Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

It sure is exciting, he has some serious wheels.
His tackling has been mentioned, I was also impressed with the pressure he put on the Carlton players. Sometimes he may not have laid a hand on them but they knew he was there. That pressure causes turnovers, it's great to see that trait in such a young player.

SCOOP said:
I’ve watched the tape this morning and it doesn’t do justice to the inferred pressure he put on the Carlton defence.

For his first game he was a defensive weapon. And sure he was spent by half way through the third quarter but that was due to his defensive efforts, not his offensive efforts. For a young bloke to dedicate the majority of his efforts to defensive pressure inside our 50, it shows a team first mentality. Understanding that at this stage of his development, he can influence a game more without the ball and accepting it is huge. Look at the Lloyd blind turn goal, who harassed the ball out of Weitering arms, Rioli. Defensively there were shades of “delicious”.

But, missing that Riewoldt play on goal was huge. Carlton were on the ropes, swaying. 16 points down I think, we kick that and I think it is the ball game. Must finish. And that will come.

Any talk of this boy not playing the first 12 games are folly. He gives something we haven’t had in decades.

I love this post sCOOP. Agree 100%. I know this might sound weird, but when he missed the advantage goal my first thought was that its a good lesson for him, bummer to blow the goal but good long term education.

Re that advantage miss. I think this was a simple case of indecision. You could see it in his face and kick. No big deal for a debutante.

Is the umpire not obliged to bring it back if it is a point, or is that now the rule? We were bloody stiff

Tigerflag2008 said:
Is the umpire not obliged to bring it back if it is a point, or is that now the rule? We were bloody stiff
The rule is now that if the player plays on then whether it's to advantage or not becomes moot.

tigersnake said:
I love this post sCOOP. Agree 100%. I know this might sound weird, but when he missed the advantage goal my first thought was that its a good lesson for him, bummer to blow the goal but good long term education.

I was shattered for a couple of reasons, when he missed it caused we had them on the ropes. Really did. It was 12 points the difference and would’ve put us 18 points up. It was the point when Carlton heads drop. And secondly he hasn’t had a great moment with the ball in hand, he worked hard without but he deserved the reward for effort. Carton then came back and kicked 3 in ten minutes. Different game.

Rioli would’ve learnt a lot in one game. Playing in front of 75k last week and 75k again this week is like debuting in two finals. Worth 20 games.

But the club learnt a lot more, there is a lot to work with. And it’s something we lack.

In his first game at AFL level Rioli did quite well for a newcomer. However he still has much to learn the game without losing any natural flair and that takes time, probably more in VFL footy than AFL. We may well have a star but right now at this stage of development we shouldn't expect too much from him.

tigersnake said:

And in his post-match interview, Jack didn't have a problem at all with Rioli playing on and having a go ... seemed to like the young fella's initiative and also mentioned that he was looking forward to seeing Rioli kicking his first AFL goal.

Bullarto Tiger said:
And in his post-match interview, Jack didn't have a problem at all with Rioli playing on and having a go ... seemed to like the young fella's initiative and also mentioned that he was looking forward to seeing Rioli kicking his first AFL goal.
Yep, loved Jack's response. Think he may have said he wouldn't mind him doing it again as he is an instinctive player. I didn't mind it really, would have loved for him to kick it and really feel at home.

Rancey18 said:
Yep, loved Jack's response. Think he may have said he wouldn't mind him doing it again as he is an instinctive player. I didn't mind it really, would have loved for him to kick it and really feel at home.

Was right decision to play on but I felt he was half waiting for the umpire to blow the whistle and bring it back. He should have just sprinted to the goal line and would have been a certain goal.

Obviously depending on form , but wouldn't mind seeing his first season split between forward line duties at AFL level and a lot of midfield action at VFL

antman said:
Like I said, no way Rioli plays a whole lot of games in a row. He's just too slight.

He's fine. Slight players can be tough. And a lot of good players started slight. Besides, I don't think he is that slight anyway myself. Pretty standard 18 yo frame. If he's tough enough and ready, he'll play, if he's not he won't. Cork first game, no big deal.

SCOOP said:
I was shattered for a couple of reasons, when he missed it caused we had them on the ropes. Really did. It was 12 points the difference and would’ve put us 18 points up. It was the point when Carlton heads drop. And secondly he hasn’t had a great moment with the ball in hand, he worked hard without but he deserved the reward for effort. Carton then came back and kicked 3 in ten minutes. Different game.

Rioli would’ve learnt a lot in one game. Playing in front of 75k last week and 75k again this week is like debuting in two finals. Worth 20 games.

But the club learnt a lot more, there is a lot to work with. And it’s something we lack.

He can do the thing that few can, the thing King could do, the thing Dimma wishes Morris could do, the thing Menadue can do well at 65kg - Rioli can heat two opponents at once. And he can do it often.

CC TIGER said:
Jack I was watching DR in the warm up and it dawned on me that his kicking style is not unlike Tambling. Decent signs but a long way to go no doubt, looks more mid then forward to me

I think he'll improve, CC. And I totally agree on him being a mid. And potentially a very good one - soon.

Smoking Aces said:
Cant kick? Think you might have this one wrong. Awkward kicking style but effective. Almost nailed that goal outside 50.

I think he'll learn to kick, SA, but I'm just noting for the record the very low base he came from in Round 1 2016 (and in the pre season too). He did get some range on that kick but his other kicks were very immature from my PoV.

One of the things I like best is noting a player's flaws so that his improvement can be praised in a measured way - accurately. Rioli is going to improve.

BTW I'm very disappointed that he's missing tonight with that corkie. I want him to play every game from next week on.