Rioli no harm to have a few games in the midfield at VFL level, his heads Probally not spot on for footy ATM anyway

last night wouldnt have been any fun at all i50.

Him and Jack managed to do a few tricks.

If I was him and Jack, I'd be buying a house in Blacktown.

CC TIGER said:
Agree needs some time at a lower level to get his hands on the ball and gain some confidence. He has potential written all over him but doesn't do enough to warrant a spot in the team atm. My guess is that if his name wasn't Rioli he wouldn't have played as many games so far.

CC TIGER said:

I tend to agree. He's had a taste now but to me he seems to be struggling a little with the pace. Did a couple of magical steps last night but just getting caught as trying one too many things.

MalenyTiger said:
Agree needs some time at a lower level to get his hands on the ball and gain some confidence. He has potential written all over him but doesn't do enough to warrant a spot in the team atm. My guess is that if his name wasn't Rioli he wouldn't have played as many games so far.
Yep getting smashed by quality defenders every time he picks up the ball, no harm in going back to a slower tempo to build some confidence, let him balance up on his kicks , find space a bit easier......important year of development and adjustment for him