Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

I posted this a while ago but as we are in a Rioli mood I will again. I heard this from a relative of a player about 6 weeks ago and it was told directly to him by the player.

When Daniel first came to the club they could see the raw talent but the expectation was that he would spend 2016 developing in the vfl. Since the start of the pre season his improvement has been staggering to a level that was not expected by anyone.

My understanding is that his last year in TAC was a similar trajectory.

The kid clearly loves the Tiges as much as we do. Footy nous and blistering pace, but also the swagger of a player who revels on the big stage. All of this at 18. Great pick in the draft.

SCOOP said:
Completely lost it after the match. Was in tears, sobbing uncontrollably. The family matter that Cyril took off to and the joy of winning got to him.

The pleasing thing and hopefully reported thing was Shane Edwards & Jack Riewoldt wrapped in him in a joint bear hug to shield him and allow him to regain composure.

And Jack & Lids had a word in head ear for about 30 seconds and he was back to normal. Huge leadership moment.
He's a humble young fella and has handled things really well for the short time he has been at the club. I think blokes like titch and Jack are helping build his confidence. I reckon Jack tries to get him involved in the play whenever he can. Probably should give Rioli a rest soon as he has played a hell of a lot more minutes than anyone expected of him this year. Keep him fresh.

tigersnake said:
I've watched the replay of that running goal about 10 times, it was spine tingling, with each bounce the roar from the tiger crowd grew, then when he stuck it through the roof came off! great moment.

His tackling for a lean young bloke is sublime

That goal was very un-Richmond like. When was the last time we had a bloke run that fast, take 4 bounces and kick a goal.

I loved his pace. But the thing I loved more was his composure to settle just a moment before he kicked the ball. That made sure of the goal.

tigerlove said:
Still seems a bit slow with his reaction times to me. But he's still getting accustomed to the faster pace. Is progressing well.
That second goal where he passed the ball off at ground level and then sprung back up and managed get back on the end of it - Pretty slick reaction and reflexes in that play..

Great to see he kept his head up after a quiet match to make an impact in the last. I bet this kid is loving playing in the yellow and black.

BrisTiger24 said:
That goal was very un-Richmond like. When was the last time we had a bloke run that fast, take 4 bounces and kick a goal.

I loved his pace. But the thing I loved more was his composure to settle just a moment before he kicked the ball. That made sure of the goal.

Very astute obs Brissie.

There are small signs that he has something special. It's actually good he is doing nice things here & there as opposed to tearing a game apart & then having to live up to that & expectations. Great last qtr & even if he isn't impacting games his tackling & chasing is 1st class. Once he gets a bit of strength about him he will be able to impact contests more & more

French Tiger said:
There are small signs that he has something special. It's actually good he is doing nice things here & there as opposed to tearing a game apart & then having to live up to that & expectations. Great last qtr & even if he isn't impacting games his tackling & chasing is 1st class. Once he gets a bit of strength about him he will be able to impact contests more & more

He's just got it, the running, the talk with team mates, the come-from-nowhere smothers and tackles, thats aside from the flashy stuff.

And even though he's not there yet, the always trying and looking to make the best decision and/or break tackles and/or weave out of heavy traffic. You can just see that a bit more strength and experience he'll be doing it all the time.

Building quickly is Daniel.

Wait til he gets some strength through his core to break and stick tackles. Will elevate then.

Needs to keep working on his kicking as well.

The four bounce running goal has been the highlight of the season so far.

Baloo said:
The four bounce running goal has been the highlight of the season so far.

This was possible due to the change in game plan by Hardwick in the 4th 1/4, normaly our forward line is that congested there is no room to move.

Finally he is seeing reason and embracing a better game plan even if it is the Bulldogs game plan.